Latest Patch now available for PS4 (1.06) & Xbox One (1.0.0.7)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That may be more the issue, how much of an difference conditions make. Then again iv nicked off for 0 in my chase in the last innings.

Iv made timing it difficult though

I too have nicked off for 0 in 2nd knock. Its an interesting argument this for sure!

So you saying you can cover drive a good length ball all day long with no chance of an edge if you have perfect timing etc? Conditions make no difference?

That's pretty much it. I don't mind no edges on 'Perfect Timing' but there needs to be some risk, say 20% chance of an edge if you cover drive on a green pitch off a goodish length and if the timing isn't spot on. Currently it doesn't work that way at all.

That's pretty much it. I don't mind no edges on 'Perfect Timing' but there needs to be some risk, say 20% chance of an edge if you cover drive on a green pitch off a goodish length and if the timing isn't spot on. Currently it doesn't work that way at all.

I agree. That is a core element of cricket. Its something i have been looking for in every new cricket game over the years.. And not sure its ever been done right. Conditions just have to play a part. We not wanting realistic weather in the game simply to look at.. It needs to form part of your strategy

Again how can you come to this conclusion when myself and others have nicked off on the drive?!

I personally havent tested enough to really comment on.. But i have had plenty nicks behind with new ball with these modified slider settings. But if i payed the same shot with the same timing on a dead wicket with an old ball would my chance of edging it be less or the same I wonder? No idea how one would test this theory!!

I personally havent tested enough to really comment on.. But i have had plenty nicks behind with new ball with these modified slider settings. But if i payed the same shot with the same timing on a dead wicket with an old ball would my chance of edging it be less or the same I wonder? No idea how one would test this theory!!
or if your confidence is maxed out it should be less chance of nicking....

Again how can you come to this conclusion when myself and others have nicked off on the drive?!

I'm commenting based on my gameplay experience as I've found edges to be a rarity both in odis & Tests. That's why it would make sense to have some sort of a modifier for 'Edge Frequency' instead of 4-5 for batting (Ball Quality Influence, Footwork, Shot Timing etc.) That way you can tailor your batting gameplay experience and it's easy to change one single modifier instead of changing 4-5 where most of them seem confusing. Maybe have two - 'Edge Frequency Pacers' and 'Edge Frequency Spinners' - and that along with 'Ball Marker Display Time' should be enough modifiers from batting perspective.

I've played 2 innings of a test match using similar to @WealeyH sliders both batting and bowling and I think 13 or 14 of 20 the wickets were edges caught behind the wicket. So they certainly aren't a rarity in my experience.

I agree. That is a core element of cricket. Its something i have been looking for in every new cricket game over the years.. And not sure its ever been done right. Conditions just have to play a part. We not wanting realistic weather in the game simply to look at.. It needs to form part of your strategy

or if your confidence is maxed out it should be less chance of nicking....

One thing I've realised is that there will never be one single formula/approach to satisfy everyone so one thing I would suggest to simplify the batting experience is to remove all the existing batting modifiers (except 'Ball Marker Display Time') and replace them with just two - 'Edge Frequency Pacers' and 'Edge Frequency Spinners'. A value of 0 would mean the probability of edging for the batsman is 0% or none and a value of 100% means the probability of edging is 100% in case good/perfect input is not provided. This value should be overlaid on top of whatever formula the Ashes Cricket engine currently uses to determine shot result.

At the end of the day the whole point of Batting modifiers is to make batting easy or difficult, and you do that by determining how easy or difficult it is to play good/well timed shots. IMO to achieve that outcome we don't need 4-5 batting modifiers - the 'edge frequency' one should suffice and make it simpler for end users as well. Plus folks can tailor their gameplay experience as they deem fit and as it suits their playing style.

I've played 2 innings of a test match using similar to @WealeyH sliders both batting and bowling and I think 13 or 14 of 20 the wickets were edges caught behind the wicket. So they certainly aren't a rarity in my experience.

Agreed, I have had plenty now and it's a challenge.

Only when I'm really set do I feel very comfortable

One thing I've realised is that there will never be one single formula/approach to satisfy everyone so one thing I would suggest to simplify the batting experience is to remove all the existing batting modifiers (except 'Ball Marker Display Time') and replace them with just two - 'Edge Frequency Pacers' and 'Edge Frequency Spinners'. A value of 0 would mean the probability of edging for the batsman is 0% or none and a value of 100% means the probability of edging is 100% in case good/perfect input is not provided. This value should be overlaid on top of whatever formula the Ashes Cricket engine currently uses to determine shot result.

At the end of the day the whole point of Batting modifiers is to make batting easy or difficult, and you do that by determining how easy or difficult it is to play good/well timed shots. IMO to achieve that outcome we don't need 4-5 batting modifiers - the 'edge frequency' one should suffice and make it simpler for end users as well. Plus folks can tailor their gameplay experience as they deem fit and as it suits their playing style.

The modifiers do make it harder to achieve well executed shots? I'm a bit lost at what your now saying. Because there also edges.

Up the timing and you can't lay bat on ball.

Lower the display of ball marker and your massively rushed.

Increase choice of shot and you got to get it right or you miss.

An edge frequency slider doesn't make it harder or easier to hit a shot? It just lets u control the amount of edges.

Ball marker set at 28 btw gives you way too much time.

The modifiers do make it harder to achieve well executed shots? I'm a bit lost at what your now saying. Because there also edges.

Up the timing and you can't lay bat on ball.

Lower the display of ball marker and your massively rushed.

Increase choice of shot and you got to get it right or you miss.

An edge frequency slider doesn't make it harder or easier to hit a shot? It just lets u control the amount of edges.

Ball marker set at 28 btw gives you way too much time.

At the moment only two batting modifiers seem to make a difference - 'Ball Marker Display Time' and 'Shot Timing'. I've played with batting modifiers from 60 to 100 (with Shot Timing constant at 65) with no perceptible difference. That's why I would prefer simplified batting modifier(s) instead of having multiple ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread