New Zealand Domestic Season

20 20 Final

20 20 Final between Northern Districts and Central.

Vettori is out injured. WE NEED HIM! ARGH!

Expecting fireworks.

Central Districts got home after winnin the toss, fielding and then chasing down 148.

Scorecard:
http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/newzealanddomestic/engine/match/305043.html

No real stars.

As the State hield resumes, Canterbury just got home in the last over chasing 313 set by Northern. Strauss made a 7 ball duck edging Burtt. Shane Bond is back in good nick taking 1 for 35 in a high scoring game off his 10 overs.

Daniel Flynn smashed 149 off 141 balls including 6 sixes and James Marshall belted 96 from 77 balls but it wasn't enough for Canterbury. Burtt finished with 3 for 51.

Canterbury scorers were 90 off 99 for Michael Papps and half centuries to Myburgh and Stewart. Chris Harris got them home bashing 39 off 25 including 3 sixes.

Stephen Fleming helped Wellington get to 247 by top scoring with 87 including 4 sixes and A McKay taking 4-41 kept them in check but it wasn't enough for Auckland who chased it down, mainly thanks to Vincent scoring 72 off 63 balls and Rob Nichol with 51. G Napier had a good game hitting 40 runs in the first innings and taking 4 for 42 but it wasn't enough to stop Auckland.

Otago have the 3rd game under control after posting a massive 321 runs in the first innings an look like defending it easily. Aaron Redmond was the main contributer with 134 off 141. Alex Gidman also scored a century off 103 balls. A quick fire 46 off 19 balls! by Neil Broom finished the innings off in style.

Central were at 252/7 after 47.3 overs and don't have a show of winning. Greg Hay and Ewan Thompson scored half centuries in this innings.

Last edited:
Canterbury Wizards and Otago Volts made the semi-final of the State Shield 50over competition. The winner will play Auckland in the final.

I predict Canterbury to make the final, but I can't see them being good enough to overpower Auckland.

Semi-Final takes place Sunday (24th Feb) with the final on the following Sunday (March 2nd)

Whoever will make for final from Canterbury Wizards and Otago Volts.Auckland is just too good for both of them..

I'm amazed we (Otago) made it to the semi final. I'd love to see the match but no! Once again, Sky Sport NZ decides to **** on us again. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like there will be no coverage of the semi final anywhere. This is disgusting. Sky Sport NZ should have all the cricketing rights taken off them, or at least sack their programming director. Six domestic games televised this season is nowhere near enough. Cricket is our top summer game, we should be seeing as many domestic games as possible, at least the semi final! And they never show us the championship (4 day) matches.

Then there's the news media. They will ONLY tell us anything about the domestic competition IF the match is on TV. And yet they fill sports news with 20 minutes of useless reports about one of our rugby teams training for their next match. This problem only exists within the television news media. Radio coverage is great, there's always plenty of information on news reports & Radio Sport always have coverage of all the domestic games. If only that could reflect on television media.

This has been yet another rant from a disgruntled NZ cricket fan, José Pedro.

Anyway, my thoughts on the match, probably gonna go Canterbury's way. Although it is rumoured that McCullum will make an appearance for Otago. It would be nice to see Otago in the final again but I just don't think we have the same form as we did at the start of the State Shield. I'll be listening closely on Radio Sport.

McCullum vs Shane Bond. Will be a good battle i'm sure. I'm gutted I can't make it to the game today.

I agree that it should be on TV. I remember years back the old Shell Cup used to have heaps of TV coverage. Probably with all this rugby on the weekend, Sky can't be in too many places at once. The crew are already down here for yesterday's ODI though. They only have to move across town. Pretty poor indeed.

Otago won thanks to a great 108* by Brendon McCullum who carried his bat.

Helped by Gidman with 80 odd and a nice burst from Neil Broom at the end.

Wow, nice job by Otago. Would've been a great match to watch. Now it's the same teams as last year's final. Hopefully Otago can finish it off this time for their first state shield title (I think) since the 80s.

Wow, Otago absolutely smoked Auckland. Brendon McCullum is to thank, he basically did it all himself. As with the semi-final. He has to be the most dangerous batsman in the world, he's growing to be scarily consistent.

Auckland put up 310/7 with 110 to Martin Guptill, 76 to Richard Jones and 68 off 60 for Styris but unfortonately for them, McCullum played one of the most destructive innings i've ever heard about in NZ domestic cricket. 170 runs off 108 balls including 19 fours and 7 sixes. That's against a pretty decent bowling attack boasting Kyle Mills, Chris Martin, Paul Hitchcock and Scott Styris. e was backed up by Cumming with 86*

It only took Otago 42 overs. That's pretty damned impressive stuff. What a player.

Id like to know how Corey Anderson (I think) goes in the domestic comp, he looks solid. Also Southee as well

Southee has been great for Northern Districts. Anderson has played a few good innings here and there and gotten the odd wicket, but nothing amazing yet.

Still to come is the second half of the State Championship. I'll keep it updated.

Oh what a great moment for Otago cricket! Our first title in 20 years! And what a way to do it. So glad McCullum has come back to stay at Otago :happy

State Championship Final between Wellington and Canterbury is looking like it's going to go the way of Canterbury.

Funny that a side with 1 player in the squad to play in England and 0 who played in the previous home test series vs England could win huh! Seems to be some pretty strange selection.

Canterbury 1st Innings: 215 (MHW Papps 46, IE O'Brien 5-70)
Wellington 1st Innings: 188 (G Elliot 52, HK Bennett 7-50)
Canterbury 2nd Innings: 221/8dec (SL Stewart 84*, MR Gillespie 6-42)
Wellington 2nd Innings: 14/4 (MPF Davidson 4-1)

Pretty damn good captaincy/strategy to declare and pick up 4 wickets with only half an hour odd left in the day. Puts Canterbury right in with a chance with a whole day to go. (Please let it not rain, Canterbury need to win outright to win, in event of a draw it goes to Wellington as they are top of the table)

John Wright first choice replacement for Bracewell

CHRISTCHURCH: Former India coach John Wright has been touted as the first choice to replace John Bracewell as New Zealand coach after the New Zealand Cricket Board openly invited the former Kiwi batsman to take the reins of the senior side.

With Bracewell's contract with the NZC expiring in April next year, Board's Chief Executive Justin Vaughan said if Wright was ready to return to the international arena, he was most welcome.

full article : http://cricket.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/3246602.cms

Domestic season kicks off Monday with Canterbury vs Auckland. I updated the first post with some information.

While looking over it all, it reminded me how absurd it is that the side who won the State Championship (Canterbury) has only 1 NZ contracted player: Fulton and he doesn't even make the test side. Hopefully this year guys like Shannon Stewart, Michael Papps, Todd Astle, Brendon Hiinii, Johann Myburgh (if he's eligible yet) can get chances to make the national side

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread