Mickey Arthur Resigns

Valaskjalf

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
Apparently Arthur's "resignation" was also to do with his team selection and hence, lack of transformation found in his sides. The same old story....I suppose noone will be completely happy with the side until we have 11 non-whites in the team *sigh.

I thought we might struggle in India before all this news broke, but now we're toast. Our team has never been very good under testing circumstances behind the scenes (not many teams would be) so yeah, it will take a monstrous effort from Corrie van Zyl to keep the guys focussed and get us to win the series over there. This is a complete fackup. Is it true that the the entire panel was sacked as well? If so then Im glad they got rid of Mike Procter - he hasnt done our cricket the least bit of good.

But im sure we will keep hearing the same drivel from Smith as always "We've been playing good cricket for a period of time (WTF is a "period" of time??)....time to go from strength to strength....the guys are hungry for success" and all that stuff no one believes.

Last edited:

stefan

International Coach
I am sure the guys will do fine. They have experienced guys like corrie and kepler(part of the interim selection commitee) who will know how to handle this situation.

mdoggie

Club Cricketer
Didn't Ford turn down the indian job because he doesn't want to travel because of family commitments??

Graham wouldn't be bad , he had a terrific record as SA coach before he met aus in one series which cost him his job.

Anyway the iterim selection commitee is corrie van zyl,gerald mayola and kepler wessels.
You mean Gerald Majola right. Hopefully the selectors won't have to do anything because with Majola, who knows who will play.

I hate these bloody transformation targets, their killing the countries sport. I hope they don't put a puppet in the selection commitee who will make sure they reach the transformation targets.

baggy_blogger

News Team Member
I am not surprised at all how this is turning out.
This is what happens when Sport and Politics are mixed. It is not natural and disaster is inevitable within the context of stability.
Underlying politics in South Africa run from Business to Sport and is, in my opinion, unethical and not a natural way in ensuring the best are in place and that the system is stable and viable.

But no doubt Smith will be the inspirational person he is and talk about going back to the drawing board, the boys are up for it, they will play to their strengths...the usual junk.

What a mess.

Last edited:

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
^Yeah, agree. I wouldn't be surprised if SA appoints a black coach. It's happened for their rugby team in Peter De Villiers and it would just be the kind of symbolic, political move they are probably wanting.

stefan

International Coach
^Yeah, agree. I wouldn't be surprised if SA appoints a black coach. It's happened for their rugby team in Peter De Villiers and it would just be the kind of symbolic, political move they are probably wanting.

If they were aiming for that they would have appointed one for the india tour. The fact that van zyl and wessels were appointed goes totally against thsi theory.

Ari

International Cricketer
A rumor going around here in NZ now is that Mickey Arthur is set to be announced as the NZ coach within the week - the plot thickens.

I can't see it happening but if its true that makes things very interesting.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
If they were aiming for that they would have appointed one for the india tour. The fact that van zyl and wessels were appointed goes totally against thsi theory.

Are these guys not INTERIM appointments?

They may end up going for a white coach permanently, but I think it will only be because the white candidates are more qualified. I think if a similarly credentialled black coach were available, he'd get the job in a second.

And BTW, I don't think I'm being racist, it's just an observation. I don't think hiring a black coach for his skin colour is 'wrong', but I just think the best guy should get the job - period. I admire the SA attempts to promote equality with player quotas and such, I just don't agree with it.

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
Everyone seems to mention thatArthur is a tool, but they fail to say that he's brought South Africa from the middle of the test rankings, right up to the top.

aditya123

National Board President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
I guess any SA success in India will depend entirely on the pitches prepared. If they are prepared at all......:eek:

Just one game where the wicket helps the spinners at Kanpur in 2008, and people start stereotyping Indian wickets. Australia and England both lost test matches and series in India in 2008 on pitches which were not even remotely spin friendly or underprepared. In fact, if anything they lost because the Indian seamers got a lot more wickets than the Aussie/English seamers. Sri Lanka came here and gave 5ers to our seamers and lost the series 2-0 last month.

Can`t think of a typical Indian dustbowl of a wicket in the past few years apart from a couple of instances.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Just one game where the wicket helps the spinners at Kanpur in 2008, and people start stereotyping Indian wickets. Australia and England both lost test matches and series in India in 2008 on pitches which were not even remotely spin friendly or underprepared. In fact, if anything they lost because the Indian seamers got a lot more wickets than the Aussie/English seamers. Sri Lanka came here and gave 5ers to our seamers and lost the series 2-0 last month.

Can`t think of a typical Indian dustbowl of a wicket in the past few years apart from a couple of instances.

This time, Kolkata might be close to its usual spinning self (which will be good). Nagpur is a result oriented pitch with good carry and bounce. I am predicting that both games will produce results.

Users who are viewing this thread