Most under-rated cricketers

Out of these,whom do you think is most under-rated?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Anyone got any non-international playing ideas? People who at a domestic level have done enough for International recognition but are ignored/underrated?

Can't think of anyone but Jos Buttler. Really do not know what more he needs to do in order to get into the England ODI side. Plus, he's an excellent player of spin bowling, which leaves me further baffled.

i don't know why people are saying that Kallis or Dravid is under-rated.
These guys are not over-hyped like other. They are not stylish or (they don't showcase) like some other batsman in their team. (Sachin, Laxman, De Villers, Gibbs)

Opposition bowler take them as their biggest threat. Shane Warne once said that you need to fire 10-15 balls at once to have any chance to beat Dravid when he is in good touch.

----------

Weirdly, in the UK I'd actually say Dravid is given the respect he deserves. It seems it's in his own country that people criminally overlook him.

Yeah Kallis is one of the greatest all-rounders to ever play the game. He is a modern day Sobers. Superb batsmen, excellent slip fielder and useful bowler. Yet, for some reason, he is often ignored in terms of World XI's etc Essentially he is underrated, but only by idiots :p

In England, clearly Trott is underated, as regardless of how many runs he scores, people still seem to clamour to drop him.

Anyone got any non-international playing ideas? People who at a domestic level have done enough for International recognition but are ignored/underrated?

Badrinath is the under-rated guy. He has scored as many runs as anyone at an avg of 62 in FC. He just got (3 innings) in Test Matches and then he was not even consider in future.
Even in IPL, he is the guy Who saves CSk whenever they are in trouble.

Brad Hodge, i think was another one.

i don't know why people are saying that Kallis or Dravid is under-rated.
These guys are not over-hyped like other. They are not stylish or (they don't showcase) like some other batsman in their team. (Sachin, Laxman, De Villers, Gibbs)

Opposition bowler take them as their biggest threat. Shane Warne once said that you need to fire 10-15 balls at once to have any chance to beat Dravid when he is in good touch.

Kallis is very stylish thank you, he just doesn't score as quickly as people would like him to. I think he's underrated because he's not regarded as the best player of his era which he almost certainly is. He's virtually as good a batsman as all the legends: Tendulkar, Lara, Ponting etc. AND he can bowl very well. The fact he's not more lauded makes him underrated - just my opinion.

And suggesting Zaheer is underrated is a tad optimistic. All I've been hearing for the last few months is how if Zaheer is fit, India will win in Australia. Having your success hinge on one man does not make him an underrated player.

I think Ian Bell's still my pick for underrated - he's terribly stylish and he's been scoring stacks of runs lately. Yet I never hear him in the world's best batsmen chatterings. Graeme Smith also seems to never get his dues as an opener with a very good record.

Anil Kumble was always underrated for me. He was even sidelined for Harbhajan Singh when he first came on... for shame.

I would probably say Brett Lee, I don't think he ever got the kind of recognition he deserved in test cricket. Over 300 test wickets bowling at that kind of pace is pretty special.

Anil Kumble was always underrated for me. He was even sidelined for Harbhajan Singh when he first came on... for shame.

Indeed. It is no surprise that Kumble and Dravid are two of my favourite cricketers of the last two decades. As a bowler myself, Kumble's ability to think batsmen out was extraordinary.

Rahul Dravid, Jacques Kallis, Shaun Pollock, Justin Langer, Chaminda Vaas, Jonathan Trott, Brendan Taylor are a few off the top of my head.

Kallis is without the doubt the most under-appreciated ATG player.

I would probably say Brett Lee, I don't think he ever got the kind of recognition he deserved in test cricket. Over 300 test wickets bowling at that kind of pace is pretty special.

+1

His strike rate was better than lots of ATG players. Its just that high economy rate that really put a dent in his average.

1) Rahul Dravid
1.5) VVS Laxman
2) Manish Pandey
3) Stuart Broad (+)
4) Ravichandran Ashwin (+)
5) Virat Kohli (-)

(-) As a captain
(+) As a batsman

Manish Pandey never got an Indian call up, although he remained as top scorer of Ranji Trophy 2010. Injured Rohit Sharma made into the team, which he didn't recover in time, which meant that India played Wriddiman Saha as a batsman.

Rahul Dravid started his career in 1996 where as Sachin Tendulkar started it in 1989. Rahul Dravid is just 2000 odd runs behind Tendulkar. Sachin Tendulkar and Saurav Ganguly have always been dominant people on the screens- although RD was not dropped from the team due to his under-rated-ness, he deserves bit more of rating in people.

VVS Laxman is another guy, who faced the same problem like how RD faced, a bit low popularity, but optimum talent to have high populatiry. But the way media boast him up when he performs against Aussies has made him gain bit of rating among the people, unlike Rahul Dravid, who always remains consistent even in this issue.

----------

Virat Kohli as a captain is also under rated. Always Suresh Raina gets a chance to lead the team, even after Kohli has made his spot permanent in team India, which was the reason of him not awarding captaincy.
He has proved what he can do first in Under19 WC 2008, Deodhar Trophy 2009-10 and 2010-11, IPL 2011 (2/3 matches he has got, won, with one being blown away by Gilchrist at Dharamsala and remember, we were without our front line spinner Vettori when he was leading).

Virat Kohli as a captain is also under rated. Always Suresh Raina gets a chance to lead the team, even after Kohli has made his spot permanent in team India, which was the reason of him not awarding captaincy.
He has proved what he can do first in Under19 WC 2008, Deodhar Trophy 2009-10 and 2010-11, IPL 2011 (2/3 matches he has got, won, with one being blown away by Gilchrist at Dharamsala and remember, we were without our front line spinner Vettori when he was leading).

Kohli is future Indian Captain but right now not ready. Did you see his reaction in last match after getting out. :facepalm

Users who are viewing this thread