Last Movie You Watched

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Can't compute

Dune’s plot is fairly cliched if you think about it but that isn’t the movie’s fault since the original novel was written decades ago and multiple other stories have since taken inspiration from it. Make too many changes to it and you wouldn’t get Dune but rather the Hollywood re-telling of a classic story that’s been plaguing many other stories these days.

For what it’s worth, I liked the changes the movie did compared to the novel.

Having Chani as the moral compass of the movie/audience stand-in was great and gave her agency compared to the novel where she’s more ‘ride or die’. Also helped lean into Zendaya’s acting skills.

Alia as a talking fetus with precognition works much better than a two year old wisecracking baby with the maturity of an adult.

All of the fat trimming was quite good. The runtime didn’t weigh as heavily as it should have due to how they kept the plot moving just as it was beginning to drag.

Would have liked Stilgar to have not been a blind believer from the get go but I assume they wanted a comic relief character that wasn’t in there just for the sake of that purpose so they adapted him to fill that.

All of the subtle changes to the Harkonnens worked really well.

Nukes instead of the chemical reaction with the poison was a good move. The change to make the Great Houses refuse Paul was also smart and probably more realistic, you don’t expect a bunch of dynasties to bow down to a rogue member of a fallen dynasty indulging in terrorism and kidnapping from their point of view.

The one change I wasn’t a big fan of was Jessica. I get why they did it but she had a motherly presence in the first part (and in the novel) that is lost here. Instead she’s scheming and paving the way for her son’s dark descent. Wasn’t a fan of the animosity between her and Chani too when them bonding over being concubines was a good plotline in the book.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
I watched Poor Things, saw it was on Disney+ after watching the latest Shogun.
Poor-Things-Poster1-800x1200-1.jpg

It was excellent.

ahmedleo414

The Butcher
PAK...
LQ
The Boys
Profile Flag
Canada
I've not managed to see all the Oscar films, I thought it was next week not tonight.

Did watch American Fiction, Nyad and Anatomy of a Fall since my last post. All very good. Might try to get another in tonight.
Any predictions based on what you've seen

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
Any predictions based on what you've seen
Erm, really don't know what has won at other awards shows.

Best Picture
I've seen all but The Holdovers, Maestro and The Zone of Interest.

I think Oppenheimer or Killers of the Flower Moon will win. Poor Things probably edges as my favourite. But I've enjoyed them all a lot, very strong bunch of films.

Best director: Nolan or Scorcese

Best Actor - I think I've seen Paul Giamatti win some, so I think it'll be him or Cillian Murphy. Only seen two of those films and I think Cillian Murphy would be a deserving winner. Jeffrey Wright was very good but I don't see him winning.

Best Actress - I'd say Emma Stone edges it for me, but Annette Bening, Lily Gladstone and Sandra Huller were all great.

Best Supporting Actor - seen all these, I think someone whose name beings with 'R' will win and deserve it. Very tough category if you ask me. I honestly could pick a favourite between them.

Best supporting Actress - Jodie Foster, based on what I've seen. Although I really did like America Ferrera in Barbie.

Would love to see Past Lives (watched that this evening) or Anatomy of a Fall get something, maybe best original screenplay.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
I watched the first Dune film the other day. It was good. I might try and see the second one in the cinema.

I didn't fall asleep like I did the one time I tried watching the David Lynch version. Although, I might revisit that when I finish my rewatch of Twin Peaks season 3.

Bevab

Staff Member
I watched the first Dune film the other day. It was good. I might try and see the second one in the cinema.

I didn't fall asleep like I did the one time I tried watching the David Lynch version. Although, I might revisit that when I finish my rewatch of Twin Peaks season 3.

You absolutely should. It’s more fast paced than the first part and is one of the best movie experiences I’ve had.

Viper.

County Cricketer
SRH...
Perth Scorchers
Profile Flag
Netherlands
Watched Manjummel Boys Malayalam Movie, about a real heroic story from 2006 involving a bottomless hole- really intense and amazing- google the Devil's Kitchen if you want to know more about it

Aravind.

ICC Board Member
India
Mumbai Indians
Watched Manjummel Boys Malayalam Movie, about a real heroic story from 2006 involving a bottomless hole- really intense and amazing- google the Devil's Kitchen if you want to know more about it
Great one, watched it 3 times already.

Users who are viewing this thread