New zealand's Mccullum to open in tests

P

pcfan123

If he is giving up the gloves it only makes sense. His Test batting over the last year has improved considerably so perhaps he might be level headed enough to open now.

Guess that removes MacIntosh from the top

Iridium

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
New Zealand
That article isn't saying he is going to open. It just talks about his desire to open, to become an aggressive opener like Dilshan, Sehwag and Tamim Iqbal of late. It might happen, it might not.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Worth a shot since NZ can't seem to find Test openers. They come and they go but no one has really established themselves.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
They have to persist with McIntosh and Watling, we don't have a number three so it would be the wise thing to put McCullum there.

Therefore:

1. McIntosh
2. Watling
3. McCullum
4. Taylor
5. Ryder (or Guptill since he's always injured)

I just don't see him up to test match opening standard, I say he should take more of the Sangakkara route and bat at three in tests.

P

pcfan123

I don't understand why Ryder does not open, he seems suited to it.

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
They have to persist with McIntosh and Watling, we don't have a number three so it would be the wise thing to put McCullum there.

Therefore:

1. McIntosh
2. Watling
3. McCullum
4. Taylor
5. Ryder (or Guptill since he's always injured)

I just don't see him up to test match opening standard, I say he should take more of the Sangakkara route and bat at three in tests.

I agree that that is what they will probably use, especially as both McIntosh and Watling got contracts. They could then use Williamson at 6 if they wanted

-D-S-B-

International Coach
Yeah I read a good article in the paper today about McCullum. He talked a lot about T20 and how if he gets opportunities to join teams he will take them as setting his family up is most important to him.

Ryder can stay in the middle for now I think, he has been good there although he hasn't played much test cricket lately. Maybe McCullum Ryder opening pair could work in all forms of the game some day? Worth a shot but leave Ryder in the middle untill he fails I reckon.

Iridium

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
New Zealand
Maybe McCullum Ryder opening pair could work in all forms of the game some day? Worth a shot but leave Ryder in the middle untill he fails I reckon.

I'd really like to see that. The problem I have with McCullum opening is the fact that he is so inconsistent with his batting. Not that it's any different to what we have now...

I'd like Ryder to stay in the middle order. Team just looks a bit more balance that way. If he opened with McCullum, the top order would be definitely a lot stronger but at the expense of a little bit of strength from the middle order, which NZ has relied upon heavily to do the bulk of the scoring.

Shaun Tait

Club Cricketer
He shoud open in test cricket but then number 3 is open so he could bat at 3 :D

Iridium

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
New Zealand
McCullum averages 40 when he bats at 3. They've all been against England and he's only done it 4 times. He's scored 96, 20, 4, 9 and 71. Not bad, but got to be a lot more consistent if he's to bat at 3.

riz7khan12

Panel of Selectors
McCullum averages 40 when he bats at 3. They've all been against England and he's only done it 4 times. He's scored 96, 20, 4, 9 and 71. Not bad, but got to be a lot more consistent if he's to bat at 3.

lets be honest thats probably the most consistent we're gonna get. who else averages 40 at no.3 for nz in recent years ?

if he can maintain that average that'll be good enough tbh.

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
McCullum should not open he does prerty well down the order cause if middle order fails then McCullum can play big shots as well as guide through

Users who are viewing this thread