New Zealand in Australia Nov-Dec 2008 Feb 2009

We retain The Chappel-Hadlee trophy:happy :happy

I feel kinda sorry for New Zeland though, they played really well:clap anyways looking forward to the 20/20 match.

Last edited:
Irottev, there's nothing more they could have done. You can't just say 'we'll play it in the morning' as it just doesn't work like that. The rain was torrential and they had to take the players off, and I'm guessing the fact that the presentation was indoors means it's still raining. New Zealand probably would have won, but they didn't. The reason Australia still have the trophy is their fault for bottling a 2-0 lead in the first place.

You would be glad, since you were going to lose.

^ They had to go off. I never complained about that. Bucknor tried his best, you could see he was gutted about ruining an exciting game and upset. The Aussie one wanted off the first time I reckon.

Yeah mate we will take them anyway we can these days. Kiwis played well though. One or two things didnt go your way but thats the game I guess. Hopefully kiwis get Oram back soon to smash the Indians.

The match shouldn't have been played anyway, a 23/20/14 over match is not a One Day International and should never be called such. Make it a Twenty20 and swap the final ODI to the date of the Twenty20. That's the best way to do it IMO.

My team for the T20

Warner
Haddin (c)
Quiney
Dave Hussey
Ferguson
White (VC)
Voges / Henriques
Hopes
Siddle
Hilfenhaus
Bracken

Just for your information, no Man of the Match has been announced for this game, but Michael Hussey has been handed the Man-of-the-Series award

My team for the T20

Warner
Haddin (c)
Quiney
Dave Hussey
Ferguson
White (VC)
Voges / Henriques
Hopes
Siddle
Hilfenhaus
Bracken

Looks a good team but can't see the selectors calling up a guy from outisde of the squad they picked.

I don't see the point in picking Henriques just to serve drinks same for Voges so both Ponting and Clarke should be rested from this match giving both players a run. The way Ferguson went would be good to get him at 3.

Irottev, there's nothing more they could have done. You can't just say 'we'll play it in the morning' as it just doesn't work like that. The rain was torrential and they had to take the players off, and I'm guessing the fact that the presentation was indoors means it's still raining. New Zealand probably would have won, but they didn't. The reason Australia still have the trophy is their fault for bottling a 2-0 lead in the first place.

Can you read please. Quote me where I complained about them going off. I didn't. I could see it was bucketing down. They couldn't keep playing. I know it doesn't work like that. It used to though, they used Reserve days. Now they cram it all in. You have to admit, it ruined the series the rain. It was 6 overs off having a winner and instead it's 2-2 with Australia keeping hold of the trophy.

I DIDN'T COMPLAIN ABOUT THEM GOING OFF

Now you'll get it.

Maybe the ICC need to use an extra game per series as a reserve and if it's not needed it's a Twenty/20. Otherwise it's an ODI. Just ideas. Totally wouldn't go down well money wise (which drives things these days)

Last edited:
Looks a good team but can't see the selectors calling up a guy from outisde of the squad they picked.

I don't see the point in picking Henriques just to serve drinks same for Voges so both Ponting and Clarke should be rested from this match giving both players a run. The way Ferguson went would be good to get him at 3.

Clarke and Johnson rested for the T20. Quiney coming in to the squad for Clarke.

Cricinfo - Injured Clarke and Johnson to miss Twenty20

Oh right well Hodge will feel hard done by. I wonder if they will play Quiney seeing how he wasn't in the original squad.

Oh right well Hodge will feel hard done by. I wonder if they will play Quiney seeing how he wasn't in the original squad.
Another one hit wonder really. Quiney had an awful Twenty20 series except for the final. Now granted he has had a pretty good season in the OD game, but he and Henriques are hardly inspired selections considering their Twenty20 form.

Hilditch said: "It does present a great opportunity for Rob Quiney to join the Australian squad. Rob has performed well in Twenty20 cricket this year, with probably the highlight being his excellent innings in the Big Bash final."

The selectors has no clue. Merv Hughes was on SEN (radio) earlier this week and when he was told Lee Carseldine's Shield stats this year, he said "Really? I didn't know he'd been so good in the Shield this year too!"

Now Hilditch thinks that 1 out of about 8 innings succeeding is performing well.

Last edited:
It's important not to be weighed down by stats because it can degrade what you think of a player when you actually see him. However, these aren't promising signs. Ferguson was picked at a really good time, but among how many premature or off-the-mark picks? Was it just blind luck or is it the nature of the game to be high risk?

Users who are viewing this thread