Lee's the Best: Ponting

This is a pretty big statement to make. Especially since McGrath is the best ODI bowler Australia has.

Brett lee is good but he can be expensive at times.

Indiangod said:
This is a pretty big statement to make. Especially since McGrath is the best ODI bowler Australia has.

Brett lee is good but he can be expensive at times.

but the reason for that is because glenn mcgrath ties down the batsmen so well (not necessarily taking wickets). the batsmen then think they have to go after lee to keep the score ticking over. which is when lee takes his wickets. he may go for a few runs but he takes crucial wickets

I really think that Lee will eventually be overrated.
He takes a few wickets and he becomes the best bowler in the world.

ATM i reckon he is overrated. When there is no McGrath he is a hack but when there is he is a gun.

i don't know if we can get some stats with mcgrath and lee playing but i think thats BS he is one if not the best ODI bowlers going around and his stats show it, averages 15 with the ball in the last 10 ODIs.. Agaisnt World XI, England, Sri Lanka and South Africa, not exactly minnows

I agree he is the best in the world by far but we haven't seen him bowl much without McGrath apart from the last match.

He has really improved since 2004 (as i recall).
Still fast and accurate now but still doesn't make him the best.

who is better? Mcgrath is a great bowler but he is past his prime at the moment

I agee McGrath is past his time and many say Pollock is as well but at least he has taken wickets and kept things tight for the South Africans. ATM it would have to be Lee better but he has got to bowl much better at the death situations.

kodos said:
ATM i reckon he is overrated. When there is no McGrath he is a hack but when there is he is a gun.

What?

Lee took 5-22 the other day without McGrath.

Lee has the best ODI bowling stats ever, he isn't as good at Test level. He bowled well in the Ashes but averaged 40.

Lee as a ODI bowler is the best in the world imo, as a striker bowler anyway. If only he could bowl at the death like Freddie.

yeh, he is also a huge confidence player at the death, if he gets hit for a big over he normaly collaspes and gets hit for many more, while if he keeps it tight (not often) he keeps it tight til gets hit:p

He got 5-22 off of 10 overs t'other day that's tight surely?

He can be hit and miss though.

I think people are misinterpreting the article. I think what Ponting meant..is..Lee is the best ODI bowler they have, now...and for the last season or so. Right from the Natwest series in England he is performing consistently. So its right to say that Lee is the best for Australia in the last season.

Users who are viewing this thread