Indian Premier League - General Discussion

Its officially announced. A team can retain up to 3 players before the auction and 3 with 'Right to Match' cards (total max of 5 with a combination of the two). This is great news for all those teams that have built up a brand around its players.

For CSK, pretty straightforward. Hope they retain Dhoni, Raina and Jadeja and use the RTM cards for McCullum and Bravo. As much as people are talking about retaining or using RTM card on Ashwin, I would say CSK should not waste these options on him as he is not a T20 bowler anymore and is not even a constant part of India's ODI side at the current moment. Rather, Dhoni and CSK should look to get Washington Sundar, who is a similar kind of bowler to Ashwin (more agility, younger brain). I am not sure if CSK can use RTM card on Sundar since Sundar debuted in IPL for Rising Pune Supergiants, who do not exist anymore. But if they can buy Sundar, it would be awesome.

Last edited:
They can only rain 3 capped Indians so Ashwin is out of the question.

I think you will find most teams going for out and out retentions and anyone hardly using a RTM card. MI will lose out the most here. There's no way they're allowing the likes of R Sharma, H Pandya and J Bumrah in the auctions. This means the likes of Harbhajan, Rayudu and co go in the auctions. They will retain Krunal as the uncapped Indian and Pollard as the foreign player. If they have any sense, they will retain Buttler.

Retentions by franchises-

Mumbai

Rohit
Bumrah
H Pandya
K Pandya
Pollard

Chennai

MSD
Raina
Jadeja
Bravo
?

Kolkata

Gambhir
Uthappa
Pandey
Russell
?

Bangalore

Kohli
Rahul
Chahal
AB
Gayle (unfortunately)

Faf Du Plessis was not played much even though he was picked for Pune in the past two seasons. I don't think he will be retained above Brendon McCullum, whose big hitting prowess should still be alive and can be a huge asset to have. I would be stunned if Faf is retained over BMac.

Some very very tough calls could be made. Do CSK go for MSD @ 15 crores? GG for KKR is the same question? AB for RCB @ 11 crores?

If I were the franchise owner of any of the 3 I wouldn't retain any of these 3 for that price.[DOUBLEPOST=1512570062][/DOUBLEPOST]Watch out for Ben Stokes. He will go for over 20 crores IMO.

If RCB have one ounce of sense, they won't retain Chris Gayle! But I am 100% sure they will. Can they retain Starc?

Watch out for Ben Stokes. He will go for over 20 crores IMO.
CSK will retain him..

As said in ESPNCricinfo

Chennai Super Kings and Rajasthan Royals, the two franchises returning from a two-year suspension, will be able to retain players from among those who were in their squads in 2015, and from the list of their players who represented Rising Pune Super Giant and Gujarat Lions in 2017.

Srh-
Warner
Bhuvi
Rashid
Dhawan (maybe)

If RCB have one ounce of sense, they won't retain Chris Gayle! But I am 100% sure they will. Can they retain Starc?
Exactly. I want to see starc but can we retain him as we let go of him in last ipl ? If we cant retain Starc, we should retain Badree atleast.

Tell finally, do RR and CSK have any say over the players from RPSG and GL. Cricinfo says that they can retain from them, but you all say they cant.

CSK has no right over Ben Stokes. He goes into the auction and the highest bidder will get him.

CSK and Rajasthan can retain a player who played for Rising Pune Supergiants and Gujarat Lions. In the case of Ben Stokes, he did not play for any other team before he played for Rising Pune Supergiants. So technically, CSK and RR have a right to retain him. If any other team bids the highest for Ben Stokes, CSK and RR can match that highest bid. Then between CSK and RR, who matches the higher of the highest bid can retain Ben Stokes. I believe this is how it might happen, although the exact details is unclear.

Users who are viewing this thread