More proof of why Ricky Ponting is easily the greatest batsman of the modern era.

Ok so let me end the topic ''Sachin can't perform under pressure'' with some stats.

Sachin's overall average: 44.33

Sachin's average in the matches India have won:57.43
Now If you analyse this winning average then,
won batting first: 57.64
won fielding first: 57.21

Sachin's average in,
World Cup: 57.93
Asia Cup: 49.93
ICC Champions Trophy:39.36

Sachin doesn't perform in Finals,ha?
tournament finals: 52.96

Plus Sachin is the only cricketer who has scored 1000+ runs in 7 calender years and that is enough to prove his consistency.
Sachin has scored 100 against every test playing countries except England(where He was given out by bad decision on 99)in the matches that India have won.

Link for all stats that are mentioned above.

Sachin Tendulkar has average of 40 in South Africa.

Now If check his average when India have lost 32.58.

Owned.

vaibhav mehta added 31 Minutes and 41 Seconds later...

Couple of interviews from the people who have been legend of the game,

Sir Viv Richards
Viv Richards:
Q: Do you see any weakness in Sachin?s batting? Anything you want corrected?
A: Weakness? (Incredulous.) Corrected? When a guy is playing like that you don?t have a look at his batting for faults. I would say he?s 99.5 per cent perfect.
Q: Some players have commented that when he finishes he would be in the top two-three players who ever played the game?
A: Easy. I think he?s already there. Even if he retires tomorrow and doesn?t achieve anything more he is right there. And he?s still young. I have never seen Bradman but heard people talk about him. But I tell you what; if Bradman could bat like this man does then he was dynamite. I have seen only Sachin. Players like Sachin deserve to be preserved in cotton wool. I first saw him when he was touring England. I saw two of his innings. When you start hitting respectable fast bowlers for sixes over their heads then you are serving notice.

Read there are more opinion here,.......

vaibhav mehta added 6 Minutes and 34 Seconds later...

also your Sachin Vs Inzamam thread has traveled long and reach somewhere here where it has not been able to complete two pages even.

Last edited:
So Tendulkar making scores in games that India lose makes him a selfish player ? Could it not be that the rest of the team failed to perform around him, or that the bowlers had a bad day at the office. Your point is completely factuous and makes no sense.
The rest of the team did perform in those matches, its just that Sachin played quite slowly for whatever reason.

And vaiby, I have already mentioned that above :)

And I have already given Sachin due credit for the above, please stop repeating stuff and framing me for without even reading my posts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so let me end the topic ''Sachin can't perform under pressure'' with some stats.

Sachin's overall average: 44.33

Sachin's average in the matches India have won:57.43
Now If you analyse this winning average then,
won batting first: 57.64
won fielding first: 57.21

Congratulations honey, please prove it in test match cricket.

Sachin's average in,
World Cup: 57.93
Asia Cup: 49.93
ICC Champions Trophy:39.36

Sachin doesn't perform in Finals,ha?
tournament finals: 52.96

Plus Sachin is the only cricketer who has scored 1000+ runs in 7 calender years and that is enough to prove his consistency.
Sachin has scored 100 against every test playing countries except England(where He was given out by bad decision on 99)in the matches that India have won.

Link for all stats that are mentioned above.

Sachin Tendulkar has average of 40 in South Africa which is the highest average for any non South African batsman.

Now If check his average when India have lost 32.58.

Owned.

Honey, I never asked you to give these statistics. Sachin is a better batsman in ODIs, but in test cricket, which is the real form (and the part of the game that takes more out of a player) Sachin tends to... uh whats the word? Choke.

Simple as that - Sachin is a great ODI batsman, possibly the best to play the game. But this thread comprises of tests and ODIs, and when you look at that, then because of those instances I named he might fall behind Ponting.

Those instances I named are of Tendulkar playing slowly for himself or whatever reason when his team required him to push on - something he could not do for whatever reason that you guys wish to make up.

Please show me where Tendulkar is better than Ponting in test match cricket, and watch how I slaughter you.

Also regarding your posts on the other forums - thats not a real discussion, that was just a bunch of flaming. How are we suppoused to get a conclusion from that? Besides, I believe by talking about this Tendulkar v Inzamam stuff (once again, you've decided to bring it up by bringing those threads in) I think you're suppoused to be infracted :p

You said in the post number 102 that Sachin is not a team player and that is why I raised up these stats.
I am reading your post very well but seems to me you don't read your post twice.You have brought up Sachin's 50 in ODI first and then I started to write about his averages.

Last edited by a moderator:
How does it make them 1-1? I fail to see the logic, because test cricket is more difficult and takes more energy out of a character than ODIs. It just seems to me you are a "modern day Indian fan" who is interested in T20s and ODIs only, which is the basis of your logic.

How? Test is ONE format. ODI is ONE format. Ponting is great in tests. Sachin is a legend in ODIs. So that makes them 1-1. Brett Lee or Mcgrath did not bowl only in tests or ODIs. SO if you are facing world class bowlers and still scoring runs (over 25000 of them in Sachin's case) the format does'nt matter.

Even if Ponting is better in test cricket, Sachin is better in ODIs. So I guess that makes it 1-1. They are both great.:)

Can't agree with that logic mate. You just can't compare One day cricket to test cricket. Test cricket is the real deal. I agree that they are both great players and its very hard to split them. Personally I reckon Punter is better but Im biased. ;)

Actually, if you take out statistics from the non-playing nations and Bangladesh & Zimbabwe then Ponting has a higher average in ODI cricket then Tendulkar.

I understand someone wanting to compare them merely in Test cricket; but suggesting that a comparison in ODI cricket is moot because it is 'easier' (what does that even mean?) is ludicrous.
ODI cricket is much easier then Test Cricket though.

Nowadays in ODI cricket, players can edge the ball and it'll go to the boundry whilst if you do that in Test Cricket then you'll most likely get caught.

It's not a true testament of how good a player actually is.

Can you please stay ontopic everyone. While you can certainly cite Tendulkar as another batsman who is good or not as good as Ponting, don't turn it into another Tendulkar only debate.

We are willing to discuss different things. A certain poster who likes to multi-quote (might be anyone) does'nt want to.

Ponting's style in ODI's is class.Ponting's shots are much more effective than anyone elses

Ponting is not the greatest batsman of the modern era and its not Sachin either. I will go with Michael Hussey closely followed by Sangakkara. Sangakarra because he also has a test average close to 80 after he stopped being a keeper in test cricket(Source: Ten Sports when watching the Ind-SL test series) and Hussey is just pure class.

co-signed that.

It depends on the field placements of the captain mate.
So? Most captains keep slips in place for Tendulkar because thats the best chance to get him out at the beginning of a first innings (when there's no pressure ;))

But once Tendulkar's past 30 or so, there's no slips. Edge, 4 runs.

Test cricket, the slips are almost always there, unless a batsman like Afridi or Sehwag is around.

Therefore the point test cricket is more difficult than ODIs, and tests are the real deal.

No really, Dean did ask to get it back on topic. Take a deep breath. Drink some tea. Let that tangent go.

Shub, if you would like to start a Sachin / Ponting in ODI debate, I suggest you provide some stats. Ponting is good at ODI's but only one man can be god.

ODI statistics if you deduct their matches against minnow sides.

Code:
Ricky Ponting		9746 runs	42.74	80.73	23 hundreds
Sachin Tendulkar	13637 runs	42.35	84.16	32 hundreds

Shame Ponting went through such a long slump in ODI cricket this year, because his average would've been allot higher at the start of the year.

Users who are viewing this thread