Latest Patch now available for PS4 (1.06) & Xbox One (1.0.0.7)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh good grief. I had a beautiful dismissal after West Indies were 257/1. Nick down the leg side off a glance, keeper dives. Press X as soon as the umpire gives him out. I was desperate to see the replay. And it's a dot ball, nobody out.

Can I ask very politely what on earth a bug like that is doing still in the game? Very frustrating after toiling for hours.
If i were you i would not be asking politely

Ugh good grief. I had a beautiful dismissal after West Indies were 257/1. Nick down the leg side off a glance, keeper dives. Press X as soon as the umpire gives him out. I was desperate to see the replay. And it's a dot ball, nobody out.

Can I ask very politely what on earth a bug like that is doing still in the game? Very frustrating after toiling for hours.

Happened to me once... I think it's the quick skip of replay!

same happened to me in a game with lots of overs without a wicket. Maybe you can change the team that you control and lose a wicket with the same batsman.

Yeah but it's 2017 and I've just got a gem of a cricket game where after 20 years I feel like I am actually playing a real test match.

Ok so I spent better part of the day fiddling with settings & gameplay modifiers to see if I can make batting more balanced. Below is what I tried and the results I observed...

Setup :-
1. These are the gameplay modifiers/settings I tweaked:
Shot Timing Difficulty: 50 to 70
Footwork, Ball Quality Influence, Shot Choice Difficulty: 60 to 100 (mostly set to 90)
Ball Marker Display Time: 10 to 23 (mostly 18 or 20)
Pace revolutions (the one for seam movement): 12
Pace Max: 65
Pace Min: 60 to 65 (mostly 60)
Shot force: 40
2. I played Tests against Aus and selected "Green" everytime to be consistent with my results.
3. I only batted in the game and simulated when it was my turn to bowl.
4. I selected Match difficulty as 'Legend'.

I tried batting with both Ball Marker and Pitch Marker options I will provide details on both the gameplay options separately. Let me first get started with general comments...

General Observations :-
1. I could not go any lower than 18 for Ball Marker Display Time as I was Late on most of the deliveries. Even with Ball Marker Display Time set to 18 I was late for fast bowlers quite often.
2. The only batting modifiers which make a tangible difference are - Shot Timing Difficulty and Ball Marker Display Time. Folks already know what Ball Marker Display Time does, and the affect which Shot Timing Difficulty has is that it forces you to play the shot earlier the higher the modfifier is moved. When I moved it to 75 I saw "Late Miss" timing message almost always and generally anything over late 60s made batting unplayable.
3. The three other batting modifier settings (Ball Quality Influence, Footwork and Shot Choice Difficulty) don't seem to make any difference at all. I changed them from 60 to 100 (and finally kept them on 90) but did not see any perceptible difference on batting. Would really love to know how these modifiers actually make a difference.
4. I did not see any increase in edges despite batting across the above-mentioned gameplay modifiers. The only thing I saw was that batting became artificially harder coz I reduced the reaction time (by lowering Ball Display Marker to 18) but it didn't increase eedges. I had 3 edges the whole time (playing Tests against Aus on Green pitch) - the first one a hook which went to the wkt keeper, the second one a cut off a spinner to slip where I made the mistake of not checking the field and cutting the ball straight to the widish slip whcih was posted, and third an edge to a Gully while cover driving. That was it in terms of edges. I did not have one genuine/typical edge to wkt keeper or slips the whole time I was experimenting with the modifiers/settings.
5. Most of my dismissals were LBW or Bowled thanks to me being late quite often due to lowered Ball Marker Display Time setting. I got the "LATE MISS" timing feedback quite often against fast bowlers (Starc & Cummins). This was especially true against full pitched deliveries which ideally should be half volleys or full tosses (orange & blue ones) but due to lowered ball marker time they effectively became wkt taking deliveries.

Now onto my "Ball Marker" and "Pitch Marker" specific experiences...

A) Ball Marker enabled
1. I'm quite used to it thanks to playing DBC 14 & 17 over the past few years so no particular difference.
2. Batting was slightly easier in this setting as it was easier to spot the ball marker as compared to the pitch marker.
3. Batting against spinners and medium pacers (or when Hazlewood was a bit tired) wasn't that difficult.

B) Pitch Marker enabled (and ball marker disabled)
1. Batting was tougher as the pitch marker was a lot tougher to spot on the pitch as compared to the ball marker around the ball.
2. I had to make the batsman "transparent" else I wasn't able to see the pitch marker often.
3. It was still not easy to spot the pitch marker for fuller deliveries (yorkers or full tosses landing behind the stumps). And that's why most of my dismissals were bowled or LBWs as I was late on the fuller deliveries.
4. I found myself watching the pitch as the bowler ran in instead of watching the bowler or the bowler's hand as the bowler delivered the delivery. That reminded me why I like the "Ball Marker" batting option so much better coz I look at the bowler's hand just like in real cricket.
5. There was one positive of playing with the 'Pitch Marker' option in that I used the backfoot shots much more. While playing using the "Ball Marker" option you tend to play on the front foot even if the ball is just short of good length and even if it's a Hard pitch. Using pitch marker, I had to judge which foot to use as there was no length marker (green, red, orange, blue) to guide me and as such I played off the back foot in cases where I would've picked the front foot shots if the length marker had been visible.

Summary :-
1. The gameplay modifiers (other than 'Ball Marker Display Time' and 'Shot Timing Difficulty') don't make any perceptible difference.
2. You can increase the batting difficulty artificially by reducing the reaction time by lowering the 'Ball Marker Display Time' but it still doesn't end up in more edges. You simply get more dismissals (and lower totals) by you being bowled or LBW by being late against quicker bowlers and seeing 'LATE MISS' timing feedback often.
3. Batting with 'Ball Marker' is much more intuitive as compared to 'Pitch Marker' as you tend to look at the pitch in the latter option.
4. Big Ant needs to address the imbalance between bat & ball as increasing the batting difficulty artificially by reducing ball marker display time is a short term fix. In the long term the game should force users to use better judgment and penalise the users if they consistently make wrong choices, i.e. cover driving a good or a short of good length delivery outside off against a new ball on a green pitch.

Im having frame rate issues playing a t20 at the gabba anyone have the same issues

It's incredible that we still don't know exactly what each slider does. They are not detailed in the instructions/manual and this includes DBC17. We have, for the most part, tested and experimented with these over 2 different titles, to figure them out and still, half of them don't seem to really do anything. They want to market the casual gamer but they don't tell them how to custom tune their game. Its not even known on the internet. The actual crux of the game is an unknown. The new seam stuff is also an unknown. I would have thought we would have multiple page slider stickies by now like other games that have them. We actually still don't know much. Can't the devs just release the docs of what each slider means and the new seam feature.

All the gameplay modifier are working and working very well.
U just have to play a long innings like a complete 20over or a odi, or a session of a test game to Chek the results.
Increase or decrease the batting modifiers by 25 points atleast.

It's incredible that we still don't know exactly what each slider does. They are not detailed in the instructions/manual and this includes DBC17. We have, for the most part, tested and experimented with these over 2 different titles, to figure them out and still, half of them don't seem to really do anything. They want to market the casual gamer but they don't tell them how to custom tune their game. Its not even known on the internet. The actual crux of the game is an unknown. The new seam stuff is also an unknown. I would have thought we would have multiple page slider stickies by now like other games that have them. We actually still don't know much. Can't the devs just release the docs of what each slider means and the new seam feature.
If they are giving focus to casual gamers why not document a pdf describing the game controls in detail,most gaming companies are doing that
and there is no escaping that, and there is no argument as such "All the controls are provided in the game itself, go and look for yourself".

Coz based on my tweaking the ball marker display time that was the setting when I was able to get the input on time. If I dropped it lower I was late on shots most of the time. On the hardest batting difficulty (with batting sliders maxed for most gameplay elements) I should not be able to cover drive a good length delivery outside off against a new ball on a green pitch without any risk. That's the fundamental problem.

As an example on a green seaming pitch I know likes of Hazlewood & Anderson would pitch it on a good length on off. They could tell me the exact spot where they will land the ball but it will still not be any easier for me to bat coz the ball will seam/swing and make cover driving an experience fraught with risk. That's the gap at the moment. If you want to look the other way and find options like playing with pitch marker instead of ball/length marker or reduce the display time so be it. But it hides the fact that the balance between bat & ball is not there. There should not be any way (on higher difficulty levels at least) that I should be able to cover drive top bowlers with impunity on a green pitch in overcast conditions.
you weren't on hardest ..you were on hard level..also , play with broadcast camera and you'll see the difference

you weren't on hardest ..you were on hard level..also , play with broadcast camera and you'll see the difference

If the issue is of timing, then I would recommend to Bat on Bowling Far Camera. Easier to spot the delivery once you play 1 or 2 overs.

I have been playing with this since DBC 17 and seems to work well for me.

Static cameras (Fixed Far and Fixed Close) are also good.

On Hardest you need to premeditate most of the time especially the foot selection

Is anything happening on the AI field positions front. ? Any testing
The beta process is ongoing but we will need to be patient however frustrating that may be. BA have a lot of irons in the fire and dont forget that it is the festive and summer holiday Down Under. We need to figure out work arounds at the mo for certain issues and have the confidence that the game will continue to be supported in the coming months. It would have been better for BA If the Ashes had been more of a cliffhanger.....the game is very playable with some tweaking from our side and we can use everyones feedback to shape things more permanently going forward. I am also confident that this is just the first interation of the Ashes series.....dont forget its just over a year and a half that England host!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread