Muslims Allowed Girlfriends?

Are Muslims Allowed Girlfreinds?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You made that very apparent.

Yes, philosphy is good in some sense. But not in a scientific arguement. I never said one can't be a "good" philosopher and a scientist. However, what defines "good" philosphy. It's all very subjective.

You're pretty damn smart for 17-18 (which I'm pretty sure your age is).

I do not highly buy into the thinking that the mind's actions are completely controlled by the brain. For example, how are people so unique if we all rely on the same mechanism for work. How can something have the power to comprehend its own existance. The whole idea of Homo Sapiens Sapiens appearing at all by nature seems highly dubious to me.

We are all unique because we all have different genetic structures, which are immensely complex, the most complex thing in our body. Makes us who we are.

And we did not just appear, you mis-understand the theory of Evolution if you think we appeared one day.

And we did not just appear, you mis-understand the theory of Evolution if you think we appeared one day.

I completely understand evolution (did a talk on it once where I did an incredible amount of research). I don't think that we appeared one day, but the word adds effect to the point I was trying to make. I am fully aware of random mutations, natural selection and all that malarky (not discrediting the theory with that word).

We are all unique because we all have different genetic structures, which are immensely complex, the most complex thing in our body. Makes us who we are.

But how can genetic structures make one person prefer rock music over hip hop music, or vice versa. Perhaps such a trait has been identified, I just think that, if it hasn't, it is unlikely that there is one.

Last edited:
Music is environment not nature. If you grow up and your parents listen to The Who everyday, there's a damn big chance you will when you grow up. Music isn't inherited, it's influence.

Music is environment not nature. If you grow up and your parents listen to The Who everyday, there's a damn big chance you will when you grow up. Music isn't inherited, it's influence.

It is highly influence, but it cannot be argued that there isn't a smidgen of other factors whether they be genetic, or part of an intangible soul.

The discussion is endless really. Once again, neither point can be proved to the fullest extent.

whitehornmatt said:
By accepting the word of a religion you are doing so to have an answer to every question, but over time scientific evidence has proven many of the things said in religious texts to be wrong. As such I think it is inevitable that questions currently unanswered will slowly continue to be answered, though some will possibly remain unanswered and conveniently they all concern the beginning of the universe, I think trying to answer that is like counting to infinity, impossible. Religion attempts to make a beginning and an end to this, God and an apocalypse respectively and bases this on human existence.
As far as I know, Judaism, which is a hell of a lot older than Christianity, has no sense of an apocalypse. Judaism is at the stage that when the Messiah comes, everyone will live in peace and all of our problems will be sorted out. It's getting him to come that's the tricky bit. As far as an apocalypse goes, I think that's mostly Christianity, but I don't know too much about other religions beyond those two.

whitehornmatt said:
My personal belief is that the result of death is something anyone who has been under general anaesthetic will know about, you fall asleep and then there is nothing, though with anaesthetic you wake up, with death you do not. That is the only difference. Science can't answer this, no one can die and then wake up again to tell the story, if someone is pronounced dead and then they wake up again, they were never dead. Nor can religion answer this, their answer is just one that is a glimmer of hope to provide a means of answering the complex questions such as the meaning of life and to provide acceptance of death (people who believe in reincarnation moreso, why worry about death when you become someone/thing else anyway?). The fact is that if you believe that there is an afterlife and there isn't, there is no effect on you, so you are more willing to take that risk than to believe that there isn't an afterlife and to be proven wrong.
This pretty much sums up the reason that it annoys me that so many people want to prove others wrong on this debate. This is why it should not matter to others what your beliefs are.

I know that one of the problems atheists have with religious types are the extremists, such as the suicide bombers, or the ones who hate blacks or gays, but I think that there are a lot of people who underestimate just how good religion is for this world. First of all, most religions are based on decent principles, that are twisted by some people in order to defend their actions. The other point is that as you said, it helps a lot of people cope with life. If everyone in the world was atheistic, I highly doubt (and have read a study on it too) that terrorism would suddenly halt. In the study I read, it showed that there are a lot of people who claim religion as their reason for their terrorist actions under false pretences.

If religion were to suddenly be disproved, it would not stop wars, it would not stop terrorism, nor would it stop hate. On the other hand, if it were to be openly embraced by the population of the Earth in its actual intentions (which are mostly peaceful), things may be a lot better.

It's not genetic! Your taste in music is influence and nothing more.
It may not be genetic, but it is chemical. You listen to music and your brain decides whether you like it or not. You don't just form opinions based on others' knowledge.

Last edited:
Well that wouldn't really be genetic, how would they gain the taste from their predecessors?

My parents listen to old music. I hear it a lot. It doesn't influence me. I listen to English music. It's influence from the people you spend more time around. I spend more time around my friends. Say, they say you should listen to a certain song. Word spreads.

You don't have to listen to listen to death metal if you're a goth. You feel you have to if you want to be one.

Sometimes, it's just to fit in. However, it does come down to personal taste in the end.

How did people prefer certain kinds of music at the inception of modern music then?

Modern music has gradually 'evolved', all the 'new' types didn't just erupt out of nowhere. R'n'B has roots in Soul, Soul has its roots in the gospel churches. Genes control alot of lot we do, but music is environment. I'd also say that music can depend alot on lifestyle, if you live a sedate lifestyle you aren't going to listen to Black Sabbath. If you go out clubbing every weekend you'll like drum'n'bass, etc.

From Muslims to music.....anyway back to the point, didn't someone make it clear you can have a girlfriend as long as its not a sexual relationship?

Now my question is what does 'sexual relationship' count as, actual sex or other things aswell?

didn't someone make it clear you can have a girlfriend as long as its not a sexual relationship?
Nope. I don't think anyone made that clear. According to the Quran, it's pretty clear that Muslims are not allowed to have girlfriends.

Nope. I don't think anyone made that clear. According to the Quran, it's pretty clear that Muslims are not allowed to have girlfriends.
Spot on! Thats what I have been looking for. Thats the absolutely correct thing. Muslims are not allowed to have girlfriends at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread