New Zealand Tour of India, November 2010/11

KBC

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Some of his tactics may be defensive, but the team is winning under Dhoni and he is actively contributing to those wins as shown by his average of 90+ in the games that we have won and that's what matters the most to me as an Indian fan. I have absolutely no qualms about Dhoni captaining the side at present and in the near future. Don't fix something which isn't broken.

To add to what I've said, you can't jump into conclusions about a particular captain on the basis of only three matches against a side which looks weak and debiliated by injuries and out-of-form players. Let Gambhir prove his mettle against the better and stronger sides before we moot his name as a successor to Dhoni. Moreover, Dhoni and Gambhir are both 29. So, technically, there's no chance of Gambhir ever becoming a permanent skipper if Dhoni continues his winning streak and sound form. Virat Kohli is a more plausible name if we are to discuss about future captains.

In spite of what you've said, Gambhir has fair amount of chances to Captain the side in many occasions. Partly predicting the future, Not always the same captain would be up there to work on the increasing number of games the team is getting to play. Nothing's par dhoni. But good thing Gambhir's also proving the responsibility of being the captain, as for his form and for the team.

His tactics were not defensive, He kept constant of one bunch of his players and experimented with the other bunch, which is a good thing. He kept his 4 mainstream bowlers doing the damage, and the part timers getting an equal share as the main bowlers in the lateral stage of the innings, which is far enough for NZ players to tumble for.

But the bottom line, He's been tested out, worked good. Now the selectors can fancy the win-win choice they have. Dhoni will feel comfortable having a good leader beside him so good change for India.

mohit_dude10

Club Captain
even an ardent dhoni fan will admit that hes defensive and out of form for quite sometime. oh and its not just 1 or 2 games. i've WATCHED him struggling to get runs and make some really defensive / pussy tactics on TV for a long time.

In 2010

Test: 570 Runs @ 40.71 in 11 Tests,
ODI: 600 Runs @ 46.15 in 18 ODIs

He has been really struggling to make runs :D

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Can't believe people are criticising Dhoni. This is pathetic. This what I hate about Indian fans, you don't even judge logically, just jump to conclusions on 1 or 2 bad games, and you never give credit when it's due OR you lavish undeserved praise. No logical thought involved.

Batting records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Since the start of 2009 MSD has played 47 ODIs.

In 41 innings he has 1798 runs at an average of 59.93 and a Strike Rate of 83.24. 3 tons and 12 fifties.

In that time we've won 26 matches, lost 17 and had no result for 4.

In won matches, MSD has averaged 94.61 with an SR of 92.06
When we've lost, he's averaged 32.05 with a SR of 67.70

He's still our most reliable batsman, and as the stats show, our match winner. India relies too heavily for him to be dropped or be stripped of captaincy. To even suggest such a thing is ridiculous.

I am really happy you raised this thing!! There are some people here back home who think Dhoni is not good. I think so they need to remember he has won I suppose 20 odd series after his captaincy and only lost 6 to 7.

The win also includes the series win in ODI's in Australia.

Dhoni is still the best captain we have. I wont rate Gambhir too much due to these games because it seems the oppposition is just so weak. Also Gambhir bats at the crucial No.1/No.2 spot. If his form is affected due to captaincy, our batting wheel will be affected. Dhoni's bad form doesnt bother us because he is not among our best batsmen. Will reserve judgement on Gambhir when he captains against more stronger opposition.

Yes, Dhoni's current form is in test is poor, but he has played well in ODI's.

do you even watch the games or just follow them on the net / cricinfo ?

even an ardent dhoni fan will admit that hes defensive and out of form for quite sometime. oh and its not just 1 or 2 games. i've WATCHED him struggling to get runs and make some really defensive / pussy tactics on TV for a long time.

and most reliable batsmen ?? you gotta be kidding me!

Have you watched the game buddy? First you say he has not won a series away and now you say his tactics are pussy tactics?

His field placements, his batting and some of his bowling changes do really work well. Although I agree that sometimes he keeps persisting with same set of players but that is not bad. He is atleast showing confidence in his players

Some of his tactics may be defensive, but the team is winning under Dhoni and he is actively contributing to those wins as shown by his average of 90+ in the games that we have won and that's what matters the most to me as an Indian fan. I have absolutely no qualms about Dhoni captaining the side at present and in the near future. Don't fix something which isn't broken.

To add to what I've said, you can't jump into conclusions about a particular captain on the basis of only three matches against a side which looks weak and debiliated by injuries and out-of-form players. Let Gambhir prove his mettle against the better and stronger sides before we moot his name as a successor to Dhoni. Moreover, Dhoni and Gambhir are both 29. So, technically, there's no chance of Gambhir ever becoming a permanent skipper if Dhoni continues his winning streak and sound form. Virat Kohli is a more plausible name if we are to discuss about future captains.

Well said buddy!!

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
I am not bothering to read last few pages but will say that Gambhir will never captain India on permanent basis. Lets face it, he is facing a struggling side who had been whitewashed even by Bangladesh.

If anything happens to Dhoni then I think Kohli would be one taking over.

Dhoni is India's Dravid in ODI cricket now day's but in test I don't mind seeing him sitting outside.

And please for love of God selectors need to drop their Jadeja love. He was out bowled in this match by Pathan and the job he does can be done by Yuvi.

King Cricket

International Coach
KBC said:
He's been tested out, worked good

Yes, but once Kohli has cemented his place in the side and assured the fans of his calibre as a batsman with consistent performances, shouldn't he be wearing the captain's crown instead of Gambhir in the absence of Dhoni?

Of course it's a hypothetical situation and Kohli still has a lot to prove before he is anointed as a skipper, but if we want to scout for Dhoni's successor from the very limited number of games he'd not be a part of, Kohli seems to the best possible option as I see no other youngster in the horizon who can be called well suited for the job.

Gambhir has no realistic chance of becoming a permanent captain in his career unless Dhoni's form falls miraculously, so it's better to invest our time and energy with a young gun like Kohli after he has matured a bit in international cricket. Let's not forget that he has a U-19 World Cup under his belt as a captain.

Last edited:

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
I am not bothering to read last few pages but will say that Gambhir will never captain India on permanent basis. Lets face it, he is facing a struggling side who had been whitewashed even by Bangladesh.

If anything happens to Dhoni then I think Kohli would be one taking over.

Bull- **** !

Dhoni's successor will be Gambhir. Virat Kohli is yet to cement his place in the side which will take him another 2 years-i.e after the retirement of Tendulkar,VVS and Dravid.

Virat is quite young and would be a good one for the future,but let him cement his place first. Its quite similar to Mohd. Kaif's position. When he first burst on the scene, there were talks about how he would lead us in 2011 and 2015. Look at him now- he is nowhere.
I don't think that Kohli will go the same way- am quite optimistic about the lad. He needs to get in the Test team and from there on, the captain's saddle would be his.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Bull- **** !

Dhoni's successor will be Gambhir. Virat Kohli is yet to cement his place in the side which will take him another 2 years-i.e after the retirement of Tendulkar,VVS and Dravid.

Virat is quite young and would be a good one for the future,but let him cement his place first. Its quite similar to Mohd. Kaif's position. When he first burst on the scene, there were talks about how he would lead us in 2011 and 2015. Look at him now- he is nowhere.
I don't think that Kohli will go the same way- am quite optimistic about the lad. He needs to get in the Test team and from there on, the captain's saddle would be his.

I don't think Dhoni will start to age ahead and Gambhir will age backward for that to happen :lol

By the time Dhoni is done Kohli would have settled and will be around 28-29. Which is ideal age for captaining.

King Cricket

International Coach
icyman said:
Dhoni's successor will be Gambhir.

If by 'successor' you mean someone who would slip into the shoes of India's skipper off and on when Dhoni is not playing, for the next one/one and a half years, before Kohli matures, it's Gambhir. But if successor means the next proper captain, it can't be Gambhir as there's just no sign whatsoever of Dhoni losing his form/midas touch as a skipper.

Last edited:

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
By successor I meant the immediate replacement to Dhoni. Gambhir will be for India exactly what Rahul Dravid was. Given their age, there is no way, Gambhir will get it on a permanent basis unless we screw up things big time in the forthcoming WC or the series to come thereafter.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
do you even watch the games or just follow them on the net / cricinfo ?

and most reliable batsmen ?? you gotta be kidding me!
When's the last time MSD has lost India a game based on tactics? I can't remember one.

He's defensive, sure, but you can't blame him given our bowling attack.

He gets the results, that's what matters.

relentless_rock

Club Cricketer
Kohli Kohli Kohli :clap:clap:clap
the guy would be so high on confidence and would already have started to feel like a senior member in our ODI squad. I love how he has taken the responsibility to utilise his good form and put a high price on his wicket. And frankly speaking I didnt see any chink in his armour in the last 3 games, almost chanceless!!!!
;) looking good to now become the fastest Indian to 2000 runs in ODIs :D

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Virat Kohli has all the makings to be our future Dhoni as far as captaincy goes. He has proved himself as captain when he led the U-19 team to a World Cup win. And now he is rapidly growing in stature as one of our premium ODI players. With him in red hot form, we dont seem to be missing Sachin much in ODI's (when was the last time we saw Sachin in an ODI, I forgot that too).

If he keeps his feet to the ground, he has all the makings of a superstar player and captain.

Params7

International Cricketer
Idk about Kohli being our future Captain..he just doesn't seem that kind to me. Leading U19 is entirely different. But he's growing into a fine, permanent top order batsmen that's for sure and I hope he keeps this up, it'll make entry for Yuvithefatty hard in the World Cup squad.

Oh and awesome job sealing the series win. Gambhir = The Man. Better luck next time Kiwis.

AkshayS

Chairman of Selectors
With him in red hot form, we dont seem to be missing Sachin much in ODI's (when was the last time we saw Sachin in an ODI, I forgot that too).

The 200* was his last match he played.

And Kohli is surely going uphill day by day, I hope that he would continue his good form in WC and SA.

Also for our world cup plans, I think he should bat at 4, with Gambhir coming at 3. The first 3 positions are occupied and there is no chance for him to bat at 3.:(

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Kohli may be in form, but isn't he a bit raw for the number 4 position?

Yuvi has the most experience and should be there, but he is prone to failure.

MSD could go there, but he's far more valuable as a finisher.

Raina too has technical issues although he has shown the temperament to be a good number 4.

Whatever way it works out, numbers 4 - 6 should be the trio of Raina/Kohli/Yuvraj in any order, with MSD to follow at 7.

As for reserve batsmen...that's tricky. It would be tempting to have Vijay as a reserve, but given that we already have 3 openers in the top 3, it is a bit unnecessary. He'll only play if one of Viru/Sachin/Gambhir are out injured. I don't like the idea of Rohit Sharma given his repeated failures. Pujara/Rahane/S.Tiwary are untested at Nat level, so to see them in WC squad would be quite a jump. And Jadeja and Yusuf shouldn't be anywhere near to squad ATM.

Guess the reserve batsmen will be Sharma and Vijay. Don't know who will be picked as backup keeper, I guess it's going to Parthiv Patel since he was preferred over Karthik and I doubt Saha will be going to the WC.

That leaves us with needing 6 bowlers. Zak, Bhajji, Ojha, Sreesanth, Nehra, PK. Looks very likely. Yuvi/Raina/Viru/Sharma the part time spinners and Kohli with some medium pace.

So the likely squad is going to be Sachin, Sehwag, Gambhir, Yuvi, Raina, Kohli, MSD, Bhajji, Zak, Sree, Ojha, Nehra, PK, Vijay, Sharma, Patel.

The only change I think we'll see is Patel out for either KDK/Saha, and Vijay out for one of Yusuf/Jadeja. This is tricky, because the selectors might not believe that Yuvi/Raina/Sharma/Viru would do a good enough job as a fifth bowler. In which case one of the two 'allrounders' will play. While I'd feel more assured with Jadeja batting in the top 7, because he can rescue use from a collapse, Yusuf's bowling has been more effective recently. But Yusuf in the top 7, even if it's at number 7, doesn't feel secure, especially since he has been found out. You want your numbers 6 and 7 to be able to haul you out of a top order collapse, and Yusuf has shown that he can't play a long innings at international level. But for Jadeja, on the other hand, his bowling is fairly rubbish at the moment, so while he can be relied on to steady the ship if needed, and we have enough hitters so that he won't be required to accelerate at the end, his bowling might not be much better than just using the 4 part-timers.

Ashwin is very unlikely to get a look in, unless it's at the expense of Ojha, because I don't think India will be secure with either Bhajji or Ashwin batting at 7. Also, it's seems too late of a return for either Irfan or Chawla.

Will be interesting to see who makes the squad at the end.

Users who are viewing this thread