LV County Championship 2008

Well, Goodwin and Rayner will need to add about another 70/80 for us to have any chance of a victory. We do have two spinners though, Rayner is a big turner so could be a handful.

[understatement]

Pretty good day for Martin van Jaarsveld today

[/understatement]

Not out 114, then took 5/33, then 70 not out. Here's hoping the weather holds tomorrow (along with the Kent lower order!)

[understatement]

Pretty good day for Martin van Jaarsveld today

[/understatement]

Not out 114, then took 5/33, then 70 not out. Here's hoping the weather holds tomorrow (along with the Kent lower order!)

Tell me about it, he is my Trump player in fantasy cricket, he has scored me 1874 points!

Great bowling from Chapple to complete a 6-fer. Only need 107 to win, should really do it comfortably. No wickets for Flintoff, but he didn't really have the luck.

EDIT: Forgot to say, barring the weather.:p

Last edited:
Weather doesn't look good, they haven't come back on since lunch. We are in the same weather front, it's still raining. Not that dark though.

Damn i was hoping this woul be rained off :p

Some good work from snicko earlier proving fred wasn't out, does Horton always bat this high? If so his average of 50 is really impressive. Don't like the fact he's an Aussie though :p Well he has English parents and has lived here since he was young so it's ok but does he even want to play for us? :D

Damn i was hoping this woul be rained off :p

Some good work from snicko earlier proving fred wasn't out, does Horton always bat this high? If so his average of 50 is really impressive. Don't like the fact he's an Aussie though :p Well he has English parents and has lived here since he was young so it's ok but does he even want to play for us? :D

yeah horton opens for us, he is a quality player who i have been saying should be given the chance in the lions team at least, i think he is a much better player than carburry and hits a lovely looking cover drive,

well done fred, great knock to get us over the finish line, some dodgy shots from him at times, but also some very good shots, the 4 he hit when he came walking down the wicket at RMJ and got it through extra cover was wonderful, and the fact that he hit 3 sixes shows hes getting some confidence back, i really hope he can keep getting his form back with the bat like this, he didnt get any wickets in the match but he did bowl quite well at times and was unlucky not to pick any up

well done fred, great knock to get us over the finish line, some dodgy shots from him at times, but also some very good shots, the 4 he hit when he came walking down the wicket at RMJ and got it through extra cover was wonderful, and the fact that he hit 3 sixes shows hes getting some confidence back, i really hope he can keep getting his form back with the bat like this, he didnt get any wickets in the match but he did bowl quite well at times and was unlucky not to pick any up

It wasn't the greatest innings Freddie has ever played, but it is a small step to getting genuine form, which would be good for him and for England and Lancs. Might also be an idea to keep him up the order since that would give confidence, being in the top order. I would certainly give him more cricket before returning to the England side. Perhaps a good 2 weeks and maybe put him into the last Test and ODI's.

It was a Freddie innings. That's how I want him to play. When he pokes and prods around he's more likely to get out straight away. But when he does what he did today and comes straight out of the blocks and unsettles the bowling attack that's when Fredward is at his best.

Well batted Freddie. He finally finds some batting form, yet struggled to take a wicket throughout the game. Has to be a shoe in for the Saffa series, I'd personally have him in for either Anderson or Collingwood.

It was a Freddie innings. That's how I want him to play. When he pokes and prods around he's more likely to get out straight away. But when he does what he did today and comes straight out of the blocks and unsettles the bowling attack that's when Fredward is at his best.

One thing he can't do, which he did a little in the Twenty20 World Cup, was coming down the pitch to the fast bowlers since he loses his shape. What he did best in the Ashes in 2005 was pretty much stand and deliver and played like a proper batsman would do and play straight, play forward and back when needed and get over the ball, which was the kind of innings he played at Trent Bridge.

Anyway, it was a small step and lets hope it continues since a Freddie as the genuine all rounder would really help the England side after a few difficulties in recent years.

Did you watch the innings ? He was walking down the pitch to the quicks with regularity and smashing them for 6. He was also holding his shape wonderfully, was a proper Flintoff innings.

Has to be a shoe in for the Saffa series, I'd personally have him in for either Anderson or Collingwood.

No. Best not to rush him back while he's still trying to find time in the middle playing. After he feels much more settled again after a few games for Lancashire, then he can come back and hopefully it will just take a few weeks.
Another good thing is that his body seems to have been holding up pretty well, I know it was just a couple of games worth of bowling, but good signs showing.

RoboRocks added 1 Minutes and 41 Seconds later...

Did you watch the innings ? He was walking down the pitch to the quicks with regularity and smashing them for 6. He was also holding his shape wonderfully, was a proper Flintoff innings.

Not always though. The two straight drives were very good but the cuts were less convincing. Its much easier to hold your shape when you are going down the pitch to play straight but he loses it when he plays cuts, pulls and drives through the off side.

Last edited:
Doesn't look like he'll play the 1st test which is a shame imo, when you have Broad at 8 averaging 30 then the batting depth can't be too much of a worry although Ambros has lost some form after he was brought into the ODI side for no apparent reason. Fred just needs to spend time out in the middle because the runs will always come.

Anyway back onto the county championship, another 9 games to go, Leicestershire have lost and nows about the time I lose interest :p

Users who are viewing this thread