New Zealand in Australia Nov-Dec 2008 Feb 2009

I can understand bad umpiring decisions, but when it's that plumb you have to wonder wtf they're thinking.

Hussey smacks $5000 into the bushfire funds while winning the match. It's great having him back to his best clearly the thing that we have missed during our losses this summer. Now just need Ponting back in form and our batting will be complete.

You're team is pretty average at present. You'll get drilled by SA again. I wouldn't get too excited if I was an australian fan.

Irrotev, you really are bitter and over-opinionated aren't you. From going way overboard with the Haddin thing, to constantly calling Murali a chucker after being proven wrong every time, and now to lambasting the umpires over an LBW decision where there were clearly 2 noises. There wasn't an inside edge, but there was doubt for the umpire due to the double noise, so it's completely understandable for him to get that decision wrong. It was only on replay that it looked plum.

Good win for Australia, the Hussey brothers played really well, and it was unfortunate that Dussey got out before leading them home. I also enjoyed how the commentators were talking about how Mussey was going to be playing for his average and not playing a big shot, and then bam, big six over mid on. Great way to finish the game, and I'm looking forward to the final game of the series. Just a shame that Australia are starting to look good again really :(

Hussey brothers on fire today. Mike is back playing like Mr.Cricket , inform Mike Hussey is so so so valuable for this team. Great to see Dave finally play like he has been playing for the Vics over the years. Would be nice if punter can get few runs now but the pieces of the puzzle slowly falling into the place for the Aussies. Players like Hussey/Clarke/Haddin finding some form, Lee/Watson ahead of schedule in recovery , Clark/Jaques playing in club cricket , Symo just smashed 130 odd in his last game and etc. Things starting to look good for us.

But the most important thing now is to win the series in Brissy. I think its only happened twice in ODI history (coming back from 0-2 down to win) , its just the kind of momentum we need. Its not gonna be easy , kiwis will fight tooth and nail but I think we are good enough to get the job done. Bit of extra pressure on kiwis after the last 2 games as well. All in all it will be a cracker of a match.

Over $6 million raised today for the Bushfire appeal. What a fantastic effort. Well done to everyone involved and a big thank you. :clap

Mr.Cricket added 3 Minutes and 57 Seconds later...

You're team is pretty average at present. You'll get drilled by SA again. I wouldn't get too excited if I was an australian fan.

Cmon cheer up mate. Whats with all the whinging about umpiring , Haddin and etc. End of the day its just a game. Look on the positive side , its 2-2 going in to Brisbane and I am sure it will be a ripper of a match.

Ps - Bill Lawry on that Ferguson LBW " Hes an int. umpire but hes still a South Australian , he wants to go home tonight" . LOL classic Bill Lawry that. :D

Bushy gotta admit you were right about white
wow he played superbly tonight.
only batted for 2 overs an smashed 24 runs
oh wait hang on a sec he was actually bowling an got smashed for 24 runs of 2 overs.
The guys a dud i wouldnt even have him in the victorian team.
In state games hes smart enough to only bowl when the other team is desperate for runs so have to take risks, so he picks up a few lucky wickets, if they smash him he quickly hides an gives the ball to someone else so it keeps his stats looking ok.
Also in this series hes had the chance to come in an build an innings, an hes also had the chance to come in with no pressure an smash it around.
Everytime hes failed he is a hack

About time the Kiwis were shown their real place.

I was really dissapointed with Kiwis bowlers in the last 13 overs. They threw the match away. Anyway a good win for Australia. They soon will be on the top.

LOL Dan, I am getting in my bomb shelter for when the ranting response comes ;)

Also screw you Australia, you lost me money. Never bloody trusting the Kiwi's again, a lesson learnt there.

I must say I have just noticed how class James Hopes bowling is, whenever I see him an ODI he always has a stupidly good economy rate.

Meh, I'm not too bothered. I know I'm right, as does he.

As for James Hopes, I've been impressed with him recently as well. He looks somewhat inconspicuous with his bowling, sort of a normal wicket to wicket medium pacer, but his figures have been very impressive. His record in his last 3 years in ODi's sits at:

38 matches, 245.0 overs, 19 Maidens, 36 wickets at an average of 27.11 with an economy of 3.98 and a best of 3/30.

They're very decent figures, especially considering he only bowled in 33 of those matches, meaning he's taken 36 wickets in 33 matches. An economy of under 4 in the modern era is stunning as well. He's a very handy guy to have in the team, and looks a far more impressive player than Shane Watson. Batting average of 20 isn't brilliant, but thats come at a strike rate of 87 (goes up to 90 when batting at 7), which is the most important thing for a guy batting down the order. Very good player Hopes, massively under-rated.

Yeah Hopes is very effective. He's a better 50 over bowler than 20, since the batsmen can't afford to take as many risks. I think at one stage in the IPL he was the bowler who was hit for the most 6s. But who cares? 20 over cricket doesn't mean much internationally.

Anyway, Hopes is the new Ian Harvey. Effective bowler, but no one trusts his batting enough to put him in the top 6 and even #7 might be a stretch. He's no Brad Haddin.

Actually thinking about it the current group of all-rounders resembles the group of 10 years ago.

*Shane Watson = Shane Lee (pretty fast bowlers for all-rounders, both don't move the ball much - Lee more a hitter, Watson more a grafter. But both solid looking batsmen. Also well built lads with blonde hair.)
*James Hopes = Ian Harvey (both batted at #8 a lot the team not trusting their ability in the top 7 and wanting longer batting lineups. Bowled 125-130kph with the keeper up a lot. Mixing slower balls in with line and length)
*Cameron White = Andrew Symonds (Played basically for their hitting ability and fielding. Symonds was always the man with potential, but it took him 5 or more years to finally make that hundred to prove he could play - will White need 5 years or does he get canned before that? Symonds was always a better bowler than White though, and a better batsman - what is White doing in the Aus team again?)
*Michael Clarke = Darren Lehmann (Bowling wise anyway. Both got virtually no spin, yet seem to have a knack to keeping the batsman quiet. Fielding ability is definitely NOT similar)
*Mitchell Johnson = Brendon Julian (Left armers who spray the ball a bit when bowling and guys who can hit the ball hard and long with the bat. Mitch is a much more dangerous bowler than BJ though)

I don't think we have a Tom Moody equivalent, but still I think all those comparisons are pretty close. Amazing really, maybe the selectors haven't changed much...

Last edited:
Watson was getting there before his injury. His bowling was starting to come along very nicely and he was bowling near 140km/h with better control.

I hope we can bat first next game would like to see if Haddin can get off to more of a flyer as still not use to us having a slow start.

About time the Kiwis were shown their real place.

All 4 games have been close. We eserve to be top4 ranked and there's nothing between the teams. The main difference is we're missing 3 key players (and so are Australia missing some) but ours are harder to replace as we're a much smaller pool of players. Can you seriously just piss off. You're one of the most ignorant members on this board and i'm tired of you continually trolling me.

I was really dissapointed with Kiwis bowlers in the last 13 overs. They threw the match away. Anyway a good win for Australia. They soon will be on the top.

A little, but that Cumming drop was a disgrace. We didn't have enough runs and we should have chased. They can't expect to win chasing every time or on every ground. Why not stick to the plan which already worked twice? They lost a closeish chase, big deal, try again next time. It wasn't a bad chase by any means. It would have matched the SA chase record if the bowlers weren't so messy.

It's just a game, it's been a good series. I'm just not happy with the standard of umpiring (understandably). I can understand some close ones here and there being wrong but the Broom thing was a disgrace and then all these plumb ones going against us. You say they got benefit of the doubt but where was the benefit for Taylor and McCullum when they were out to noises of the inside edge? The consistency isn't there. After being 2-0 up and now going on to lose 3-2 I think you should all understand why i'm frustrated. Any fans would be.

Last edited:
The NZ attack really misses Bond our current bowlers are good at keeping it tight and creating pressure which in turn can lead to wickets but when the total is not big enough bowling tight isn't enough. That is part of the reason why we like to chase better. Sadly I don't see anyone in domestic cricket right now which capable of doing the job he use to do...... maybe Gillespie once in every ten matches :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread