Indian Premier League - General Discussion

Verified Enigma

PlanetCricket's Sherlock Holmes
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Champions League Winner
Avengers
We dont want anymore bits and pieces player.
Manjrekar-BCCI_571_855.jpg

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Let’s hope Holder wins it for SRH

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
:lol

What has SRH done here? Botched up a total that was easily chasable! Will Holder seem them through?

If they do not win this match, they definitely are not winning 3 out of 3 against MI, DC and RCB!

On the other side if Kxip lose, they are still playing RR,CSK and KKR, have more chances compared to SRH.

Also on a side note, if SRH do not win this, have the robbed points from other teams by winning 4 games? :D:lol (Sorry but not sorry for illogical stuff from cricket pundits)

Last edited:

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
SRH, what are you doing?

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I really don't know how you screw up a chase like that. Really pathetic stuff. Pandey is such an odd player, he scores 83 off 47 at the same ground the other night, but strikes at 50 today.

SRH don't deserve to be in the top 4 if they play like that.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
I really don't know how you screw up a chase like that. Really pathetic stuff. Pandey is such an odd player, he scores 83 off 47 at the same ground the other night, but strikes at 50 today.

SRH don't deserve to be in the top 4 if they play like that.
I mentioned last time that Pandey has played the innings of the tournament. You wont see him scoring again like that. As a KkR fan, have seen his this side.

Velocity

International Coach
India
SRH...
Avengers
Profile Flag
India
I mentioned last time that Pandey has played the innings of the tournament. You wont see him scoring again like that. As a KkR fan, have seen his this side.
Yeah I remember he played similarly last season. He didn't score crap for the first half, but played 1-2 good innings in the second half. SRH lack good consistent Indian batsmen in their side and it clearly shows today.

Verified Enigma

PlanetCricket's Sherlock Holmes
Champions League Winner
Avengers
SRH were one of the top sides few years ago, winning it in 2016 and being on top for many seasons previously

why went wrong?

for csk it was aging players and all knew eventually the day will arrive, exit of raina hurt more, bhajji not so much may be.

but downfall of SRH is baffling me

i guess this means that SRH was purely relying on their top overseas contingent and moment they look weak, the team scatters like cards
their bowling was their mainstay as well with bhuvi fizz shakib rashid nabi kaul and co

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
SRH were one of the top sides few years ago, winning it in 2016 and being on top for many seasons previously

why went wrong?

for csk it was aging players and all knew eventually the day will arrive, exit of raina hurt more, bhajji not so much may be.

but downfall of SRH is baffling me

i guess this means that SRH was purely relying on their top overseas contingent and moment they look weak, the team scatters like cards
their bowling was their mainstay as well with bhuvi fizz shakib rashid nabi kaul and co
  1. Letting Dhawan go.
  2. Not getting a good Indian keeper-batsman.
  3. No reliable middle order players except Kane.
  4. Bowling heavily dependent on Rashid and Bhuvi.
  5. Off-season for Warner.

Bevab

Staff Member
To add onto what @Yash. has mentioned, SRH also suffer partially from relying on the same tactic for years of bowling out opposition for low scores or defending low scores without quite having the right personnel or conditions for it, similar to CSK. 2016's Bhuvi and Fizz were godly at the death at that time. At the moment you have Natarajan who despite the deserved praise he gets is a shadow of how good Fizz was back then and Bhuvi has also not been the same since 2017.

To cite an example of one franchise who have adapted well, it has to be Delhi. They went in 2018 with a squad that was not tailored to handle their own home ground's sluggish conditions, which they rectified in the 2019 auction with some smart purchases and reached the playoffs as a reward. They doubled down with further additions that made perfect sense for a team about to play seven games on the Kotla pitch like Ashwin, Hetmyer and Stoinis for the 2020 season. After the postponement of the IPL and the move towards UAE with two overseas stars pulling out, what did they do? They roped in an additional express pacer who was on the verge of being called world class in Nortje and an all-rounder who can bowl pace in Sams to ensure that their squad had the option to tackle more pace friendly surfaces should they be the norm. And so far, they've been richly rewarded for it.

Bevab

Staff Member
Kolkata seem to have hit the jackpot with Narine as the floating basher in the middle overs. His introduction raises the very simple question in the opposition captain's head of "do I risk bowling a pacer who I normally save for the death to get this bloke who may not actually be that important if we could tie him down with the others or do I save the premium pacer(s) and take the risk with spinners and a non-important pacer?". Still can be a risky ploy if you don't have a Rana or Gill at the other end settled as the insurance plan but in a side filled with doubts this could be vital. Wonder how Russell gets back into this side.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
To add onto what @Yash. has mentioned, SRH also suffer partially from relying on the same tactic for years of bowling out opposition for low scores or defending low scores without quite having the right personnel or conditions for it, similar to CSK. 2016's Bhuvi and Fizz were godly at the death at that time. At the moment you have Natarajan who despite the deserved praise he gets is a shadow of how good Fizz was back then and Bhuvi has also not been the same since 2017.

To cite an example of one franchise who have adapted well, it has to be Delhi. They went in 2018 with a squad that was not tailored to handle their own home ground's sluggish conditions, which they rectified in the 2019 auction with some smart purchases and reached the playoffs as a reward. They doubled down with further additions that made perfect sense for a team about to play seven games on the Kotla pitch like Ashwin, Hetmyer and Stoinis for the 2020 season. After the postponement of the IPL and the move towards UAE with two overseas stars pulling out, what did they do? They roped in an additional express pacer who was on the verge of being called world class in Nortje and an all-rounder who can bowl pace in Sams to ensure that their squad had the option to tackle more pace friendly surfaces should they be the norm. And so far, they've been richly rewarded for it.
Delhi has Jason Roy's hamstring and Chris Woakes' newborn to thank.

Replacing two overseas, one who I imagine would be surplus to requirements, is easier given the available talent. CSK, for example, were having to replace domestic players. I expect there's no/few glaring omissions from the tournament of Indian players available to fill in for Raina, at least. (Especially when the captain doesn't seem to have much confidence in those there already).

SRH the same. Impossible to replace Bhuvi. They're left with Pandey as the leading Indian player (and he's a fringe international, right?). It looked like they were going Marsh as 4th overseas, then Nabi came in for a match, then Williamson, now Holder. So they look stuck in a state of stronger batting or stronger bowling. Someone like Colin de Grandhomme might have been a better replacement for Marsh. Nabi probably deserved more than one game though.

Last edited:

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
Well, that's the end of the road I guess for SRH. 17-7 ? I'm still processing that.

Agree with the opinion that STH don't deserve a spot in the top 4. Clearly the others have played much better.

Yash.

Staff Member
India
Ireland
ENG....
SRH...
QG
Melbourne Stars
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Pretty happy that Gaikwad and Jagadeesan weren’t dropped... Also get to see Santner in action... Great!

Users who are viewing this thread