New Zealand tour of Sri Lanka, 2009

irottev

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Guptill had a crap emerging players tournament too. He'd better get into some form pretty quick. We can't afford the usual opening collapses - we'll have enough trouble against the spinners without losing early wickets.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Guptill had a crap emerging players tournament too. He'd better get into some form pretty quick. We can't afford the usual opening collapses - we'll have enough trouble against the spinners without losing early wickets.

Yeah I was saying that before the tour started. McIntosh and Guptill will have to get us of to safe starts. I think he'll do alright though, he always seems to turn up when playing international cricket.

(He has in ODI's, hopefully he can do it in test cricket)

But Guptill is far from NZ's biggest concern.

leftarmlegspin

Club Cricketer
I rate Mathews very highly, I think he'll go on to be a very fine batsmen. But he isn't going to be the next Kallis. From what I've seen of his bowling it just isn't quick enough, he tops out at around 130K. He should make sure he keeps his batting as his highest priority.

No way will he become another Kallis. He does have the potential to become a useful all-rounder (SL haven't had one of those for ages), but his bowling needs huge improvement. He hasn't been working on his bowling because of injuries, but now that he is proving a useful option I think he intends to spend a bit more time in the nets on this aspect of his game. He won't get into the Test side on his batting alone.

Everyone seems to rave about his World Twenty20 performances, but his figures were boosted by that spell against the West Indies, otherwise he was a good source of runs for the batsmen.

TheGreemSim

International Cricketer
Good bowling today I suppose altough Guptil better shape up and quick. I guess they'll just use tomorrow as a batting practice and get used to the sri lankan wickets which will be the death of us. I reckon McIntosh will get a big score tomorrow.

I'm pleased to see Bond in the One Day squad but please answer, why oh why is Reece Young in the squad? The guys had a very lackluster career and I feel McGlashan was never given a fair chance. And even if you weren'y going yo use Hopkins or McGlashan as your backup keeper there'd be other people I'd choose ahead of Mr. Young.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Decent start for New Zealand this morning, 100-2 with Flynn bringing up his 50. McIntosh wasn't able to go on with it though. Hopefully Flynn puts up a big score here, as too with Taylor.

@Greensim. I think Young was picked because they see him as the best pure wicket keeper after McCullum in the country. I don't know why they've given Hopkins a contract if they didn't plan on using him though.

Ari

International Cricketer
Good first session for us. Flynn needs to go on and make a big one now.

I hope they decide to use McCullum at six ahead of Oram.

nz0003

International Cricketer
Pretty interesting that Flynn's highest First Class score is 110, needs to improve his concentration when he gets too about the stage he's at now (70 odd).

Ari

International Cricketer
Yep just as I had hoped McCullum batting ahead of Oram at 6. I have always felt he was wasted at 7 although he does bat well with the tail he always seems to run out of partners.

Edit: LOL Oram 2nd ball duck to the part time leggy get out now please, call up Franklin.

irottev

School Cricketer
Oram's bad. It;s a shame, we were in strong position. Good to see Taylor and Flynn in good form and Jesse got some too. McCullum's started well. It's a shame neither opener did their job though. Good to see us dominant.

TheGreemSim

International Cricketer
Well done Flyn, Taylor and Ryder. Good innings for all of them but it shows they lack concentration nz003 is right about Flynn and Ryder seems to be a bit of a victim to falling short of milestones.

@Howsie, I suppose you're right, nonetheless it does help if their batting is decent enough to pull the team out of tight situations by being able to go out there and knock a century at international standard. Hope he's not another Rob Hart, don't get me wrong his keeping was good but his bating wasn't up to much.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
LOL at Oram getting out second ball to a part-time leggie, disgrace. Shame to see Taylor not go on and get a century though. Atleast most of our batsmen have had a bit of a hit out. McCullum's going strong and like most of you have said, he should be batting at six.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Would of liked to have seen one of Ryder, Taylor or Flynn too make a century. Good day for us though, everyone except Oram made some runs.

Users who are viewing this thread