More proof of why Ricky Ponting is easily the greatest batsman of the modern era.

The average is a fraction of a run less, and Sachin has maintained it over a far longer number of matches. To get a real idea, you will have to compare their averages either after both have retired or both have played the same number of games. Since Sachin has such a head-start, it'll probably be the former rather than the latter.

ODI statistics if you deduct their matches against minnow sides.

Code:
Ricky Ponting		9746 runs	42.74	80.73	23 hundreds
Sachin Tendulkar	13637 runs	42.35	84.16	32 hundreds

Shame Ponting went through such a long slump in ODI cricket this year, because his average would've been allot higher at the start of the year.

He's maintained that average (and that brilliant strike rate too!) for 417 games now. Plus, Zimbabwe weren't that bad of a team in the 90's, they had a good attack comprising of Streak and Olanga.

He's maintained that average (and that brilliant strike rate too!) for 417 games now.
If he went 40 matches without scoring, he would still have an average over 40, but would you still say he was maintaining his records? Averages and strike rates change over time and the longer a career, the less maintenance is required. If you look at the last 4 years, Ponting stands out as the top runs scorer in major ODIs, but even then, players like Dhoni, Pietersen or Hussey, all of whom have started their careers inside that timeframe, stand out as the star ODI players of recent times.

So I don't really know what people are trying to get out of this discussion. If you want to rank batsmen by runs, well sure, Tendulkar is easily the greatest, but does that mean that Jayasuriya is the second greatest? I'd like to see someone win that argument. On the other hand, saying that a player will be the greatest by the time they have played 400 ODIs... now that's tricky and that's where the shorter term analysis comes in. Who is a gun right now, those are the numbers you can really get an understanding of and to be fair, what a player did back in 1995 doesn't have a hell of a lot of bearing on it.

For the record though, I don't think any ODI player has dominated his peers like Viv Richards. His strike rate of 90 is high even for a modern cricketer and he played in a time when just scoring 50 in 70 balls had you marked as aggressive. Out of players who scored more than 1000 runs during his 16 year career, only Kapil Dev was more destructive, striking at close to a run a ball, but no where near as consistent, averaging more than 20 runs less. He was the ODI aggregate leader during his career and although Haynes eventually overtook him, he had to face 3000 more deliveries to get there. I'd call that easy domination. I don't think anyone in today's cricket is that far ahead.

The ability to go 40 matches without scoring and still have an average of over 40 can go two ways. The way you have interpreted it is that it is not as hard to maintain an average as we suggest. The way I interpret it is that he has done all that work earlier in his career, to even reach the point where he can do this. In fact, if he can keep an average of over 40 in this scenario, that's only a testament to how he has dominated the bowlers in years past.

Congratulations for Sachin :p Funny how all these comments start appearing once players (like Warne and Gilchrist) get to India, and don't say anything once they're out of India.

Strangely enough though, the IPL brought a lot of players to India, which is what you were talking about.

"best modern bastman of this era" averages only 12 in India !
Great.

Dont count asif he's been tested positive twice and once again he's going to say i never knew the substance he used were drugs

if you consider ponting as the greatest batsmen of CENTURY.....then what about tendulkar,lara........where are these fellows suppose to fit...

Unless you meant the century from 2000-present, then what about Bradman for that matter? Or Viv Richards? Or Gavaskar? Or Lara?

As a batsman Ponting doesn't compare to Lara and Tendulkar, those two are a class above him. It is unfortunate that their peaks never came at the same time as Ponting, because then the debate would have been settled for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread