IPL - Ass New Tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gazza, I feel the risk would have been worth it considering the prices the teams were forced to pay for the small number of quality non-pakistan players.

Mumbai, Chennai, Bangalore and Kolkata all bid 750,000 for Pollard, and he went for more in the silent auction, you're not telling me that taking on afridi for less than a quarter of that price, even if there's chance he won't be playing, isn't a risk worth taking?

no way, it was obviously an agreement, no way could this be a spontaneous, coincidental outcome. you can see that by the way the teams went after the non-pak players. They all bid on Parnell, Roach and Bond like they knew there was only 3 quality fast bowlers in the mix. Even though Tanvir, Gul and Aamer could all have been purchased.

Yes but if for example, you only have one spot to fill, why the hell would you target a Pakistani player to fill that spot?? He's got more chance of not playing than a Pollard or a Parnell or a Morgan. All it would take is a disruption in the India-Pakistan political relationship and your auction investment would be wasted. To suggest that the Pakistani players aren't good enough or that there's some kind of conspiracy is rubbish. It's common sense for the franchises not to bid on risky investments.

Modi is doing a great job of killing IPL. I think he has a secret agenda of destroying this promising concept. Nothing can justify keeping out the T20 champions. Its a mockery of the spirit of the sport. Anyways I give a rat's ass about IPL. Pakistani Players should take this time iron out other short comings in longer form of the game.

Pakistani cable operators have announced a blackout of IPL - they will refuse to show the IPL while it is being aired in Pakistan.

Pakistani cable operators have announced a blackout of IPL - they will refuse to show the IPL while it is being aired in Pakistan.

Not that the IPL will care much. Had the market been lucrative enough for the IPL, they would have done everything in power to get the Pak players signed up with the franchises.

@ Dare- Let me make it simple for you. The franchises DID NOT WISH TO PICK THE PAKISTANI PLAYERS. And you obviously have to keep on saying why, why, why.... Pakistan has the best T20 players, blah blah.... The bottomline is - "The Franchises did not wish to buy them". You obviously don't hail from the subcontinent to realize the tensions out here. Here, cricket & emotions go hand in hand. Tomorrow if something goes wrong at the border or there is a terror attack in India, who is at maximum risk- the Pakistani players. Given the fact that this is a democracy, everyone has an opinion and if people put two and two together, what is a franchise (which is a private entity and not a national government, may I add) going to do? Hire an army to protect the Pakistani players? You need to understand that a franchise has limited resources at their disposal. After investing millions and falling on the face for 2 auctions on the trot, what sin have they committed if they chose not to go for players from whom there is considerable monetary, availability and security risk involved. Availability risk because- Their government disallowed their players' participation at the last minute during IPL-2 and the franchises had to go player hunting at the last moment. Just because some people think otherwise, do you think the franchises should voluntarily put themselves in a similar situation again?

Moral of the story - They believe they have justified reasons (add another- they needed only 12-13 players and they wanted people who could be there with no aforementioned issues at all). Savvy?

@ Bilal - Bhaijaan, the franchises didn't want to buy the Pakistani players. What can we about that? Its their money and they will spend it the way they feel like. I feel for the Pakistani players and the fans but we need to realize that you need to "two to tango". Being my brother from across the border, you easily understand that passions run high when Pakistani players are in India and vice-versa. And after a certain level, governments get involved. We as fans and citizens can hope for things to change.

More importantly your Reasons dont answer:

1) Why the IPL franchises actually asked to get these players,(remember they were shortlisted according to the demands) The situation regarding their visas were same for the past year, and this didnt come out yesterday.

My reasons don't answer this because no one apart from Nita Ambani, Vijay Mallya, Jai Mehta, Rama Reddy, Shilpa Shetty, Preity Zinta & Sandeep Reddy can answer this.

Rather than criticize, we can atleast appreciate Lalit Modi for putting the players on the auction list. Had he had any detrimental intent, he wouldn't even put their names for auction. So it is a welcome step. Things will change. We will have to wait for them to, though. Lets be patient. Agar Allah ne chaha, toh hum phir Shoaib ko India mein dundiya udate dekhenge (If Allah desires, we will see Shoaib ripping through the opposition in India) :).

Last edited:
I think if you want to blame, you can blame Franchise. Even if Modi would have told them not to pick Pakistani player, the teams belonged to Franchise and if they wanted, they could have ignored his word. So if you have to blame, blame the Franchise and not BCCI.

^ Exactly. Which brings us back to point no. 6-

Potential Reasons of why Pakistani players were not picked by the IPL Franchises

6. Franchises' are not Modi's puppets- Do you really think a person who has bought a team for millions of dollars and spent $750,000 on players like Kemar Roach actually cares a crap about what Lalit Modi has to say? All that matters to them is profit. They really don't care about what Lalit Modi says or "instructs" them to do. It is their money, their team and their choice with the players. Blaming Modi is really naive.

rahuldravidfan added 7 Minutes and 44 Seconds later...

Passions are running high in this thread. Lets not give a private franchise the power to make us upset.

I wish to dedicate this to all my brothers from across the border-

Last edited by a moderator:
The Indian government can refuse visas to the Pakistani players citing security and all kinds of idiotic nonsense.

That's an exaggeration. If you dudes reach the semis, and if the Govt of India refuse your team visas (no matter what the reason might be), then the entire cricket world will burst out in rebellion against us. The Govt will lose the support of even it's own people! The guys in government aren't nerds that they will make such a blunder of a decision

@ Dare- Let me make it simple for you. The franchises DID NOT WISH TO PICK THE PAKISTANI PLAYERS. And you obviously have to keep on saying why, why, why.... Pakistan has the best T20 players, blah blah.... The bottomline is - "The Franchises did not wish to buy them". You obviously don't hail from the subcontinent to realize the tensions out here. Here, cricket & emotions go hand in hand. Tomorrow if something goes wrong at the border or there is a terror attack in India, who is at maximum risk- the Pakistani players. Given the fact that this is a democracy, everyone has an opinion and if people put two and two together, what is a franchise (which is a private entity and not a national government, may I add) going to do? Hire an army to protect the Pakistani players? You need to understand that a franchise has limited resources at their disposal. After investing millions and falling on the face for 2 auctions on the trot, what sin have they committed if they chose not to go for players from whom there is considerable monetary, availability and security risk involved. Availability risk because- Their government disallowed their players' participation at the last minute during IPL-2 and the franchises had to go player hunting at the last moment. Just because some people think otherwise, do you think the franchises should voluntarily put themselves in a similar situation again?

But they got no problem having security for players from other countries and not to mention that the players from countries other then Pakistan barely leave their hotels.

Saying "what if an attack happens blah blah" is just blind excuses or an attempt to make some. If I'm not mistaken the Aussie players were told not to come to India (or a certain part of it) because their lives were in danger due to the crap going on in Australia. If ████ goes down at the border between India and Pakistan there will be allot more at risk then Pakistani players, narrowing it down to just Pakistani cricketers is a little narrow minded. I guess anything goes when trying to make excuses for the IPL.

Bottom line is the PCB and Pakistani government gave the players a green light to play in the IPL. There was allot of work done to get the players their Visas on time, even the IPL extended the deadline just to allow these players to get their visas. Then they were put on the large list of players to be auctioned, the list got trimmed and they were still there, the auction happened and they are still on that list.

Some requirements for the Pakistani players participating in the IPL"

Pakistan government permission: check
PCB permission: check
Players getting their visas: check
IPL/Modi being stupid: well that's always a green light check

Even if Modi/IPL came out and said "Hey we made a mistake we apologize" I am sure you would still be here saying "z IPL and monsieur Modi have done z nothing wrong, was iz z problem".

@ Dare- Let me make it simple for you. The franchises DID NOT WISH TO PICK THE PAKISTANI PLAYERS.

I would have to disagree with this statement. I think the Indian government have to take some blame here. The threat of tying up visa applications in red tape is inexcusable and they have every means available to expediate the process for the Pakistani players.

Afridi, Gul, even Umar, are all high-profile sports players, and should be extended special considerations in the visa application process.

I can understand how the Pakistanis feel mocked by the Indian government and the IPL. This whole thing was uncool.

@ dare, even pcb and pakistan govt allowed them last year. But before a week, pakistani govt stopped them. And there are still 60 days to go and will you assure that they won't change their opinion.?

@ dare, even pcb and pakistan govt allowed them last year. But before a week, pakistani govt stopped them. And there are still 60 days to go and will you assure that they won't change their opinion.?

Last year there was certain attack in a Indian city that changed the situation allot. The whole of IPL had to be moved, after it was moved the PCB said the players could participate but the IPL/Modi said no the franchises are already set.

Are you so sure that they will change their opinion?

But they got no problem having security for players from other countries and not to mention that the players from countries other then Pakistan barely leave their hotels.

Saying "what if an attack happens blah blah" is just blind excuses or an attempt to make some. If I'm not mistaken the Aussie players were told not to come to India (or a certain part of it) because their lives were in danger due to the crap going on in Australia. If ████ goes down at the border between India and Pakistan there will be allot more at risk then Pakistani players, narrowing it down to just Pakistani cricketers is a little narrow minded. I guess anything goes when trying to make excuses for the IPL.

Bottom line is the PCB and Pakistani government gave the players a green light to play in the IPL. There was allot of work done to get the players their Visas on time, even the IPL extended the deadline just to allow these players to get their visas. Then they were put on the large list of players to be auctioned, the list got trimmed and they were still there, the auction happened and they are still on that list.

Some requirements for the Pakistani players participating in the IPL"

Pakistan government permission: check
PCB permission: check
Players getting their visas: check
IPL/Modi being stupid: well that's always a green light check

Even if Modi/IPL came out and said "Hey we made a mistake we apologize" I am sure you would still be here saying "z IPL and monsieur Modi have done z nothing wrong, was iz z problem".

You completely refuse to understand the single most important point-

The franchises, the bosses of the teams, the people investing money in the players, the team think-tanks did NOT wish to buy them.

And going personal is not going to make you incharge of an IPL team, neither is taking offense to what you say going to make a difference to my opinion. I'll stick to mine. You stick to yours. And just chillax. :)

/End of discussion.

You completely refuse to understand the single most important point-

The franchises, the bosses of the teams, the people investing money in the players, the team think-tanks did NOT wish to buy them.

Lol they don't want the best 20/20 player, the best 20/20 bowler and some of the top players in that format? Wake up dude...

And going personal is not going to make you incharge of an IPL team, neither is taking offense to what you say going to make a difference to my opinion. I'll stick to mine. You stick to yours. And just chillax. :)

/End of discussion.

If I had that money last thing I would want is to own a IPL franchise.

Personal?

I can understand how the Pakistanis feel mocked by the Indian government and the IPL. This whole thing was uncool.

Dude, no one's denying that. Leading News channels in India did 1hr specials about Pakistani players and how they were humiliated. Its a business decision. Thats all that it is. Franchises have the money and the power. They did not wish to buy them. Its sad but thats how it goes.

rahuldravidfan added 2 Minutes and 11 Seconds later...

Lol they don't want the best 20/20 player, the best 20/20 bowler and some of the top players in that format?
Yaar, what can you and me do about it? They didn't want to buy them. Its sad but they called the shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread