New Zealand in Australia Nov-Dec 2008 Feb 2009

Not sure about the decision having Fergo at 6. I would have liked to see him come in at 4. Clarkey is doing well in the opening spot which he failed to do the last few times he has opened.

Knew it should have got Ferguson in at 4, he has the form whereas Dussey like Warner is not playing his natural game. If hes in the side he should be at 7 where he only has to attack not build an inns. Clarke is now getting back into the grove hopefully he goes on to get the 1st 100 of the ODI season.

It would only be Clarkes 4th ODI Hundred if he does get it. He has 30 fifties and 3 hundred atm. But I bet at least 10 of those 50's were not out. Happy to be proven wrong if anyone can be bothered to check the stats :p I'll take a punt and say 17 of those 30 fifties were not out.

I suppose it's a small mercy that the MCG has often enough been quick this season, but the pitch does seem to lose its pace very quickly. There was early pace and bounce for the domestic match on Wednesday and in the five days between the T20I and the last ODI at Melbourne, it also seemed to drop a lot.

However, on days like today, any lack of pace is very noticeable. The MCG is large right way around and the cricket quickly gets dull when both the batsmen and the bowlers struggle to make anything happen.

Nice shot Clarkey. Great to see him back on form in the One Day arena. It's also extremely satisfying to see another Pup and Huss partnership. Good to see these two finding some form. When I originally saw that Clarke was opening I was very disappointed, but it seemed to have worked out for him on a personal note as he has had time to build an innings, but it's yet to be seen if it has helped the team. His slowish scoring rate has found us scoring pretty slow, and we will just have to wait to see if he can do some big hitting and improve his strike rate and the teams run-rate.

It will be an interesting finish if we only lose 1 or 2 wickets before the 40th over. Hopefully Huss and Clarke can bat until then though and go haywire. If these two are still in in the 35th over I would take the batting powerplay.

Feelin Blue? added 17 Minutes and 19 Seconds later...

Good captaincy by Clarke taking the powerplay with the harder ball. The first over of it wasn't bad - 7 runs off it but it should have been more with 3 full tosses in the over.

Who's that commentator that is commentating with Healy and Gilly? It's really annoying me because I don't know who it is lol. Is it Blewett?

Pup again doing well as opener wonder if we should leave him there. We then need a guy that will try and smash the attack early as that will put bowlers off their line and length not what we saw today.

Hussey also back into form, another 50 from Mr Cricket.

Solid powerplay, they were only getting about 16 runs per 5 overs, so 33 for no wicket is very much a bankroll of the situation and they've gotten the run rate up to 4 an over.

Pup again doing well as opener wonder if we should leave him there. We then need a guy that will try and smash the attack early as that will put bowlers off their line and length not what we saw today.

Hussey also back into form, another 50 from Mr Cricket.

If we have a guy that can hammer the bowling early in the powerplay overs and put the bowlers off their line and length then Clarke should definitely stay up the top. If the bowlers are all over the place then Clarke could easily score at 100+

Really slow going atm. 10 runs in 2/3 overs? We needed to score 80 off this last 10, looks more like 50 or 60 at most in the last 8 overs. Hopefully we can get about 230 although I feel that might be 10-15 runs short.

This just isn't good enough. Wickets in the shed and they look content just to knock the ball around for singles and 2's. We need more than that.

Geez I'm not confident with whatever we get from here as if McCullum gets going it's game over.

Still very slow going, very surprised Hussey hasn't done better as hes usually so good at placing those 4s. We have stuffed up by not playing a spinner though as NZ have shown they are very effective.

Seriously, Clarke has to learn to play aggressively. He's played a good innings, but too many dot balls for me. A license to play free shots with a lot of wickets in hand, and he's not doing anything besides the 1/2. NZ have bowled so well.

Good knock from Hussey comes to an end, was expecting him to hit the boundary a bit more in the later overs. Clarke a few years ago use to move around the crease late in the inns but he seems to have stopped doing that.

Sad to see him fall 2 short, glad someone else will come to the crease. Good innings, but might not be enough.

Users who are viewing this thread