Indian Premier League - General Discussion

Tell finally, do RR and CSK have any say over the players from RPSG and GL. Cricinfo says that they can retain from them, but you all say they cant.
No. They have right over players who played for their respective franchise (CSK and RR) before they played for Pune and GL. This is what I understood.

CSK and Rajasthan can retain a player who played for Rising Pune Supergiants and Gujarat Lions. In the case of Ben Stokes, he did not play for any other team before he played for Rising Pune Supergiants. So technically, CSK and RR have a right to retain him. If any other team bids the highest for Ben Stokes, CSK and RR can match that highest bid. Then between CSK and RR, who matches the higher of the highest bid can retain Ben Stokes. I believe this is how it might happen, although the exact details is unclear.
No they cannot. He never played for CSK so they can't retain him. That's what I read in cricbuzz.

If RCB have one ounce of sense, they won't retain Chris Gayle! But I am 100% sure they will. Can they retain Starc?
Starc officially left RCB last year. He can't be retained by anyone.
CSK and Rajasthan can retain a player who played for Rising Pune Supergiants and Gujarat Lions. In the case of Ben Stokes, he did not play for any other team before he played for Rising Pune Supergiants. So technically, CSK and RR have a right to retain him. If any other team bids the highest for Ben Stokes, CSK and RR can match that highest bid. Then between CSK and RR, who matches the higher of the highest bid can retain Ben Stokes. I believe this is how it might happen, although the exact details is unclear.
CSK will retain him..

As said in ESPNCricinfo
Chennai Super Kings and Rajasthan Royals, the two franchises returning from a two-year suspension, will be able to retain players from among those who were in their squads in 2015, and from the list of their players who represented Rising Pune Super Giant and Gujarat Lions in 2017.

No they cannot. He never played for CSK so they can't retain him. That's what I read in cricbuzz.

This is what Cricinfo says

Cricinfo said:
Chennai Super Kings and Rajasthan Royals, the two franchises returning from a two-year suspension, will be able to retain players from among those who were in their squads in 2015, and from the list of their players who represented Rising Pune Super Giant and Gujarat Lions in 2017

See the part in bold. Stokes did not play for any other team other than Rising Pune Supergiants. Therefore it comes under that list of players 'who represented Rising Pune Supergiants in 2017.

Edit: Wait. I think the word 'their players' makes a difference. Well I take my words back. I think u might be right. But its very unclear.

This is what Cricinfo says

See the part in bold. Stokes did not play for any other team other than Rising Pune Supergiants. Therefore it comes under that list of players 'who represented Rising Pune Supergiants in 2017.
Read it again. It says "from the list of their players who represented Rising Pune Super Giant and Gujarat Lions in 2017". Meaning whichever csk and rr players represented for pune and gujarat, only those players can be retained. Not stokes or other guys who were not part of csk nor pune.

Isn't it ? I am bit confused lol

Read it again. It says "from the list of their players who represented Rising Pune Super Giant and Gujarat Lions in 2017". Meaning whichever csk and rr players represented for pune and gujarat, only those players can be retained. Not stokes or other guys who were not part of csk nor pune.

Yes. I edited my post before you posted this reply. Cheers! Looks like Stokes is going to be hot property at the auctions. Would be delighted if he wears yellow in IPL 2018. :D :p

Its confusing. CSK and RR can retain players from 2015 and from their list who represented RPS and GL. It dosen't make much sense. If CSK and RR can only retain from 2015 list, then why cricinfo quoted and from the list of their players who represented Rising Pune Super Giant and Gujarat Lions in 2017 ?

Its confusing. CSK and RR can retain players from 2015 and from their list who represented RPS and GL. It dosen't make much sense. If CSK and RR can only retain from 2015 list, then why cricinfo quoted and from the list of their players who represented Rising Pune Super Giant and Gujarat Lions in 2017 ?
Example-

Jaddu was part of csk in 2015. Now he is part of gl in 2017. So, csk can retain him.

Suppose jaddu was part of rcb or any team apart from gujarat and pune, csk cannot retain him as he belongs to rcb.

This is my understanding. I might be wrong.

Example-

Jaddu was part of csk in 2015. Now he is part of gl in 2017. So, csk can retain him.

Suppose jaddu was part of rcb or any team apart from gujarat and pune, csk cannot retain him as he belongs to rcb.

This is my understanding. I might be wrong.
So those CSK or RR players who played for any other team apart from RPS and GL in 2017, cannot be retained?

It looks like an 'AND' clause rather than an 'OR' clause (for those who are familiar with SQL programming). Two conditions need to be met:

The player should have been a part of the CSK/RR squad in 2015

AND

The player should have played for Rising Pune or Gujarat Lions in 2017

If both these criteria are met, the player can be retained by CSK/RR. Stokes does not fulfill the first criteria (i.e. he did not play for CSK or RR before). So he goes back into the auction.

"will be able to retain players from among those who were in their squads in 2015"

Meaning, if any player who was part of csk/rr in 2015 and if he is not part of any team after that, csk/rr can retain them

"and from the list of their players who represented Rising Pune Super Giant and Gujarat Lions in 2017 ?"

Meaning, if csk/rr players of 2015 were part of gl/pune, csk/rr can retain them

Not true. CSK and RR have the right to retain players who played for them in 2015 and who are in the RPS and GL squad.

Not true. CSK and RR have the right to retain players who played for them in 2015 and who are in the RPS and GL squad.

Read my posts after I posted the one which you've quoted. I've retracted my statement in subsequent posts.

RR's options include Ajinkya Rahane, Steven Smith, Ankit Sharma, Rajat Bhatia, James Faulkner and Dhawal Kulkarni

CSK's options include MS Dhoni, R Ashwin, Faf du Plessis, Baba Aparajith, Ankush Bains, Suresh Raina, Ravindra Jadeja, Dwayne Bravo, Brendon McCullum, Dwayne Smith, Andrew Tye, Irfan Pathan and Ishwar Pandey

Everyone else is either in the pool or belong to other franchises.[DOUBLEPOST=1512572734][/DOUBLEPOST]
Read my posts after I posted the one which you've quoted. I've retracted my statement in subsequent posts.

I had already submitted my post by then.[DOUBLEPOST=1512572839][/DOUBLEPOST]I am very intrigued to know what CSK fans feel. Should/does MSD deserve to be retained @ 15 crores? May be Raina asks for that kind of retainer? Same applies to Gambhir and AB de Villiers. They are all in the 30's and this is a very important auction!

Users who are viewing this thread