Limiting Piracy of Cricket Games

Dipak

ICC Board Member
Best solution get SRT to endorse your game then make him rant about piracy in tv commercials, atleast half that pirate will buy the game for SRT's sake, thats the only solution i think that can work.
What? Many filmstars come in anti-smoking commercials, do they stop smoking? No.

It's not about the prices, it's not about the availability, it's about the Indian Parent, the Indian Society. Whenever a kid asks for a game, his parents are like "No! When will you study? Exams are coming soon...blah blah blah"...I know it, I've begged a lot for my Ashes 09 CD, I've begged a lot for my Nintendo DS, my friend took 1 year to get his dad by him FIFA11.

Jine

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
^Cant change that attitude lol. Thats Not only indian parents attitude.

asprin

Administrator
Admin
India
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
it's about the Indian Parent, the Indian Society

Have to agree on this. This constitutes a major reason towards piracy as the person in question resorts to any means necessary to get the game in his hands. I'd say in 60% of the cases, desperation seeks in and we all know what that could do to a person.

grkrama

National Board President
What? Many filmstars come in anti-smoking commercials, do they stop smoking? No.

It's not about the prices, it's not about the availability, it's about the Indian Parent, the Indian Society. Whenever a kid asks for a game, his parents are like "No! When will you study? Exams are coming soon...blah blah blah"...I know it, I've begged a lot for my Ashes 09 CD, I've begged a lot for my Nintendo DS, my friend took 1 year to get his dad by him FIFA11.

i suggest SRT cause he is much more than any silly actor in the hearts of people, not many have proper awareness of piracy especially with regards to games.Surely there will be a good increase in sale especially if memorabilia of sachin is also given for those who buy.

I understand your pain, but its time we Indians stopped blaming our parents, we are gifted in a sense to have people who are so attached to their kids, yes it does have some negative effects like you mentioned (mainly due to their lack of exposure to the world), if parents dont give money, earn it, freelance on net ,write articles,design logos or make websites ,stuff like that , any kid over 15 years should be able to start earning if they put their mind to it, i can understand that situation 15 years ago but with internet penetration, its no excuse nowadays.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
From the article:
The site also stresses that developers can choose to opt out of Humble Pricing and instead set specific prices for games in different regions should they wish.

So it's really not much - especially as the developers using the Humble Store aren't the types that would be doing the worst of the region pricing problems in the first place. It's the major publishers trying to match local retail to digital pricing where you get the major rip offs.

Chief

Panel of Selectors
From the article:

"The site also stresses that developers can choose to opt out of Humble Pricing and instead set specific prices for games in different regions should they wish."

So it's really not much - especially as the developers using the Humble Store aren't the types that would be doing the worst of the region pricing problems in the first place. It's the major publishers trying to match local retail to digital pricing where you get the major rip offs.

The onus to "opt out" rather than "opt in" works well here I think. Similarly organ donation programs. Or Biggs' fan club.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
The onus to "opt out" rather than "opt in" works well here I think. Similarly organ donation programs. Or Biggs' fan club.
I was under the understanding that Steam gives a global price by default - with the Euro/Pound pricing being a set 'similar' price point for a given US$ price - such as a US$9.99/?6.99/?5.99 game - not exactly identical, but in the ball park and would be gobbled up by currency conversion fees if you tried to pay in US dollars directly.

GOG are probably the only large-ish digital download service I'm aware of with a blanket worldwide price policy.

--

I'll accept the topic diversion to suggest to everyone to get signed up with your local organ donorship program if you aren't already. You don't need your organs when you're dead, because you're dead. Help save someone else's life as your last action on this earth.

Chief

Panel of Selectors
GOG are probably the only large-ish digital download service I'm aware of with a blanket worldwide price policy.

The app store works like this. And Sony certainly did too (you picked one US price, and all other prices converted to a local equivalent). And Xbox marketplace definitely *used* to, before MS points were replaced with cash amounts.
Not sure if that's still the case.

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
The app store works like this. And Sony certainly did too (you picked one US price, and all other prices converted to a local equivalent). And Xbox marketplace definitely *used* to, before MS points were replaced with cash amounts.
Well the Microsoft points might have been the same number, the cost of the points was much higher in Europe/Australia compared to the US pricing.

I've not had much experience with the Apple/Sony stores so can't really comment - but I suppose prefixing the comment with 'for PC game services' would make me right :yes

BigAntStudios

@Ross
Big Ant
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Sony, MS, Steam all have regional pricing, where they don't have a particular region it will be a euro or us$ conversion

Dipak

ICC Board Member
An article on Piracy

This article is written from an Indian point of view.

Piracy is illegal download of paid/licensed software. It's become a major problem of concern these days. Everything from Games to Software is all pirated and used on a large scale. The points below are limited to piracy of games but can be applicable for other software also.

In a conservative Indian society, their is a rat-race culture and children are pressurized to study for long hours since when they are small. Whenever they ask their parents for a computer game the usual reply is "if you go on play games, when will you study" or "all these games are addictive. Go outside and play"

Well if the child coaxes the parents a bit, he can strike a deal and get the game easily. That's how most of my friends and I get my games. Many students however go the easy way and download them illegally. You can also hear people say "Why do you buy the genuine copy when you're getting it for free?" Also you can earn your money on the internet by many ways. I don't think people would even try that!

It's not limited to torrents either, go to any street shopping place in Mumbai and you'll definitely find one stall selling pirate games. The prices range from Rs.50 wheres the genuine copy might cost Rs.1000. People might make excuses that they aren't rich enough to afford a game. I'd sat if you're not rich enough for the game - how did you get a graphics laptop/PS3 to play it?

Why should we care though? It's because the developers lose money! Piracy is equivalent to stealing that amount of money from the developer. They put in so much hard work for us to enjoy the game. It's our duty to support them, so they keep on bringing quality stuff. Moreover, if there is no piracy, and everyone buys legal copies, the games will come out cheaper, since the sales will be much higher. It's a win-win situation.

It's about the mentality. If someone steals Rs.3000, he is a thief. But if he pirates a game worth Rs.3000 no one considers him as a thief. Piracy is thus equivalent to thievery.

I'm coming to BigAnt's case now. They have brought us a cricket game after seven years, and a game with such quality! I've only played the demo and it's by far the best game. Now imagine how hard the developers worked. I agree the price is tad high, but it's worth it! Please don't pirate the game. We want games of such quality from BigAnt in the future and we don't want a drought of cricket games again. It's our job to support BigAnt by not pirating DBC14. Hopefully we enjoy more cricket games from them in the future - better than DBC14.​

sanjeevaloria

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
pirated copy of game is just good in price some time they come with include virus & some time digital distribution software ask for key. 3 years ago I buy Prince of Persia the forgotten sands pirated copy its price is Rs.50 but when I try to play the game it won't start. & I also buy a brian lara international cricket 2007 pirated copy its price is Rs.100 but it has virus. in online shopping in flipkart don't buy a game from any seller that no has upto 80% positive feedback my alder brother order the sims 3 DVD from ebay its price is Rs.600 but when we install the game origin asked for key but key is not included with DVD manual then we buy other key from origin in Rs.400.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread