Story Max Walker's Cricket Game - Great Series

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
India v Australia...1st Test 1979/80

After the first day and a half of play was washed out by heavy rain, Australia won the toss and elected to bowl on a damp pitch favouring the bowlers.
India were in trouble, slipping to 110/5 against the seamers, before Yashpal Sharma and Kapil Dev saw them through to stumps.
Conditions for batting improved on the 2nd day and the pair took their 6th wicket partnership to 160 before Yashpal was run out for 102.
Kapil Dev went on to post a century of his own, and with Kirmani scoring 76 not out, and contributions from the tail, India recovered impressively to 428 all out.
The Australian seamers tried hard, but legspinner Higgs was a disappointment though he could claim to be unlucky.

India 1st innings...428 all out (24.2)

S.Gavaskar (c)................lbw Hurst...................................19
C.Chauhan......................c Dymock b Hurst........................2
G.Viswanath...................st Wright b Higgs........................16
D.Vengsarkar.................c Wright b Hogg..........................39
Yashpal Sharma.............run out.......................................102
Yajurvindra Singh..........b Dymock....................................10
Kapil Dev.......................c Wright b Dymock.....................109
S.Kirmani (wk)......................not out.................................76*
K.Ghavri........................c Higgs b Hogg............................27
S.Venkataraghavan........b Dymock....................................11
D.Doshi..........................c Wright b Hogg...........................8
Extras 9 (nb 3, b 6)
TOTAL: 428 all out (24.2)
Fall of Wickets: 19,28,63,97,110,270,315,354,375,428

R.Hogg..................3-93 (5.5)
A.Hurst.................2-96 (5)
G.Dymock.............3-90 (6)
J.Higgs.................1-97 (6)
A.Border...............0-38 (2)

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
The Australian reply began badly, as they slipped to 62/4, before a 5th wicket partnership of 104 between Kim Hughes and Rick Darling salvaged the innings.
Hughes was out for a fine 79, and Darling an encouraging 61, though their team mates underperformed on a blameless pitch.
Venkataraghavan was the pick of the bowlers with his offspin, though it was Doshi initially with his left arm spin who troubled the batsmen most.
With the first day washed out with rain, the follow on target was reduced to 150, meaning Australia were forced to follow on 182 behind.

Australia 1st innings...246 all out (16.1 overs)

A.Hilditch..............c Kirmani b Kapil Dev.................0
G.Wood.................lbw Ghavri...............................20
A.Border...............st Kirmani b Doshi....................30
K.Hughes..............b Venkataraghavan...................79
G.Yallop................lbw Doshi..................................0
R.Darling..............c Kirmani b Venkataraghavan....61
K.Wright (wk).......c Kirmani b Venkataraghavan....25
J.Dymock..............c Chauhan b Yajuravindra..........14
R.Hogg........................not out.................................9*
J.Higgs..................b Venkataraghavan....................2
A.Hurst.................lbw Kapil Dev.............................5
Extras 1 (nb)
TOTAL: 246 all out (16.1)
Fall of Wickets: 0,37,62,62,166,202,230,236,238,246

Kapil Dev...................2-52 (3.1)
K.Ghavri.....................1-48 (3)
S.Venkataraghavan.....4-79 (5)
D.Doshi.......................2-56 (4)
Yajuravindra Singh......1-10 (1)

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
Bad light ended play 3 overs early on Day 4, and then rain then wiped out the first session, leaving the pitch favouring the bowlers between Lunch and Tea.
A century from Border and these stoppages meant Australia's quest for a draw was assured, and they would have gained some confidence from the way they dealt with the spinners on a wearing pitch.
Border was superb, holding the innings together at a difficult stage, though Kapil Dev was man of the match for his century and 4 wickets.
All in all it was a good match, and if not for stoppages India would feel they probably should have won.
Australia have some thinking to do ahead of the 2nd Test.

Australia 2nd innings....270/5 (15)

A.Hilditch................b Kapil Dev.................................12
G.Wood...................c Kirmani b Venkataraghavan......46
A.Border.................lbw Ghavri.................................100
K.Hughes (c)...........b Kapil Dev.................................18
G.Yallop..................b Yajuravindra............................21
R.Darling..........................not out..............................49*
K.Wright(wk)...................not out...............................23*
Extras 1 (nb 1)
TOTAL: 270/5 (15)
Fall of Wickets: 12,114,166,180,221

Kapil Dev......................2-47 (3)
K.Ghavri.......................1-58 (3)
S.Venkataraghavan.......1-85 (4)
D.Doshi.........................0-65 (4)
Yajuravindra.................1-15 (1)

Match Drawn.

Man of the Match: Kapil Dev

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
Decided to play a quick game of Max Walker's Cricket Game instead of International Cricket because I feel like something more light hearted and speedy.
Will play a Test between the current Indian and Pakistani lineups to match my International Cricket story.

Lineups and Ratings:

India

M.Vijay....D
S.Dhawan...D
C.Pujara...C
V.Kohli (c)...C
A.Rahane....B
R.Sharma....D...D
R.Ashwin....D...A
W.Saha(wk)...D
R.Jadeja...E...A
B.Kumar...E...B
M.Shami...F...B

Pakistan

Azhar Ali...C...D
Sami Aslam...D
Asad Shafiq...C
Younis Khan...B
Misbah-ul-Haq (c)...C
Sarfraz Ahmed (wk)...C
Mohammad Nawaz...E...C
Yasir Shah...F...A
Mohammad Aamir...F...B
Zulfiqar Babar...F...C
Wahab Riaz...G...B

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
India v Pakistan, 1st Test, Kolkata, 2016

India won the toss and elected to bat in perfect batting conditions that would persist throughout the whole of the first day.
The openers added 42 before Vijay was bowled by Wahab Riaz for 27.
Pujara and Dhawan then took India to Lunch without further loss, adding 90 in quick time.
Pujara was out after Lunch, bowled by Yasir Shah for 38, ending the 2nd wicket partnership on 106.
Kohli then joined Dhawan in a partnership of 118 for the 3rd wicket.
Dhawan was eventually dismissed lbw to Zulfiqar for a hard hitting 147 with the score on 266/3.
Rahane soon followed, caught Younis Khan bowled Yasir Shah for just 4, leaving the score 273/4.
Rohit then joined Kohli in a steadying partnership of 78.
Kohli was eventually out caught behind for 101, leaving the score on 361/6.
Ashwin soon followed, bowled by Aamir with the 2nd new ball for 10.
Saha and Rohit saw India to stumps without further loss.
India took full toll of the Pakistani bowling in perfect batting conditions, scoring close to 400 in the day, and offering the Pakistani bowlers few chances.

Stumps, Day 1

India 386/6 (18)

M.Vijay..................b Wahab Riaz......................................27 (8)
S.Dhawan..............lbw Zulfiqar Babar...............................147 (38)
C.Pujara................b Yasir Shah........................................38 (11)
V.Kohli (c)..............c Sarfraz Ahmed b Mohammad Aamir.....101 (31)
A.Rahane...............c Younis Khan b Yasir Shah.....................4 (2)
R.Sharma.............................not out................................45* (11)
R.Ashwin................b Mohammad Aamir.............................10 (3)
W.Saha (wk).........................not out................................12* (4)
Extras: 2 (2nb)
TOTAL: 386/6 (18)
Fall: 42,146,266,273,351,361

Mohammad Aamir........2-90 (4)
Wahab Riaz.................1-85 (4)
Yasir Shah..................2-103 (5) (2nb)
Zulfiqar Babar.............1-83 (4)
Mohammad Nawaz.......0-25 (1)

Dhawan.jpg

Dhawan was eventually dismissed for 147 after setting up the game for India.

Last edited:

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors

Conditions changed to Normal for Day 2, and the Indians took their total to a strong 495 before being dismissed.
Rohit retired hurt on 45 at 386/6, bringing Jadeja to the wicket.
Saha was bowled for 27 with the score on 400/7, bringing B.Kumar to the crease.
Kumar and Jadeja then added an important 91, before Jadeja was caught by Mohammad Nawaz off Yasir for 44.
Kumar was lbw to Wahab, ending the innings with Rohit unable to resume.

India 495 all out (25.1)

M.Vijay....................b Wahab Riaz.....................................27 (8)
S.Dhawan................lbw Zulfiqar Babar..............................147 (38)
C.Pujara..................b Yasir Shah.......................................38 (11)
V.Kohli (c)...............c Sarfraz Ahmed b Mohammad Aamir.....101 (31)
A.Rahane................c Younis Khan b Yasir Shah.....................4 (2)
R.Sharma................retired hurt........................................45* (12)
R.Ashwin.................b Mohammad Aamir.............................10 (3)
W.Saha (wk)............b Mohammad Aamir.............................27 (8)
R.Jadeja..................c Mohammad Nawaz b Yasir Shah..........44 (19)
B.Kumar..................lbw Wahab Riaz...................................45 (19)
M.Shami........................not out.........................................4* (1)
Extras: 3 (2nb, w)
TOTAL: 495 all out (25.1)
Fall: 42,148,266,273,351,361,400,491,495

Mohammad Aamir...........3-131 (6) (w)
Wahab Riaz....................2-97 (5.1)
Yasir Shah.....................3-141 (8) (2nb)
Zulfiqar Babar................1-83 (4)
Mohammad Nawaz..........0-43 (2)

Last edited:

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors

Pakistan collapsed in reply to India's 495, slipping to 81/3 at Tea, then 107/6 shortly after.
Pakistan's woes were summed up when captain Misbah was run out first ball for a duck.
Jadeja claimed 3-48, as only Azhar with 44, and Younis with 38 put up early resistance.
A counterattacking 50 from Sarfraz saw Pakistan to stumps in an unbeaten 82* run partnership for the 7th wicket with the dogged Yasir.

Stumps, Day 2

Pakistan 189/6 (10.0)

Azhar Ali.....................c Saha b Jadeja.........................44 (12)
Sami Aslam.................c Saha b Sami............................0 (1)
Asad Shafiq.................c Shami b Ashwin.......................21 (7)
Younis Khan.................lbw Jadeja................................38 (11)
Misbah-ul-Haq (c).........run out......................................0 (1)
Sarfraz Ahmed (wk)...................not out........................56*(14)
Mohammad Nawaz........lbw Jadeja.................................4 (2)
Yasir Shah................................not out........................26*(12)
Extras:0
TOTAL: 189/6 (10)
Fall: 20,41,81,103,103,107

B.Kumar............0-41 (2)
M.Shami............1-39 (2)
R.Ashwin............1-61 (3)
R.Jadeja.............3-48 (3)

Jadeja.jpg

Jadeja claimed 3 wickets to leave Pakistan in trouble at Stumps on Day 2 of their match.

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
In future I think I will play Tests with 15 Overs a day (1 Down from the official rules) instead of 18.
This will reduce the rate of runs per day and session, but these have been too high in this Test with the higher rated batsmen.
For Stamina rules, I will rule that seamers can bowl 3 overs a day, and spinners 4.
This will mean that 6 balls in a Max Walker's Cricket Game Test equals a 6 over spell in real time.
This will ensure teams use a 5th bowler at some point during the day, which was intended in the original rules.
All of this means in a real life 90 over day under my rules a seam bowler would be able to bowl a maximum of 18 overs, and a spinner 24.

For ODIs I will rule that 3 balls constitutes the equivalent of a 2 over spell, and therefore 15 balls are bowled in a full "10" over spell.
This means a full ODI innings constitutes 12.5 Max Walker's Cricket Game overs (2.5 Up from the official rules).

This should produce more realistic totals and bowling analyses.

Last edited:

Cricket_tragic

School Cricketer
Hello Slowcoach.
I have spent many hours (days and weeks!) playing the old Max Walker Cricket game too. Loved the detail you can get with the statistics and you can play teams across history or replay whole series!
I found that if you bowl 1 'delivery' but call it an over the game comes out quite realistically. I roll a third dice each time (different colour) with a '6' resulting in another 'delivery'. In this way you can get maidens, high scoring overs and even multiple wickets in an over.
I have four sons who I am planning to introduce this wonderful game to in the near future. I hope that they like it as much as I do! :yes

Rohan68

School Cricketer
Hi Slowcoach,

I just read your replay of Max Walker's Cricket Game. I've just re-aquired this great game for the first time in years and I was wondering if you've rated many teams?
I printed out your 1979/80 Australians and will use it in my game as the team has many of my favourite players from when I was young in it, like Alan Hurst and Rick Darling. I was wondering if you would please be able to rate the 1973 Aussies that toured the Windies as Kerry O'keeffe was my favourite player as a kid and he played all 5 tests and if it's not asking too much, the 1981 Aussies as Trevor Chappell was also a favourite of mine. I had a go at rating the WSC Cavaliers and the Rebel Australian, West Indian, Sri Lankan and English teams that toured South Africa in the 1980's, but it was a while ago now and I'm not even sure how accurate my ratings were.

Cheers mate,

Rohan .

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
Hi Slowcoach,

I just read your replay of Max Walker's Cricket Game. I've just re-aquired this great game for the first time in years and I was wondering if you've rated many teams?
I printed out your 1979/80 Australians and will use it in my game as the team has many of my favourite players from when I was young in it, like Alan Hurst and Rick Darling. I was wondering if you would please be able to rate the 1973 Aussies that toured the Windies as Kerry O'keeffe was my favourite player as a kid and he played all 5 tests and if it's not asking too much, the 1981 Aussies as Trevor Chappell was also a favourite of mine. I had a go at rating the WSC Cavaliers and the Rebel Australian, West Indian, Sri Lankan and English teams that toured South Africa in the 1980's, but it was a while ago now and I'm not even sure how accurate my ratings were.

Cheers mate,

Rohan .
Hello Rohan, sorry for late reply, only just started using the forum again.
I use a rough formula for rating players as follows:

Batting Average:
60+ = A
50-59 = B
40-49 = C
30-39 = D
20-29 = E
10-19 = F
0-9 = G

Bowling Average:
Under 28 = A
28 - 34 = B
35 - 44 = C
45+ = D

Great game, very quick to play which helps, and also quite accurate for it's time, glad you enjoy it so much.

SydCricket

School Cricketer
With the recent passing of cricket legend Max Walker, I decided to track down the old cricket dice game in his name, Max Walker's Cricket Game.
It enables you to recreate great series between past teams, players are rated according to their real life averages, and though simple, the game gives realistic results.
In a tribute to Max, I will be replaying some great series of the past, and also modern series alongside the real thing, to keep the memory of his great game alive.

Having good knowledge of the tables and statistics involved enables me to rate any player realistically and recreate any match.
Having played the game for years, I noticed run rates and totals under the original rules were low, so increased the number of overs in a day in a Test to 18, and the number in an ODI innings to 15. I can also play T20 matches with 10 over innings.

The first series I decided to recreate was the first full series I watched on tv, Australia v Pakistan, 5 Tests, in 1983/4.
In real life the series was dominated by the Australians, with Imran Khan injured and unable to bowl, Pakistan were powerless to stop a powerful batting lineup.
In a what if scenario, I decided to recreate the series with Imran fully fit to see what impact if any he could have on the series.

Match Reports and Progress Updates to follow.

View attachment 174587
I want to convert this old board game to a computer game -- to do this i just need pictures of the game algorithm the batting scoring chart -- the bowling scoring scoring chart and pictures of the match conditions and loose ball cards

i converted it to a computer game when i was a kid and it cycled through the dice while making a beeping sound with each scoring of runs and a large big beep sound with each appeal.

I used to load the team sheets into the program using csv data and the read algorithm and the 5th bowler used to deman a turn every 8 overs.

At the end of the game it printed out the results.

Once i produced the computer game the cardboard box was thrown away and the discs the soft ware was stored on eventually became unusable by modern computers and it was forgotten. I would like to rebuild the program and make it public -- subject to copyright which has almost certainly become redundant now.

please could someone send the images hi lighted above to [email protected]

sincerely Syd Cricket

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
I want to convert this old board game to a computer game -- to do this i just need pictures of the game algorithm the batting scoring chart -- the bowling scoring scoring chart and pictures of the match conditions and loose ball cards

i converted it to a computer game when i was a kid and it cycled through the dice while making a beeping sound with each scoring of runs and a large big beep sound with each appeal.

I used to load the team sheets into the program using csv data and the read algorithm and the 5th bowler used to deman a turn every 8 overs.

At the end of the game it printed out the results.

Once i produced the computer game the cardboard box was thrown away and the discs the soft ware was stored on eventually became unusable by modern computers and it was forgotten. I would like to rebuild the program and make it public -- subject to copyright which has almost certainly become redundant now.

please could someone send the images hi lighted above to [email protected]

sincerely Syd Cricket
Can't scan the images but I can type out the Batting and Bowling charts and the Loose Ball and Match Conditions cards for you.
I once programmed my own version of the game on a Commodor 64 in Basic, wasn't too hard to do, I also added different aggression rates for batting and some extra bowling ratings.
I typed out the charts and Loose Ball cards for another user in another thread, will copy and paste it over, will get on to the Match Conditions cards when I get home.

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
@SydCricket

Batting Chart

.................A...............B.................C..............D................E................F..............G.......
2......Appeal...........2...........Appeal.....Appeal.....Appeal......Dot............3......
3............1............Appeal....Appeal.....Appeal.....Appeal.....Appeal...Appeal.
4............4.................6................6................4.................1................3.............Dot..
5............6.................4................2.................3................2................4............Appeal
6............4.................3................3................6.................3................2................1
7............4.................4................4................4.................4................1...............Dot
8............6.................4................4................3.................4................2................2
9............2.................6...............6..................4................3................2................1
10.........3.................3................3.............Appeal....Appeal....Appeal.....Appeal
11...Appeal....Appeal.....Appeal............3................4............Appeal........4
12...............................................LOOSE BALL.................................................................

Bowling Chart

.............................A.........................................B......................................C..........................................D.....................................E
2...........................................................................NO BALL........................................................................................................
3.......................LBW....................................LBW................................Not Out.....................Caught..........................Caught
4..................Ct Behind...........................Caught...........................Stumped....................Bowled........................Not Out
5......................Caught...........................Not Out............................Not Out......................Not Out.....................Caught
6......................Not Out..........................Not Out..........................Caught..........................Not Out...................Not Out
7.....................Bowled.............................Bowled...........................Not Out........................Not Out.................Not Out
8.....................Not Out..........................Not Out............................Bowled.........................Not Out................Not Out
9......................Caught...........................Ct Behind.......................Not Out.......................Caught.....................Not Out
10.....................LBW.................................Stumped............................LBW.............................LBW........................Not Out
11..................Ct Behind............................LBW..............................Not Out.......................Not Out..................Bowled
12...............................................................LOOSE BALL...................................................................................................................

Users who are viewing this thread