New Zealand coaching situation - Greatbatch steps in as NZ coach

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Well it's been three months since Andy Moles "resigned" as his position as New Zealand coach, and still New Zealand cricket have yet to decide on who will coach this team into the next world cup. We were told that a new coach would be found by the start of New Zealand's summer (the Bangladesh tour) and this is looking increasely unlikey as the days draw closer.

I thought I'd start up a thread as this topic might start getting abit hot with the news that New Zealand cricket were sniffing around South Africa's Mickey Arthur before he resigned as South Africa's coach and news that NZC boss Justin Vaughan is a "big fan of what he's done for South African cricket".

SA cricket coach tipped for New Zealand | Stuff.co.nz

Although tbf Vaughan did play down the Mickey Arthur link today

Justin Vaughan plays down Mickey Arthur link | Stuff.co.nz

I've also heard John Wright is actually considering taking over this team, but tbh you never really know with him.

Ari

International Cricketer
Well Vaughan did confirm someone will be named before the start of the Bangladesh series so within six days in other words.

For me I would like to see Arthur get the job I am a big fan of his and I don't see many other good options around at the moment either however I still reckon that is a long shot. Wright would be good but I don't see it happening.

To be honest I think we might get a shock when its announced I could see it going to someone who has been under the radar the whole time or maybe a former player without much top class coaching experience. It would surprise me if it went to one of the more common names being thrown around call it a gut feeling.

irottev

School Cricketer
Would like to see either of them. However, I think we might actually be coachless for the Bangladesh series.

The other thing is, do we actually need a head coach? I'm sure the other coaching staff can cover all those jobs.

Interesting situation with South Africa.

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
Daniel Vettori to go captain coach?

How about Stephen Fleming?

Gazza_11 added 1 Minutes and 28 Seconds later...

Or even Richard Hadlee?

rocky_g

International Cricketer
Daniel Vettori to go captain coach?

How about Stephen Fleming?

Gazza_11 added 1 Minutes and 28 Seconds later...

Or even Richard Hadlee?
How about Chris Cairns or Chris Harris? :)

Ari

International Cricketer
Fleming said no to it because he was to close with some of current players still infact I think he is still the manager of Brendon McCullum and James Franklin. I reckon he would be a good coach maybe sometime in the future though.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Would like to see either of them. However, I think we might actually be coachless for the Bangladesh series.

The other thing is, do we actually need a head coach? I'm sure the other coaching staff can cover all those jobs.

Interesting situation with South Africa.

I still think in the long term perspective of things, it's imperative New Zealand cricket find a coach who will help gel and improve some of the younger players already in the team, and the ones that are yet to play.

irottev

School Cricketer
We have coaches though, a batting coach and a bowling coach. Fielding coaches. What exactly does the head coach do? Lets face it, unless you have someone of high quality there's no point having a coach at all. Moles is a great example. He was a no body. How could he coach a bunch of players who were all already 100 times better than he ever was? He couldn't. Well he played a lot of county cricket, fair enough, but he never once played International cricket. So really he has no right to be an international coach.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
^Like Mickey Arthur or John Buchanan?? They never played internationally... Tim Neilsen hasn't either. Playing ability has nothing to do with coaching ability as far as I can see. In fact many ex international players are idiots who I wouldn't want near my team no matter what eg. former Aussie quicks Jeff Thomson and Rodney Hogg.

As for how many coaches you need I'm an American football fan so I don't mind lots of coaches :p. I just think they should have a different focus and they shouldn't be all full time. Have a batting coach on call and a bowling and fielding coach on call when needed. Have a head coach or manager who's media savvy and a good strategist and shares a similar attitude to the captain so they can bounce ideas of each other.

And nominating dark horses, what about Ken Rutherford for a dark horse? He coached Ireland at one stage didn't he? He might be a low key guy who could just be an extra strategist in the room, rather than a demonstrative, look-at-me coach. Maybe he's still angry at NZ for sacking him as captain, I dunno what he's even doing at present. But he's about the right age you want for a coach and he's a former captain so he'd have a bit of respect.

irottev

School Cricketer
^Like Mickey Arthur or John Buchanan??

They were carried by a pretty good side though. A trained monkey coulda coached those sides. I know Warney and other players in Australia said the same thing.

edit: It's more of a challenge coaching a side like NZ with more limited resources and talent.

Last edited:

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Dipak Patel is an option as well, isn't he? He's wanted the job for a while now.

And he's done more then enough coaching at the lower levels taking the 2008 under 19 team to the semi's in the world cup and doing a fairly decent job with Central Districts a few years back.

Ari

International Cricketer
Coach is going to be announced tomorrow morning.

Darren Lehmann and Mark Greatbatch are rumored to be the front runners for it, I hope its not the latter.

Last edited:

irottev

School Cricketer
I hope it's neither. I am a fan of Lehmann, but he's very unproven.

Users who are viewing this thread