LV County Championship 2008

The table looks really interesting now. We're half way through the competition and it's neck and neck up the top and really anyone can still win it I say. A good run of success for one in in Division 1 and they could be going home with prize silverware.

Yep, although Notts seem to have a bit of a gap at the top. Kent were bottom this morning, so just goes to show you that anyone can race up the table with just one win. Sussex look vunerable though, with at least 1 more game played than most.

Sussex look vunerable though, with at least 1 more game played than most.

There trump card Mushtaq Ahmed is also been somewhat naturalized this season, and as you say they have played more games that the other counties. Looks like Nigel's boys have some catching up to do. They did it last year so I wouldn't put it out of them.

SS Mentioned to me last night that Mushy has injured his Knee again, I see he managed 30 odd overs yesterday, but you have to wonder how long it will be before his leg falls off completely ;)

SS Mentioned to me last night that Mushy has injured his Knee again, I see he managed 30 odd overs yesterday, but you have to wonder how long it will be before his leg falls off completely ;)

Well, SS said that Rayner has talent and ability, so it might be his time to step up now as the next Sussex spinner. Luke Wright will come back, which will help them as an all rounder but they still need some work to do to get back to where they'd like to be.

Oh no doubt Ollie is a decent player, I like him alot. But he doesn't have that extra something that Mushy has. A lot of batsmen are beaten in the head before Mushy even bowls a ball, Rayner doesn't have that, he'll have to rely on good balls.

wow, Sajid got goood from no where, James Kirtley didn't play.

I wish I got to watch this match live, but I don't have SS........

Overall good win, always good to see Freddie score runs. Too bad, mushy. He should become a county coach now.

Kirtley doesn't play much FC cricket for us any more.

Our batting is our biggest problem I think. We won't get hundreds from Nash or Hoppo. Adams averages something like 20, with one fifty in FC so far. Goodwin is as brilliant as ever, and Yardy will chip in, but he has moved to opener of late. I think Smith should be brought in to the side, better than Hoppo I think. Luke Wright hasn't had the best of times for us with the bat, Prior has been excellent though.

It's a very tight table, no bad teams as far as I am concerned, about the strongest Div One contest in recent history, I'd say. Our next two games are Somerset and Hampshire, both at home (but at Horsham and Arundel respectively). Big games as they are both around us. I'm not completely confident we will avoid relegation, but we don't have much Cricket in July, which should give Mushy time to recover, if he can recover. But we are only 5 points from 2nd, despite being 6th, but we have played one more game than the others.

Some good work from snicko earlier proving fred wasn't out, does Horton always bat this high? If so his average of 50 is really impressive. Don't like the fact he's an Aussie though :p Well he has English parents and has lived here since he was young so it's ok but does he even want to play for us? :D
I've been saying it for ages!!!!!!!!!!:p Well since last season anyway, was great last season, carried it on this, yeah I think he qualifies for England, would be worth a shout for the Lions before too long.

Good to see Flintoff back in the runs, really needed them, no wickets wasn't really a problem as he didn't have the luck, but him getting a few runs down the order would be useful.

Big, Big win for us yesterday! Pushed us up to second (however, Durham are only 1 point behind with a game in hand, so we will lose that place soon)

Good to see Freddie showing a bit of form with the bat. ;)

I see Kent just scraped over the barrel, winning by 3 wickets thanks to Jones and Arafat seeing them home. Another round of fixtures start tomorrow. LV County Championship -

Division One
Somerset v Kent, Taunton, 11:00
Surrey v Durham, Guildford, 11:00
Sussex v Hampshire, Arundel, 11:00
LV County Championship - Division Two
Middlesex v Warwickshire, Uxbridge, 11:00
Northamptonshire v Derbyshire, Northampton, 11:00

3 out of the 5 games being played at out grounds. I hope to be at Arundel on Thursday or Friday, weather depending. Big game for us, need a win to get us up nearer the top. Hants are bottom. Look poor with the bat, no spinner either. No Mushy for us, an attack of Collymore, Lewry, RMJ and Rayner looks likely. Though rumour is that Liddle will play. Looks like Wright will play too, though he did break his pinkie a couple of weeks ago.

I see Kent just scraped over the barrel, winning by 3 wickets thanks to Jones and Arafat seeing them home.
Managed to see the middle 2 days of that match. Apparently on Day 1 Yorkshire looked like they could bat forever, not surprising as Kent only got back to Canterbury early that morning and have had something like 3 days off in the last 50.

Days 2&3 was a different story, Yorkshire collapsed and then bowled very poorly at Kent, at one point I was thinking "If we can just make the follow-on we have a chance of a draw" yet we managed a decent (and vital first innings lead) Key scoring 150 odd and Yasir a brilliant 90 not out. Yorkshire then batted poorly in their second innings, alot of wickets falling because of terrible shot selection, although some excellent slip catches helped Kent's cause.

Missed Day 4, sounded like a typical Kent performance, as you say scraping over the line when they actually should have walked the match based on their performance on Day 2 and 3.

Looks like Wright will play too, though he did break his pinkie a couple of weeks ago.
Common problem in Brighton that ;)

ECB website says Wright is out for the match though.

Kent look likely to rest Darren Stevens for their trip to Taunton, as he has a slight groin (or is that gorin ;)) strain. Matty Walker looks set to replace him. Walker has had a poor season so far, shame as its his benefit year. Ryan McLaren will return to the side as Azhar Mahood will also be rested.

Last edited:
Talismanic leg-spinner Mushtaq Ahmed sits out the trip to the south coast as he continues his recovery from a knee operation.

His absence means he has missed half of Sussex’s games this season, having undergone surgery on the joint earlier in the campaign.

All-rounder Luke Wright will also play no part this week after fracturing a finger on his left hand during fielding practice with the England Test squad at Lord’s last Friday.

Wright will not play thats a big blow for Sussex and Mushy's leg is going to fall off soon :noway

What a big win for us, we are now second, only 1 point behind with a game in hand. Could this be our season?

Users who are viewing this thread