Mitch Johnson will pip Wasim Akram and become most successful left-arm bowler - Waqar Younis

Another thing is, Ive watched Wasim since 1988, there were plenty of matches where he got absolutely no swing or any movement, and got hit around. Its not like the guy ran through every team when he bowled. He was very good but not amazing. He did have a great few years where he toured England in 1992, and had a good season here in 89/90, but already by the mid 90's he was a lot more playable- once the pace dropped away he was easier to read. Mark Taylor had great success against Pak and faced Wasim all through his career- in his book he says Wasim was very harder to face in 88/89 than 1995 once he was a bit slower.

Another thing is, Ive watched Wasim since 1988, there were plenty of matches where he got absolutely no swing or any movement, and got hit around. Its not like the guy ran through every team when he bowled. He was very good but not amazing. He did have a great few years where he toured England in 1992, and had a good season here in 89/90, but already by the mid 90's he was a lot more playable- once the pace dropped away he was easier to read. Mark Taylor had great success against Pak and faced Wasim all through his career- in his book he says Wasim was very harder to face in 88/89 than 1995 once he was a bit slower.

In 96 he averaged 24, in 97 he averaged 17.7, in 98 he averaged 31.5, in 99 he averaged 26, in 2000 he averaged 26.

Two of his 3 finest years came in 94 and 95 (the other was in 1990), 10 years after he had started his career. He got 47 and 45 wickets and averaged 17 and 21. He did well towards the end imo.

If Wasim wasn't amazing who is?

The only player that was amazing is Donald Bradman.

Everyone else had their ups and downs. It is just that their downs get lost in time as people don't remember those things.

Cricketers are judged by their great performances, and that is the way cricket should be followed.

One other factor which made Wasim Akram lethal and dangerous was the presence of Waqar Younis at the other end.
Waqar benefited more from that partnership, though. Particularly with his length, Waqar could bowl a lot of hittable deliveries, but if someone had pinned the other end down, then not only was he a better chance of creating a rash shot, but he was more likely to bowl a longer spell.

Don't think its unreasonable to think that he will get as many wickets as Wasim. Atm he's taking 4.5 wickets per match which would mean he will overtake Wasim's record by the time he plays 80-90 tests if he keeps going at this rate.

Doubt he'll end up nearly as good a bowler as Wasim though.

Can't say I agree with Waqar here. Mitchell Johnson is 28, he has what, four maybe five years left in test cricket. I just can't see him playing in enough test matches to go past Akram tbh.

I reckon he could go past 35. He's pretty damn fit.

He is but for a fast bowler 35 is bit too old.Australia will not per long his career that much because when a bowler moves over 30 his stamina and arm movement decreases a lot like of Wasim too.

That is the most ridiculous statement from Waqar Ive ever heard.

We all know Mitchell Johnson is a top bowler but he will never be comparable to the legend that Wasim Akram was. Able to swing the ball at will both ways, he was probably one of the most intelligent fast bowlers the game has ever seen.

With an average of around 23 hes possibly the best left-arm quick to ever live...Johnson will never get near.

I reckon he could go past 35. He's pretty damn fit.

only a rare few went into their late 30s, McGrath and Walsh come to mind but their actions and the way they bowled were made for accuracy, swing and seam. Johnson's action isnt anything like that and he isn't the most economical bowler, like I said he already had some injuries and it will be tough for him to keep going into his mid to late 30s.

Users who are viewing this thread