Profile Flag
Australia
Punjab Kings: Eat, Sleep, Collapse, Repeat

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Initially I agreed with this but in some way the IPL can be a beacon a hope for many. Just my take on it though, you know like in this time of h

Brilliant post.

May not seem a popular opinion but is it possible the IPL is providing a beacon of hope to some fans? I mean all this heartache fans are going through atleast they can see some glimmer of hope in cricket still being played at the highest level in T20? Look Indian cricket fans are the most passionate in the world so in some way the IPL continuing is good in some way? Not sure if I am making sense and cant believe I just wrote something positive about the IPL.

I disagree with this take because who exactly the IPL supposed to serve as a distraction to? Certainly not the frontline workers working without sleep, not the grieving ones who have lost their beloved or the ones currently sick. Most certainly not those struggling to put food on the table. It is just catering to those of us who are privileged to enjoy entertainment at this time without immediate concerns.

A lot of these people have this complaint of "we have lockdown fatigue and the current situation depresses us a lot, IPL is our sense of normalcy". I agree on the importance and impact of mental health but I don't think IPL is the antidote and if people hold IPL in such high value then I fear it sounds very dystopian to have an entertainment product distract us from ever rising doom. People need to face and confront reality instead of hiding behind entertainment and hold those responsible for all of this to culpability. The IPL is merely a distraction from bigger issues at hand, ones that will sooner or later affect everyone and one that is time limited.

In any case, the main issue with IPL is the absolute tone deafness of it. All you see is #maintainsocialdistancing #wearyourmasks on the overlay whilst you have people huddled in the stadiums, blokes not wearing masks of any sort. None of the players barring very few have spoken about the actual crisis at hand. It is shocking that you have Pat donating money, Tye pointing out the sheer ridiculousness of having a sporting tournament when the country is in an emergency whilst most of the Indian players are silent when they were all outspoken about other issues. Imagine a war scenario as an emergency. Would you still have sport around?

Verified Enigma

PlanetCricket's Sherlock Holmes
Champions League Winner
Avengers
But I just don't get why franchise owners and players' families are allowed to stadiums.
Because they pay...

those players in the field. IPL exists because of these franchise and their owners. Had they not put in their money all through years it would not have been what it is today. They equally contribute to the success of IPL.

Umair7

El Presidente
AUS..
Ireland
Kings XI
KK
Hobart Hurricanes
Survival Games Finalist
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Oval Invincibles
Profile Flag
Australia
Somebody call Prabhsimran Singh & Dawid Malan!
Is Kumble a shit coach?

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I disagree with this take because who exactly the IPL supposed to serve as a distraction to? Certainly not the frontline workers working without sleep, not the grieving ones who have lost their beloved or the ones currently sick. Most certainly not those struggling to put food on the table. It is just catering to those of us who are privileged to enjoy entertainment at this time without immediate concerns.

A lot of these people have this complaint of "we have lockdown fatigue and the current situation depresses us a lot, IPL is our sense of normalcy". I agree on the importance and impact of mental health but I don't think IPL is the antidote and if people hold IPL in such high value then I fear it sounds very dystopian to have an entertainment product distract us from ever rising doom. People need to face and confront reality instead of hiding behind entertainment and hold those responsible for all of this to culpability. The IPL is merely a distraction from bigger issues at hand, ones that will sooner or later affect everyone and one that is time limited.

In any case, the main issue with IPL is the absolute tone deafness of it. All you see is #maintainsocialdistancing #wearyourmasks on the overlay whilst you have people huddled in the stadiums, blokes not wearing masks of any sort. None of the players barring very few have spoken about the actual crisis at hand. It is shocking that you have Pat donating money, Tye pointing out the sheer ridiculousness of having a sporting tournament when the country is in an emergency whilst most of the Indian players are silent when they were all outspoken about other issues. Imagine a war scenario as an emergency. Would you still have sport around?

Pretty much spot on and also my view. Every case in the IPL increases chances of spread, even one active case is an intentional waste of resource and an added burden on health workers. It proves that humanity is a diminished currency and that cash is king.

I can't care less for the petty entertainment and we are all a part of the problem. Even us that are consuming the "entertainment."

We are in an emergency that is a bigger threat than any other before and I include the wars we have been in as well as the attacks of 26/11. A national lockdown is by far the obvious solution and what we should be in but then there is going to be financial repercussions and our government has already made it clear that they're least bothered.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Somebody call Prabhsimran Singh & Dawid Malan!
Is Kumble a shit coach?

He's no coach. I objected to his selection when he got the India job. It was all a bit ridiculous as most things in this country are as the people selecting the coach were his best friends. Moody should have landed the role but that didn't happen and the rest is history. His removal was disrespectful and I stand by that.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Have not seen a side more worst then KKR.

Ohm

User Title Purchaser
Hard disagree on family if they are also following protocols.
If IPL can be a beacon of hope then the players deserve to have the people they love near them for their own mental well being.
Most of them don't follow social distancing neither they wear masks. And they don't even realize they're on national TV lol.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Cricinfo said:
Indeed, it has led to a line of thinking that the IPL should be called off. That in a time of national tragedy as this is - and a tragedy that, by all estimates, will get worse before it gets better - sport is irrelevant, perhaps even disrespectful. This is not a time for light entertainment.

That is debatable, because there are clearly takers for the IPL as entertainment or distraction from the surrounding grimness. Anecdotal evidence, perhaps, but I can hear the TV commentary from apartments around mine every evening, and I know of people - including one 80-year-old aunt - who wait for that match every day to offer some relief.

Equally important, though, is to see the IPL as not merely a sporting activity, 22 men playing cricket under floodlights. It is an economic activity that brings in millions of dollars, which are then spread around the wider cricketing ecosystem and to the country at large. Think of hotel rooms occupied, chartered flights booked and the IPL gig economy - social-media teams, cameramen, commentators, security and catering and housekeeping staff, and all the people they support in turn - that keeps the wheels turning. A distressed economy needs whatever cylinders that can keep firing.

Source: https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...-its-power-to-aid-a-country-in-crisis-1261025

India lost the IPL already last year to UAE. Losing it for the second year in a row during times where the economy needs it, doesn't sound really good. You cant rely on the ICC World T20 as ICC is not an Indian organization and can always move the tournament out of India if things dont improve significantly in the next few months.

I read some comments above about the distraction of IPL being pointless and that it doesn't matter. I humbly disagree. Even the frontline worker will need her/his distraction. It has been a decades long obsession for the whole country with cricket (as they famously say "cricket is a religion in India and India is a religious country"), and I can almost bet that among the frontline workers, atleast 1 in 3 would be following/tracking the IPL while they go about their duties helping people in need. And not just frontline workers - people who are constantly being fed and exposed to dark/negative news, all need their distraction and relief and the IPL provides it best. I personally endured this last year when things were darker in USA and IPL offered amazing relief that OTT platforms or TV channels could not provide (I've got exhausted by the ocean of options on OTT and am almost cancelling subscriptions to most OTT platforms as I cant choose what to watch).

Players and BCCI can do their thing to support the country in these times, but again we as outsiders cannot judge "who is doing how much". Its the same when people do social service and a 3rd person has no right to judge who does how much service. Doing help during a pandemic falls under "service". And it is to each and everyone's choice how and how much they want to do. Again some people do it privately; some like to boast about it to increase their image; some talk about it openly in the hope it inspires others; some dont do anything because they dont know where to start; etc.

P.s: Sorry if I might sound insensitive since I dont live in India right now, but this pandemic is a worldwide phenomenon and USA is still in it and when USA was in really dark times last year, India was better off and now its the other way around. And I have relatives in India who are living amongst what is happening right now and trust me, they dont feel IPL happening right now in the country is insensitive.

Most of them don't follow social distancing neither they wear masks. And they don't even realize they're on national TV lol.

These families of players are also in a bubble and have gone through the strict process to quarantine and then get into the bubbles. Why would they wear masks when they're in a bubble? Do you wear masks at home everyday?

We dont have to spoon fed our people by showing off that we wear masks even in a bubble. There has to be common sense for people to understand that "in a bubble, you dont wear masks". For e.g. if you are at home with your family, you are in your own private bubble. Every family who have stayed home for more than a year now during this pandemic, have all been in their own private bubbles.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
India lost the IPL already last year to UAE. Losing it for the second year in a row during times where the economy needs it, doesn't sound really good. You cant rely on the ICC World T20 as ICC is not an Indian organization and can always move the tournament out of India if things dont improve significantly in the next few months.

I read some comments above about the distraction of IPL being pointless and that it doesn't matter. I humbly disagree. Even the frontline worker will need her/his distraction. It has been a decades long obsession for the whole country with cricket (as they famously say "cricket is a religion in India and India is a religious country"), and I can almost bet that among the frontline workers, atleast 1 in 3 would be following/tracking the IPL while they go about their duties helping people in need. And not just frontline workers - people who are constantly being fed and exposed to dark/negative news, all need their distraction and relief and the IPL provides it best. I personally endured this last year when things were darker in USA and IPL offered amazing relief that OTT platforms or TV channels could not provide (I've got exhausted by the ocean of options on OTT and am almost cancelling subscriptions to most OTT platforms as I cant choose what to watch).

Players and BCCI can do their thing to support the country in these times, but again we as outsiders cannot judge "who is doing how much". Its the same when people do social service and a 3rd person has no right to judge who does how much service. Doing help during a pandemic falls under "service". And it is to each and everyone's choice how and how much they want to do. Again some people do it privately; some like to boast about it to increase their image; some talk about it openly in the hope it inspires others; some dont do anything because they dont know where to start; etc.

P.s: Sorry if I might sound insensitive since I dont live in India right now, but this pandemic is a worldwide phenomenon and USA is still in it and when USA was in really dark times last year, India was better off and now its the other way around. And I have relatives in India who are living amongst what is happening right now and trust me, they dont feel IPL happening right now in the country is insensitive.

These families of players are also in a bubble and have gone through the strict process to quarantine and then get into the bubbles. Why would they wear masks when they're in a bubble? Do you wear masks at home everyday?

We dont have to spoon fed our people by showing off that we wear masks even in a bubble. There has to be common sense for people to understand that "in a bubble, you dont wear masks". For e.g. if you are at home with your family, you are in your own private bubble. Every family who have stayed home for more than a year now during this pandemic, have all been in their own private bubbles.

Believe me, the numbers you are seeing are a total joke. I had said it before this mess began that having it in India is madness. If cricket is a religion, I say it's just another religion that is the cause of mostly doom in our country.

Bevab

Staff Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

Two instances here. From my own personal experience, none of the people in the healthcare industry actually bother much with the IPL at the moment. They get at best few hours away from duty if they're not on 24 hour call and to think they use it to not sleep, eat or take care of themselves and instead try and consume IPL at odd hours is really not accurate.

In addition, the food delivery person I met today asked me one thing, "is Covid actually serious?". I had to explain to him that it wasn't like the flu and to get tested if he falls sick. Nothing wrong on him too, he asked me to genuinely learn and listened to it completely. This is the knowledge of a person who is fairly adequately educated about the pandemic, imagine the others who aren't aware and the ones who choose to not be aware because they see it being treated as a joke everytime.

The US and India are utterly incomparable in terms of the seriousness of the issue too because of the standards of healthcare. The biggest issue in the US to my knowledge was misinformation and prohibitive healthcare costs with incompetent leadership during the Trump times. Where it was wilful ignorance there, here it is enforced and costs are artificially inflated due to rising demand. India's healthcare status is pathetic due to underfunding even by global standards. People are being sent home despite being sick enough for admission, drugs are running out, vaccines have been depleted, oxygen is being handled on a day to day basis (plenty of hospitals have received their oxygens just mere hours before they would have run empty).

India was never really better off, even in those times there were cases unofficially, the economy was in tatters and lockdowns were actually more enforced then. I already alluded to in my previous post that only those of us who have the luxury of needing something to conquer lockdown fatigue feel okay with the IPL. A tournament that only will happen until May. What next then? Others either are indifferent or find it appalling that there is a million dollar tournament happening mere yards away from graveyards of death. I really find it very dystopian that we need cheap entertainment in the middle of our worst calamity (did the 2004 tsunami kill as many people as corona has done?) to numb our minds instead of pointing fingers at those who have led us to this mess or seeking answers to our problems or going out there to help. Seems very 'Brave New World' like to me.

It isn't completely right to compare being in a bubble that gets constant exposure to us folks in a home. None of us demand them to wear masks in their own rooms. When football resumed, you had substitutes socially distanced with masks worn. They were in bubbles too, heck they were actually players. I found it silly then too but I understand now the power of subliminal messaging. When you're on TV out there doing an activity watching matches in a metaphorical bubble let alone literal while millions struggle to survive, the least you could do to stand in solidarity and raise awareness is wear a simple mask. These people may still be interacting with outside elements, I doubt that their bubble is taken very seriously (you hear cases of every cricketer breaching bubbles in every other country including our own but somehow all seem to be well disciplined in the 'festival of cricket'?). The moment someone inside tests positive or more players pull out, it will be total chaos.

I find Tye getting attacked over his comments by people pointing out that the BCCI is the one doing all this and the Government doesn't waste resources on this hilarious as the only thing he pointed out was the sheer tone deafness involved as people involved pretend as if all is fine and dandy elsewhere. I remember Ganguly criticizing overseas players as soft for not embracing bubble life as well and for indicating that mental health is not that big a deal. No surprises that overseas players are pulling out more and more.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Two instances here. From my own personal experience, none of the people in the healthcare industry actually bother much with the IPL at the moment. They get at best few hours away from duty if they're not on 24 hour call and to think they use it to not sleep, eat or take care of themselves and instead try and consume IPL at odd hours is really not accurate.

In addition, the food delivery person I met today asked me one thing, "is Covid actually serious?". I had to explain to him that it wasn't like the flu and to get tested if he falls sick. Nothing wrong on him too, he asked me to genuinely learn and listened to it completely. This is the knowledge of a person who is fairly adequately educated about the pandemic, imagine the others who aren't aware and the ones who choose to not be aware because they see it being treated as a joke everytime.

The US and India are utterly incomparable in terms of the seriousness of the issue too because of the standards of healthcare. The biggest issue in the US to my knowledge was misinformation and prohibitive healthcare costs with incompetent leadership during the Trump times. Where it was wilful ignorance there, here it is enforced and costs are artificially inflated due to rising demand. India's healthcare status is pathetic due to underfunding even by global standards. People are being sent home despite being sick enough for admission, drugs are running out, vaccines have been depleted, oxygen is being handled on a day to day basis (plenty of hospitals have received their oxygens just mere hours before they would have run empty).

India was never really better off, even in those times there were cases unofficially, the economy was in tatters and lockdowns were actually more enforced then. I already alluded to in my previous post that only those of us who have the luxury of needing something to conquer lockdown fatigue feel okay with the IPL. A tournament that only will happen until May. What next then? Others either are indifferent or find it appalling that there is a million dollar tournament happening mere yards away from graveyards of death. I really find it very dystopian that we need cheap entertainment in the middle of our worst calamity (did the 2004 tsunami kill as many people as corona has done?) to numb our minds instead of pointing fingers at those who have led us to this mess or seeking answers to our problems or going out there to help. Seems very 'Brave New World' like to me.

It isn't completely right to compare being in a bubble that gets constant exposure to us folks in a home. None of us demand them to wear masks in their own rooms. When football resumed, you had substitutes socially distanced with masks worn. They were in bubbles too, heck they were actually players. I found it silly then too but I understand now the power of subliminal messaging. When you're on TV out there doing an activity watching matches in a metaphorical bubble let alone literal while millions struggle to survive, the least you could do to stand in solidarity and raise awareness is wear a simple mask. These people may still be interacting with outside elements, I doubt that their bubble is taken very seriously (you hear cases of every cricketer breaching bubbles in every other country including our own but somehow all seem to be well disciplined in the 'festival of cricket'?). The moment someone inside tests positive or more players pull out, it will be total chaos.

I find Tye getting attacked over his comments by people pointing out that the BCCI is the one doing all this and the Government doesn't waste resources on this hilarious as the only thing he pointed out was the sheer tone deafness involved as people involved pretend as if all is fine and dandy elsewhere. I remember Ganguly criticizing overseas players as soft for not embracing bubble life as well and for indicating that mental health is not that big a deal. No surprises that overseas players are pulling out more and more.

To add to this. I am not attacking you Sri, but the number of casualties on a daily basis as per the government is the same as the world trade centre disaster. Let us all just breathe and absorb that once. We are talking about a WTC disaster happening in India EVERYDAY and this is India. Those numbers are a joke because if your see the crematorium numbers, it's absolutely horrific.

I recently asked my household help to submit his Aadhaar number to me to register him for the vaccination and he flat out disagreed to get vaccinated. Do you know what he feels? He feels that this new mutant which he simply refers to as a sickness was mixed in a vaccine shot and given to someone and now it's because of the vaccine that covid is ravaging through the country. When the PM had announced the first lockdown, there was a powerful messaging attached to it. People listened because it was communicated in a way that it rang alarm bells. Unfortunately, we as a society need a burning hot iron rod put in our rear end to understand the gravity of any situation. I have a friend in health care and my heart aches every time I speak to him. I worry about his mental health and his family every single hour. The PM's latest speech was an absolute and utter joke. It was an extension of every Indian's caller tune basically.

When the moment to hog the limelight was there, the PM was there and now when the fall is upon us, the states have been thrown among the sharks to sink or swim. And this comes from someone who's been a supporter of the current government and it's leader.

Ohm

User Title Purchaser

These bio bubbles are not as safe as you might be thinking. All these folks travel, they use hotels and visit grounds. Now the hotel staff is not necessarily part of any bubble. I suppose they'd be regular employees. Even though there is no crowd, the ground/stadium staff whom also I don't consider to be part of any bubble still has to work on site. The management people of all sorts are still vulnerable and they might create contact with players or team staff indirectly or even directly. There are many such factors to consider. It's not exactly a fully closed bubble. Also from a household perspective, if one person is infected merely 4-5 more are at risk, but for a bubble the size of an IPL franchise that number goes about 50-60.
I don't know if you're aware, many footballers across even Europe's most decorated leagues got infected while being with their respective clubs and despite being in a bubble. As a matter of fact, nobody except players and team staff have been allowed to stadiums. And even for players on bench and the staff during a live game, mask is mandatory.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
When the PM had announced the first lockdown, there was a powerful messaging attached to it. People listened because it was communicated in a way that it rang alarm bells. Unfortunately, we as a society need a burning hot iron rod put in our rear end to understand the gravity of any situation. I have a friend in health care and my heart aches every time I speak to him. I worry about his mental health and his family every single hour. The PM's latest speech was an absolute and utter joke. It was an extension of every Indian's caller tune basically.

When the moment to hog the limelight was there, the PM was there and now when the fall is upon us, the states have been thrown among the sharks to sink or swim. And this comes from someone who's been a supporter of the current government and it's leader.

Quite right here. When the PM announced the first lockdown, people listened and respected him (even his non fans like me) because we could sense the sincerity in this move. I even went and did all that 'lighting a lamp' and 'clapping at 5pm for 5 mins gimmicks' because it was a nice gesture to unite the country and take this pandemic as seriously as it should be taken.

The latest call for vigilance from the PM though comes at the back of him and his mates and his opposition cronies holding massive rallies, and openly asking people to come out in huge numbers to support them. It just reeks of hypocrisy - the common man is going to make the argument that he did not bother masking up when making public appearances and is now asking me to mask up?

The situation is so dire that even their media lackeys are unable to put a positive spin on it even though they are trying their best. They say there is no shortage of oxygen in UP - then why are people dying due to lack of it? They say there is no shortage of vaccines anywhere - then why did I have to visit 5 different hospitals today to get a vax shot for my mother - that too in the "silicon valley of India", Bangalore. They all repeated the same line - we are waiting to receive doses from BBMP (BLR municipal) and we have no idea when that will happen.

I will go as far as to say that IPL is just another extension of the government's mismanagement. Do we really think IPL would be allowed to operate, if Dada was not on chummy terms with the ruling party and did not have Shah Jr. as his deputy. As @Bevab rightly called out - IPL is only a "Beacon of Hope" for us privileged folks who have the luxury of being able to watch it and follow it. It servers absolutely no purpose to the frontline warriors who are not able to get sufficient sleep and nutrition in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread