New Zealand in Australia Nov-Dec 2008 Feb 2009

Please, there's no need for snide remarks like that. Haddin is not that much of a cheat, it wasn't a big deal.

I said in the England in West Indies thread that I thought what happened in Brisbane today was a farce. The match should have been replayed tomorrow or Sunday. You can't let the last match be a washout when it is 2-2. That means Australia just walk away with a trophy that they were 30 odd balls away from losing.

Didn't call him a cheat. I called him a liar. Which in my opinion is worse.

Good point about it though. Instead of settling an ODI series we're playing a (somewhat pointless) one off Twenty/20 game. Don't see why the Twenty/20 can't just be included in the ODI series as a new decider.

I don't mind them picking Quiney he could have a future in our ODI side either in the opening spot or at 7. From what I saw of him in the KFC bash final he hits the ball much cleaner than White does so that is a start. On his runs there is only 3 guys that were stand outs in Carseldine, Hodge and Harris. Now I have no idea if they want to win the T20 WC or they still see this as a platform for youngsters to come in. If it is the latter then that would rule out Carseldine and Hodge.

I don't think many people will really care in a few weeks what the final result of the series was. So forget trying to conjure an extra game for the series. And lets move onto something really important like the NZ-India series and the Aus-SA Tests.

If NZ had won the trophy last year, I'm not sure we'd be hearing any complaints about rain ruining the series, but it's really the Aussies retaining the trophy that's biting.

A tied series is a pretty fair indication of the battle anyway. Australia won their 2 matches a little more convincingly than the 2 NZ wins, but NZ probably would have won the game last night. Yet last nights game was just a slog and slather-a-thon, not really a fitting finale to the series IMO.

Not for the first time, but rain gods saving Punter's ass this time around. NZ deserved to win the trophy, and the way they regrouped after the back to back losses were incredible. Ponting's average during the series was not even in the double figures and doubts have started to creep in as to his longetivity in this format. Haddin finally came to the party with two glorious knocks though.

Guptill, what a star! What a fearless cricketer!! Despite having the weaker resources, Vettori proved how good a captain he is by almost winning the trophy.

Precambrian added 1 Minutes and 2 Seconds later...

Of course, as Ponting said himself, "Weaker teams tend to perform in T20s better than they do in ODIs or tests" and that has been proved in the T20 matches against SA. So I back Aus to win the T20.

Not for the first time, but rain gods saving Punter's ass this time around. NZ deserved to win the trophy, and the way they regrouped after the back to back losses were incredible. Ponting's average during the series was not even in the double figures and doubts have started to creep in as to his longetivity in this format. Haddin finally came to the party with two glorious knocks though.

Guptill, what a star! What a fearless cricketer!! Despite having the weaker resources, Vettori proved how good a captain he is by almost winning the trophy.

Precambrian added 1 Minutes and 2 Seconds later...

Of course, as Ponting said himself, "Weaker teams tend to perform in T20s better than they do in ODIs or tests" and that has been proved in the T20 matches against SA. So I back Aus to win the T20.
This match was basically a Twenty20, it wouldn't be fitting to decide an exciting 2-2 series with a shortened game whether it was rained out or not. A draw is more fitting than a rushed decider. As for the trophy, do you think anyone really cares?

This match was basically a Twenty20, it wouldn't be fitting to decide an exciting 2-2 series with a shortened game whether it was rained out or not. A draw is more fitting than a rushed decider. As for the trophy, do you think anyone really cares?
Maybe but I don;t think Ricky would have complained about that had he lost the match tonight. ;)

Which brings the next scenario into mind, why didn't they convert this into a proper 20-20 match, and converted the Sydney one into the 5th ODI?

Simple reason MONEY. The fans that paid tickets to the Sunday match expect a T20 not an ODI. If it became an ODI quite a few of them will be asking for refunds. Also Channel 9 have planned for a T20 for Sunday not an ODI and what they want they usually get.

We should be more planning the fact Brisbane should not be used as a place for the final match in a series.

As a Kiwi I'm glad the final was Rained off. Sure Aus keep the trophy but we still did a great job,and it was an awesome series,that's what matters IMO.

Plus Aus hit it on the head. A T20 was no way to end a series like this.

Well, everywhere right now seems like a problem. Even Sydney is/going to rain today. It'll be more like Ten10 Cricket.

Sydney is gonna be raining for the rest of the week. It's predicted to be raining almost every day for the next month. There are a few breaks though.

The womens T20 match got under way but after 6 overs the rain came back. They managed to get back on the field. I saw a picture of the match and the sun is shining through.

It's been raining on and off all day, literally. It would drizzle, then pour for 30 seconds, then stop all together. Doubt we will see much play.

Users who are viewing this thread