Indian Premier League - General Discussion

What a complete joke.

Can’t wait to see multiple teams make a joke out of the retention system.

I love there's no RTM. Essentially the RTM is flawed. Say tomorrow Kohli enters the auction and Delhi bids INR 17CR for him. RCB can simply raise their RTM wand and get him at the same rate. Ideally, RCB should be outbidding Delhi and paying INR 17.5 CR instead.

I wish they had the RTD ( Right to Decline) card as well. Players given the power to exclude a franchisee.

Bravo quits CSK and moves to KKR

Frankly, a very disappointing decision by CSK not to keep Bravo and give him bigger roles within CSK! Can understand DJ's decision as he is offered to manage all of KKR's group of franchises across all leagues and he also gets to re-unite with the owners after his successful relationship with them for TKR (Trinbago Knight Riders in CPL). Bravo was excellent with the bowlers in the last two seasons and you could truly see that he was extracting great work out of average bowlers like Tushar and was also moulding potentially great bowlers like Pathirana. Getting a replacement for him is going to be tough and most importantly we have lost another loyal person. This will hurt bigger because unlike losing a player in auctions, this one happened outside!

It's gonna be 5 Retentions + 1-5 RTM (depends on number of retentions).
No Restrictions for number of Indian/foreign players.

- Mega Auction Purse - 120Cr

1st Retention - 18Cr
2nd Retention - 14Cr
3rd Retention - 11Cr
4th Retention - 18Cr
5th Retention - 14Cr

75 Crores for 5 Retentions!!

45 Cr for Rest 20 Players
(Including RTM Player)

It's gonna be 5 Retentions + 1-5 RTM (depends on number of retentions).
No Restrictions for number of Indian/foreign players.

- Mega Auction Purse - 120Cr

1st Retention - 18Cr
2nd Retention - 14Cr
3rd Retention - 11Cr
4th Retention - 18Cr
5th Retention - 14Cr

75 Crores for 5 Retentions!!

45 Cr for Rest 20 Players
(Including RTM Player)

You're missing the details about the 'uncapped player'. They HAVE TO retain an uncapped player if they decide to do even a single retention. And the uncapped player will get 4 crores only. AND..... the uncapped player can also be a retired international if his last international game was >= 5 years.

Basically we know who CSK's "uncapped player" is going to be :D As I had said before in this thread, I am not in favor of this idea as it disrespects the value of the retired player, especially MS Dhoni. But the news is that the league and the BCCI wants to bend backwards to ensure that IPL continues to get maximum eyeballs by ensuring that Dhoni can keep playing on. I obviously can't complain about MSD continuing as I havent had enough of him (will probably never be!). But I am disappointed that they are taking this route.

I love there's no RTM. Essentially the RTM is flawed. Say tomorrow Kohli enters the auction and Delhi bids INR 17CR for him. RCB can simply raise their RTM wand and get him at the same rate. Ideally, RCB should be outbidding Delhi and paying INR 17.5 CR instead.

I wish they had the RTD ( Right to Decline) card as well. Players given the power to exclude a franchisee.

Direct retentions that allow teams to make a mockery of official wage cap rules like MI do are far more flawed than RTM is IMO. Give every team 5-6 RTMs and zero retentions; that way they can still retain the players they really want to at either what other teams think those players truly are worth (like Krunal in 2018) or at a price that even if not is market value like your Kohli example is still high enough. It also can be rationalised as the previous team being rewarded for the loyalty.

Fully in favour of RTDs too. Anything to empower players in an auction that is employee unfriendly. However I don’t see the BCCI doing it when franchises are already asking the board to blacklist overseas cricketers who pull out.

There's a change apparently. There will be a mini private auction once the RTM comes into play.

For example, if RCB holds the RTM for Kohli and Delhi places a bid of INR 14 crores for him, In this case, RCB is then asked if they wish to exercise their RTM. If they choose to, Delhi is then allowed to increase their bid to any amount. If Delhi doesn't increase, then RCB gets Kohli for 14 crores. However, let us assume that Delhi raise the bid to INR 18 crore, then RCB must match this amount to retain the player.

Considering the retention slabs, I feel teams might only retain 2-3 top players. Else, it doesnt give them much to play around with, in the mega auction. As the purse is hardly 120 Crores, teams might have difficulties here.

You're missing the details about the 'uncapped player'. They HAVE TO retain an uncapped player if they decide to do even a single retention. And the uncapped player will get 4 crores only. AND..... the uncapped player can also be a retired international if his last international game was >= 5 years.

Correction: The uncapped player won't get 4 crores. He may be retained for 14 lakhs, but 4 crores will be taken away from the team's purse.

There's a change apparently. There will be a mini private auction once the RTM comes into play.

For example, if RCB holds the RTM for Kohli and Delhi places a bid of INR 14 crores for him, In this case, RCB is then asked if they wish to exercise their RTM. If they choose to, Delhi is then allowed to increase their bid to any amount. If Delhi doesn't increase, then RCB gets Kohli for 14 crores. However, let us assume that Delhi raise the bid to INR 18 crore, then RCB must match this amount to retain the player.

Considering the retention slabs, I feel teams might only retain 2-3 top players. Else, it doesnt give them much to play around with, in the mega auction. As the purse is hardly 120 Crores, teams might have difficulties here.

Correction: The uncapped player won't get 4 crores. He may be retained for 14 lakhs, but 4 crores will be taken away from the team's purse.

Underpaying a player when the world knows how much he was retained for, can lead to consequences for the franchise. I think a player can be overpaid beyond what he was retained for, but I dont think underpaying him can go without consequences. I am sure the player and the franchise will have a binding contract between them and if the player has common sense, they will not accept for a price below the retention/auction price.

Come on- an uncapped player won't be in a position to bargain to the extent of demanding INR 4 crore, unless he is exceptionally good.

Come on- an uncapped player won't be in a position to bargain to the extent of demanding INR 4 crore, unless he is exceptionally good.

It will render useless the importance of the IPL's retention process and auction process if a player is paid LESS than what he is retained or sold for. And if an uncapped player is approached for retention, it means he is good and therefore he will just tell the franchise "no thanks, but I will go into the auction". The player has the power to reject a retention and seek the auction for better prices.

What a coincidence that Harshit Rana comes down with a viral infection just in time when everyone expected his debut today and how it will influence KKR's retention policy for IPL 2025 mega auctions. And what a coincidence that Gautam Gambhir (former KKR mentor, now Indian national team coach) is at the center of it all. Nitish Reddy and Mayank Yadav got their debuts because it helps KKR for those players to not be retained cheaply, but Harshit Rana getting a debut will hurt him and hence he doesnt get his debut.

Last edited:
Not just me, majority of social media is talking about this right now. The “GG conspiracy to help KKR retain Harshit at 4c as uncapped”. :D

Ps: And before someone looks at my DP and decides to talk about MSD as uncapped, I’ve voiced in this very thread (few pages back) that I’m not in favor of the move,

Users who are viewing this thread