New Zealand in Australia Nov-Dec 2008 Feb 2009

Hopes will never be anything more than a competent batsman. You need quality in the top order above all else.

The ship has sailed for trying Hopes as opener. If we were going to do it either the 1st game of the summer of the previous match was the time to do it. But now is not the time, we just had our best opening partnership since Gilly and Hayden, our first 100 of the summer via Haddin and Clarke's best two scores in ODI cricket in quite sometime.

Heard on radio today that haddin had been pestering ponting an clarke to give him a go higher up the order all summer.

So he definatly wanted the opening role an wants to keep it but he was just being politically correct on tv an saying nah hes happy down the order an wont mind going back there, so that people dont think bad of him for taking warners spot an forcing him out of the team.

I'm thinking MOTM is a little biased. Haddin did score a ground-breaking century but Elliot took two key wickets of Clarke and Ponting, bowled very economically, bowled under pressure when Patel was taking a beating, almost took them to victory with his batting, batted over 3 hours (30 minutes more than Haddin) while there was a collapse and scored about 75 more runs than anyone else in the team.

I think in the context of the game, there has to be more consideration. Haddin did score that century but Clarke also played very well and so to Hussey. While Elliot was the clear standout. Haddin didn't really bat under too much pressure while Elliot had quite a bit.

Should be a big game nonetheless tomorrow, for more reasons than just the batting.

Just had a listen to Haddin interview on ABC, said he enjoyed opening as much as he enjoyed finishing an inns. So he certainly won't say no if he is given the job full time now it's up to him to show what he can do after his good knock.

Elliot deserved MotM in the first game but Clarke got it for losing Australia the game. He wasn't on the winning side.

Then second game Elliot gets an extra 10 runs, played a more impressive innings and took 2 key wickets and didn't get it because Haddin was on the winning side?

Sounds biased, Who decides this crap? Elliot deserved at least one of them. I'm very disappointed for him.

Australia have brung Siddle into the squad. Strange! They're risking losing him for the SA series.

I like this I think. He's a good bowler but there's going to be a chance he's not 100% and a bit rusty. Could mean he goes around the park a bit. In saying that, we've never faced him so that will be in his favor.

Sounds biased, Who decides this crap? Elliot deserved at least one of them. I'm very disappointed for him.

The Channel 9 guys I think, they need to be consistent. Usually the winning side gets MOTM so Elliott should have got the previous one and Haddin then rightfully gets our last match.

On Siddle he had a good hit out match, took 3 wickets including 2 bowled so at least hes coming in on form.

They've been chasing too much that they don't exactly have a feel of the tempo they should be going at. 60 after 13 or so is usually considered a good start, a little behind the pace but wickets in hand and with Elliotts form, it'll be a good chase.

Users who are viewing this thread