IPL Indian Premier League - General Discussion

The Indian Premier League...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You see, normally your posts make complete sense are I normally agree with your points. Here you're so far off it's not even funny. When Broad was playing domestic T20 cricket he was probably the best fast bowler in England. He's got a fantastic record, averaging 20 runs per wicket and an economy just above 6. 1 over where he got slogged for 6 sixes on a ground with remarkably short boundaries is not enough to laugh at the fact he wants an IPL contract. Broad's as good a T20 bowler as anyone in the world, and Indian fans are idiots if they don't want him just because of 1 over.
Hold your guns mate. I tweaking hate the generalisations here.

Generalisations? Surely the large majority of fans of the various IPL teams would be Indian, therefore Zorax's statement regarding the fans hating it if he joins their team means my comment stands up. There were no generalisations, it was Zorax who grouped you all together, saying 'the fans would hate it'. I was merely replying to his statement.

1 over where he got slogged for 6 sixes on a ground with remarkably short boundaries is not enough to laugh at the fact he wants an IPL contract.
IIRC, most, if not all, of Yuvi's sixes would have comfortably cleared a regulation boundary in ODI cricket. I believe he also hit the longest six of the tournament in that over--something like 109 meters.

Yes, but even so, my point remains. If IPL fans don't want Broad in their team because of that 1 over, then they're idiots. I don't mind if they don't want him because they don't think his overall game is good enough for their team, but if it's purely based on that one over, then they're idiots. Btw, FAO Precambrian, I'm not in anyway saying that all Indian fans are of this belief, or that all Indian fans are idiots, just purely that the ones that wouldn't want Broad because of 1 over are idiots.

Just to clear that up in advance ;)

Generalisations? Surely the large majority of fans of the various IPL teams would be Indian, therefore Zorax's statement regarding the fans hating it if he joins their team means my comment stands up. There were no generalisations, it was Zorax who grouped you all together, saying 'the fans would hate it'. I was merely replying to his statement.
So you will take it for granted whatever Zorax says?

Precambrian added 1 Minutes and 39 Seconds later...

Yes, but even so, my point remains. If IPL fans don't want Broad in their team because of that 1 over, then they're idiots. I don't mind if they don't want him because they don't think his overall game is good enough for their team, but if it's purely based on that one over, then they're idiots. Btw, FAO Precambrian, I'm not in anyway saying that all Indian fans are of this belief, or that all Indian fans are idiots, just purely that the ones that wouldn't want Broad because of 1 over are idiots.

Just to clear that up in advance ;)
Fact remains that Broad was carted around in the ODIs as well as test matches in which Yuvi played. IPL fans have genuine reasons to deem that Broad is **** particularly in T20s.

Fact remains that Broad was carted around in the ODIs as well as test matches in which Yuvi played. IPL fans have genuine reasons to deem that Broad is **** particularly in T20s.

ODi bowling average: 27
T20i bowling average: 27
ODi economy: 4.95
T20i economy: 8.45
ODi strike rate: 33.4
T20i strike rate: 19.3
Test batting average: 33.90
ODi batting average: 20.28

Yeh. He's really **** isn't he. Anyone can average 27 in ODi's when opening the bowling. He's lucky to have a County contract tbh, let alone an England one. Rubbish player.

Indeed. Can we be done with this now?

I'd like to see Bopara at Rajasthan. He'd be fairly useful.

But if you take off that 1 Yuvraj Singh over he goes at 7.78 an over. Which although still not exactly impressive, it's good enough when you consider he takes a wicket every 19 balls. Basing Broad's quality on 1 statistic just shows exactly how you go about your arguments, mention the statistics that suit you, and ignore the rest. His ODi record is fantastic, yet you didn't mention that, just purely focusing on the T20i Economy. If I argued my point like you I'd have ignored Broad's T20 economy and not included it on the list, because other than that he's got a fantastic record.

But if you take off that 1 Yuvraj Singh over he goes at 7.78 an over. Which although still not exactly impressive, it's good enough when you consider he takes a wicket every 19 balls. Basing Broad's quality on 1 statistic just shows exactly how you go about your arguments, mention the statistics that suit you, and ignore the rest. His ODi record is fantastic, yet you didn't mention that, just purely focusing on the T20i Economy. If I argued my point like you I'd have ignored Broad's T20 economy and not included it on the list, because other than that he's got a fantastic record.
We are talking purely T20s here...

And Lol at your attempt at making his stats look better by removing one over, despite which too it looks pretty pathetic.

There is absolutely no way THAT over can be removed from his stats.

And in T20s, more than averages, it is the economy rate that matters most. Usually a good eco rate means a good SR. Even then an avg of 27 is pretty mediocre.

Sorry but Broad will struggle to make it to a quality T20 team at the moment.

Yuvraj should pick up Broad for Mohali and they should become best friends :D

Dan, despite being a decent ODI and T20I bowler, you have to understand that the only memory most Indian fans have of Broady is being carted over the boundaries six consecutive deliveries by Yuvraj Singh. It will take a lot of good performances to gain the respect of the average Indian fan after that. I guarantee you if you go to a random city in Punjab and ask a citizen if they knew who Broad is, they would remember that famous over rather than his average of 27.

The IPL is Indian and played in India, so you can expect Broad to get plenty of light-hearted stick from the local fans and media. It's all in good fun. :)

Tbh, I don't remember seeing any particularly stellar bowling performances ever from Broad. I remember plenty for Flintoff (Obv), Anderson (Even though I don't think the guy is even half as good when conditions don't help him), and Harmison, but no Broads. Maybe because he has a pretty horrible record against India (at least I think, it sure looks like it thinking of all the times he's been smashed in the recent past by us).

He's had a few good knocks, though.

He'll get signed in the IPL but not for too much. $200k-$250k max, perhaps to Delhi to strengthen their already stellar fast bowling attack. McGrath-Maharoof-Nehra-Broad will be awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread