My Batting Advice

Doesn't that require pretty immense reaction time?
I keep my thumbs on top of the analog stick now, rather than keeping it at an angle and I'm able to play back or forward slightly better now.

Of course, with fast bowlers, it's still hard to judge length so quick. But basically front foot is safer to play because you can miss the short deliveries, but playing back to full pitched deliveries can get you bowled or LBW.

Best place for a career batsman is at No. 5, I think. You can come in to bat when the medium pacers and spinners are on and also the faster bowlers won't be bowling fast so frequently.

Another thing that seems to have improved my batting is using the near batsman camera with transparent batsman...

Last edited:
Posted this in the career thread but though some might find it useful here too.

Started my second season in career mode last night after averaging about 14 in my first season in first class games.

I had managed three 20-20 half-centuries in my my first season but that was as good as it got.

I decided to make a few changes to my batting style and it's worked a treat.

In my first 4-day game last night and I manged 51 in my first innings and 120 in my second!

Although it might be too early to know if my changes have made a direct impact it does seem strange to go from nearly always being out for under 20, to posting two good scores.

So my tips are:

1) Patience - I never used the aggressive shot button once. The amount of times I've been caught at mid-on trying to clear his head has too often been my downfall so I've taken it out of my game.

2) Play straight - After milking runs down to fine leg, I was often getting caught down there if I miss-timed a shot. After not playing anything down there for 10 overs it soon became a vacant area where I easily milked 10-15 runs before the fine-leg was re-introduced.

3) Use the aggressive ground shot - After rarely using this through my first season (not sure why) I found this an excellent way of scoring runs safely. Often I was hitting the ball that hard into the ground it was bouncing over the heads of mid-on and mid-off. I would guess 70% of my runs came in ones and twos playing this shot out to the cover, long-off and long-on fielders.

4) Block the first three balls of an over - nearly always ended up with the AI sticking in a short-leg or silly, and thus creating a gap in the outfield.

5) Spin - Lots of blocking here. Can be tough to score against. Wait for the slightly wide ball and play reverse sweeps if no point is in position. Probably the safest shot I've found (apart from block) for playing spin.

6) Patience - yes this again! So tempting when you get to 70odd and you feel you could cream the ball for 6. Don't try it. If anything, I found it harder to score the longer I was in bat because the bowlers pace dropped and you have fast bowlers bowling short at 68mph. Keep your eye on the speed gun and wait that extra second before executing a (ground) shot.

Good luck.

Doesn't that require pretty immense reaction time?

Yes, But I was surprised because I was playing shots naturally and connecting.
You may be surprised too because the thumbs will move quick as they've nowhere else to go but flick the sticks.

You still have to feel the pace (fast vs spin) but I am playing pacers and spinners easier now...

Another tip that may help, after a bit of an initial struggle with the quicks I made a career as an opening batsman. It was tough at first but now the pace doesn't really worry me at all. It's really taught me how to play them we'll.

I will embark a new career as a all rounder now I,ve sorted the batting.

Another tip that may help, after a bit of an initial struggle with the quicks I made a career as an opening batsman. It was tough at first but now the pace doesn't really worry me at all. It's really taught me how to play them we'll.

I will embark a new career as a all rounder now I,ve sorted the batting.

Which CAM do you use while batting?

OK I'm now convinced that the AI is cheating on batting. For no reason, you hit balls in the air to midwicket when you want to play to mid on.

For no reason, the AI decides that you play down the wrong line by making a stupid movement away from the line of the ball. If you're lucky the ball misses the stumps.

For no apparent reason, you play a straight bat shot and you get edges or hit down the bowler's throat. Straight bat should not be penalized so much in this game.

For no apparent reason, your "normal" flick or drive shot is timed too perfectly that it ends up in the hands of the deep fielder.

For no apparent reason, the power shot modifier is sometimes completely ignored by the game.

And fielders run a long way to catch you out while the ball hangs in the air seemingly forever.

DRS is useless. Umpire is always right. I've never had one overturned decision, ever.

Even when you do the correct movement with the analog stick, the batsman seems to have a mind of his own when playing certain shots.

You never build up skills for back foot or off-side shots while always building up skill for straight shot (even when you don't hit it straight), front foot and on-side.

And I've not even started on the frustrating stumpings and run outs because your batsman apparently drags his feet outside the crease playing a normal shot and doesn't bother to get back while the wicket keeper or bowler throws down the stumps..

Damn. I am beginning to hate this game with a passion now. Your "skill" is apparently only the AI's grace in not getting you out while scoring runs. Otherwise, any ball is an easy way to get out playing a perfectly normal shot. The game fools you into thinking that you've mastered batting when you score runs, apparently when the AI decides that the ball didn't have to take a wicket.

I'm convinced that the developers decided that the batting controls are basically too easy and that there must be cheating ways to get the human player out, otherwise it would not be balanced.

Last edited:
I believe that the AI in this game is some kind of criminal mastermind... for me, there have been a few times where it's decided that Ive done well enough, so the bowling team magically gets five or six wickets in two overs while im at the non-strikers end helpless.

Just last night, xavier doherty took a hat-trick to finish a game while i was left stranded on 80-odd not out... gah!

I also dont think the controllers are responsive enough for how it needs to be... mainly when bowling, you feel like you're controlling a tank trying to get back behind those stumps...

I will say at least the old ashes/ICC2010 had the old fielding radar and cone so you could at least see where you were going to hit it if you hit it right... in this game you can literally hit the same shot twice with the same timing and have it go the right way one ball, then randomly to the nearest fielder the next time...

OK I'm now convinced that the AI is cheating on batting. For no reason, you hit balls in the air to midwicket when you want to play to mid on.

For no reason, the AI decides that you play down the wrong line by making a stupid movement away from the line of the ball. If you're lucky the ball misses the stumps.

For no apparent reason, you play a straight bat shot and you get edges or hit down the bowler's throat. Straight bat should not be penalized so much in this game.

For no apparent reason, your "normal" flick or drive shot is timed too perfectly that it ends up in the hands of the deep fielder.

For no apparent reason, the power shot modifier is sometimes completely ignored by the game.

And fielders run a long way to catch you out while the ball hangs in the air seemingly forever.

DRS is useless. Umpire is always right. I've never had one overturned decision, ever.

Even when you do the correct movement with the analog stick, the batsman seems to have a mind of his own when playing certain shots.

You never build up skills for back foot or off-side shots while always building up skill for straight shot (even when you don't hit it straight), front foot and on-side.

And I've not even started on the frustrating stumpings and run outs because your batsman apparently drags his feet outside the crease playing a normal shot and doesn't bother to get back while the wicket keeper or bowler throws down the stumps..

Damn. I am beginning to hate this game with a passion now. Your "skill" is apparently only the AI's grace in not getting you out while scoring runs. Otherwise, any ball is an easy way to get out playing a perfectly normal shot. The game fools you into thinking that you've mastered batting when you score runs, apparently when the AI decides that the ball didn't have to take a wicket.

I'm convinced that the developers decided that the batting controls are basically too easy and that there must be cheating ways to get the human player out, otherwise it would not be balanced.

lol I'm going to have to agree with you on most of your points above, except for the section in bold above - I doubt BA would be that sinister. I've experienced pretty much all of the stuff you've mentioned - my pet hate is the movement away from the ball, although i called it the 'leg glance' type shot, where your player will move about 1 foot to the right of the ball.

However, I'm hoping and expecting that BA have identified all of the above themselves and have or are in the process of fixing said problems.

I think I will give this no hud thing a try today in a feew casual matches. It might just be the thing to rid me off premeditation routine I am forced to follow. I am getting pretty good at premeditating kind of batting. My one day average is upto 27 now.

I'll add another unrealistic dismissal. LBW when the medium pacer bowls halfway down the pitch at an incredibly slow pace that the ball hits the top of my pads and the ball is actually on its way down and so it is hitting the stumps. I DRSed the decision convinced that the ball was over the top, and as usual DRS favoured the umpire's decision.

Another unrealistic dismissal: ball hitting the pads and going on to the stumps far too often. It doesn't happen all that often in real life.

I am very, very annoyed with the game right now. There is no "skill" to develop except play the right shots to the line and length of the ball and hope...

One of the reasons I'm convinced that it is flawed is because the concept of high risk/low risk type shots does not seem to exist in this game. You can get out playing basically any shot in this game without much feedback on what you did wrong, apparently with the same amount of risk involved, which is kind of stupid logic. Playing normal shots should not carry much risk, but that seems to be the case in this game when you can get caught in the deep playing a proper drive or flick and you are actually penalized for "timing" the ball well. Placement also seems iffy because randomly the balls you hit in front of the wicket actually go behind the wicket even when you time it properly.

Last edited:
I'll add another unrealistic dismissal. LBW when the medium pacer bowls halfway down the pitch at an incredibly slow pace that the ball hits the top of my pads and the ball is actually on its way down and so it is hitting the stumps. I DRSed the decision convinced that the ball was over the top, and as usual DRS favoured the umpire's decision.

Another unrealistic dismissal: ball hitting the pads and going on to the stumps far too often. It doesn't happen all that often in real life.

I am very, very annoyed with the game right now. There is no "skill" to develop except play the right shots to the line and length of the ball and hope...

One of the reasons I'm convinced that it is flawed is because the concept of high risk/low risk type shots does not seem to exist in this game. You can get out playing basically any shot in this game without much feedback on what you did wrong, apparently with the same amount of risk involved, which is kind of stupid logic. Playing normal shots should not carry much risk, but that seems to be the case in this game when you can get caught in the deep playing a proper drive or flick and you are actually penalized for "timing" the ball well. Placement also seems iffy because randomly the balls you hit in front of the wicket actually go behind the wicket even when you time it properly.

There isn't a good timing or bad timing. Ross said late and early timing isn't bad. Also you are exagurating this is the first iteration for heavens sake! How is there no skill involved? Maybe you're just terrible at the game? I've seen people report having averages of 30+ after one season so it's impossible that the ai took 'pity' on them the whole season.

There isn't a good timing or bad timing. Ross said late and early timing isn't bad. Also you are exagurating this is the first iteration for heavens sake! How is there no skill involved? Maybe you're just terrible at the game? I've seen people report having averages of 30+ after one season so it's impossible that the ai took 'pity' on them the whole season.

I am not terrible at the game. I have managed to score runs, and get 30s and 40s, but it seems that the AI likes to get you out at any stage using stupid logic. Run outs when you cancel the run is just one part of it. Then the stupid played on dismissal. Edging straight deliveries when playing straight is another. The list goes on...

Players who've got a higher average have just found a work-around to the issues by not invoking the conditions that trigger them. The only skill involved is working around the bugginess. I am convinced that playing "normal" or realistic game is likely to give you pathetic averages.

How can you question the skill of the player when there are many fundamental issues that I've mentioned.

I am not terrible at the game. I have managed to score runs, and get 30s and 40s, but it seems that the AI likes to get you out at any stage using stupid logic. Run outs when you cancel the run is just one part of it. Then the stupid played on dismissal. Edging straight deliveries when playing straight is another. The list goes on...

Players who've got a higher average have just found a work-around to the issues by not invoking the conditions that trigger them. The only skill involved is working around the bugginess. I am convinced that playing "normal" or realistic game is likely to give you pathetic averages.

How can you question the skill of the player when there are many fundamental issues that I've mentioned.

Okay sorry you're right. You should be incharge of this game. I'm not arguing with irrational people anymore...

Users who are viewing this thread