LV County Championship 2008

And now I know why I hate 4 day games.

I was out of my mind at 2.30, I couldn't watch any more, so I had to come home, Im glad I did, as we are now 63-4 Lancashire lead by 132 runs with 6 second innings wickets left.

Snell hit a half century for Gloucestershire to get them a decent total of 184, something to defend. Kaneria got a 5fer like I said he would and Masters got 3. Terrible batting from us so far though, 25/2! Chopra went for 4 and Gallian went for 1. Disastrous start but it looks like Dexter and Bopara will make good innings, both on 9*. We need Bopara to perform.

Snell hit a half century for Gloucestershire to get them a decent total of 184, something to defend. Kaneria got a 5fer like I said he would and Masters got 3. Terrible batting from us so far though, 25/2! Chopra went for 4 and Gallian went for 1. Disastrous start but it looks like Dexter and Bopara will make good innings, both on 9*. We need Bopara to perform.

Look at ours then:

Lancashire 1st Innings

357 all out (109.2 overs)

Lancashire 2nd Innings

107 for 6 (47.1 overs)

Hampshire 1st Innings

288 all out (113.4 overs)

Terrible batting from you in the second innings.

117/2 the score in our game now though and we've done all but secure the win. Bopara has been incredible with his 71* off 100 while Dexter has impressed at the other end with 39* off 128. Slow but we have loads of time to play with. 64 runs to win. It's in the bag. :)

121/7 at stumps for Lancs, so 190 ahead. Definitely going tomorrow, and it should be an exciting day, if we can bowl like Hampshire have in our second innings. Sutton is still at the crease with Cork and Mahmood to come, who can hit a ball, so hopefully we can get the target up to around 230.

150/2 at stumps, 31 runs to win with 8 wickets in hand. Easy. Dexter's reached his 50 and has raced to 60* whilst Ravi Bopara at the other end has been magnificent with his 83*. It's been quite easy so far, bar the blip at the start, and we should win it early on tomorow morning.

Both sides went at it hammer and tongue as this LV Division One clash swung this way and that, but ultimately ended with Lancashire claiming eleven points and Hampshire picking up nine.

After the hosts were bowled out for 155 in their second innings early on the final day, they had Hampshire on the ropes at 63-4 in their pursuit of 225 to win from 71 overs. Then Chris Benham notched his second half century of the match, a gutsy 64 from 139 balls on a difficult batting pitch, to lift his side off the bottom of the table.

Had Benham, who hit 89 in the first innings, batted through to close, Hampshire would have surely been heading back down south with a second win of the season in their kit bags. But he was caught at point by Francois Du Plessis off the bowling of Sajid Mahmood with the end of the game in sight, and Hampshire captain Dimitri Mascarenhas (25 not out) was unsure whether to go hard for the win.

At 203-7, with 22 needed off two overs, Mascarenhas and David Balcombe had a fleeting dart at hitting the required runs. But it was all too little too late because they fell ten runs short, finishing on 215-7. Fifteen runs were required off the final over, but Glen Chapple kept it down to five by firing a few balls wider of the crease.

That's a poor result for Lancs. Hants at home is a must win.

Yes, I must agree with you there Sureshot.

It hurts the most that we had them at 50 odd for 3, and then to let them get to 173-3 was very, very poor by Lancashire's standards!

Here's hoping Hants provide Kent with a hangover cure then, they are the visitors for Canterbury Cricket Week starting tomorrow. Neil Dexter returns from his loan spell at Essex and goes straight into the team to replace Darren Stevens. Can't help wondering why Kent couldn't have got Dexter back before the T20 final, surely loan deals can be cancelled??

Muzz hits another century as we are 380 odd for 6 against Somerset at Horsham. Adams and Yardy in the runs too. Batting is their strength though.

Worcestershire have bowled Gloucestershire out for 283. Kabir Ali has another 6 wicket haul meaning he is the first bowler to take 50 wickets in the championship this season oddly enough. Hopefully out in form batting line-up can put pressure on Gloucestershire now despite the loss of Mitchell late in the day.

Wonder why Wright was promoted to 3 is there a chance if he moves up the order a test call up soon? a point is he was in the frame to replace collingwood but he was at 7 for sussex but if he came at 6/7 it could help middle order but Shah should get his chance soon

Wright has played at 3 earlier in the season. I would have him at 6, personally. He isn't a number 3 in the longer format. He is also some way off of a test call up.

Users who are viewing this thread