Next Aussie test opener?

Next Aussie test opener

• Total voters
Hughes has the big match temperament. Hes scored runs against International teams and this 100 comes backing up from the PM11 match also in front of the national selectors. Not to mention there was huge hype around him after his 1st season and yet hes still gunning it in his second season. If there is anyone that could make the step up then he is it. The only thing against him is it would be in a difference country and thus different conditions. Hence we did miss a good chance to bring him in during the 4th test.
4th test? :p Of the India series?

Valid points there. However, how many appearances has he had against "International" teams? And particularly the top bunch? I have no doubt he is the best talent in the Aussie domestic scene as of now. However, in a pressure cooker situation, facing the World's best attack at their home, in your first match, he might wilt.

Just looked up his record against overseas teams. Against New Zealanders he played just one match and scored 36. He toured India prior to the test tour in Sep/Oct and played two games against India "A" averaging 16. Not flattering figures those.

Lol meant 3rd Test of the Aussie Test series.

He scored 64 for NSW against NZ Cricket Archive
There was also a 46 against India A certainly not a bad effort touring a whole new country.

You have to remember that Jaques is coming back from injury, some players take quite a while to regain form and in his case he may not even get back to his level he was at pre injury. So really the risk is pretty similar between Jaques and Hughes. For me Hughes has shown he can handle the pressure in the situations I mentioned. Other men would have fallen, got out for ducks with the knowledge that the selectors are watching you for the opening spot.

I still believe that Rogers deserves to be ahead of Hughes, he's been one of the best domestic players in the country for the last 5 or so years, while Hughes will move up to second on the runs list now, I'd still go for the experienced Rogers for now.

However, I also believe that Jaques, fit or not, deserves first crack. He is one of the most talented batsmen in the country, he can get the job done.

Lol meant 3rd Test of the Aussie Test series.

He scored 64 for NSW against NZ Cricket Archive
There was also a 46 against India A certainly not a bad effort touring a whole new country.

You have to remember that Jaques is coming back from injury, some players take quite a while to regain form and in his case he may not even get back to his level he was at pre injury. So really the risk is pretty similar between Jaques and Hughes. For me Hughes has shown he can handle the pressure in the situations I mentioned. Other men would have fallen, got out for ducks with the knowledge that the selectors are watching you for the opening spot.
New Zealand. When since they qualify as a top level test class team? :p

You forget that it was not against India, but India A, which is comprised of strictly the benchwarmers. And his score of 46 was his highest in 3 innings, and he averaged just 16 in the whole series. It might look a reasonably OK performance, but not test class.

He and Jaques may form part of the touring squad and given a go in the tour match to assess whether both are ready. The one looking not ok, must be dropped and if it is Jaques, let it be.

For his first tour of India it's a good effort. Even Katich struggled to make any runs which puts it in perspective.

But both should be on tour and agree from those tour matches the selectors will be able to choose the opener they want.

I would rather he didn't go if he's not going to play. Look what happened to played like Noffke, Simpson, Hauritz years and years ago where they constantly went on tours, never played, and fell behind. Bollinger never played in India and lost form too.

Feelin Blue? added 0 Minutes and 33 Seconds later...

NSW LEGEND GEOFF LAWSON BACKS

Chris Rogers

Who cares. No one else does.

All those guys are bowlers they need time in the middle more than the batters. He would also get to play in the tour matches at the very least which gives him more experience and a bit of practice in SA. Not to mention that tour match could tip the scale towards Hughes if he performs and Jaques fails.

True I guess, although it could work the total opposite. In Punters first book he talked about Simpson and Haddin together (He wrote about every player that went on tours etc in his book) and suggesting they were the same level. It was like a race to see who was the next keeper and Simpson dropped off completely. Haddin didn't. So it's risky.

Update after 2nd inns. Rogers 93, Jaques 12 and Hughes 82*.

If he didn't book his ticket before surely he must of now. I'm taking the selectors would have still been watching him so once again hes performed in front of them, backed up from the PM 11 game and the 1st inns and once again has scored half of NSW runs when the others have failed.

Rogers has thrown his name back up there, so the selectors now are in a tricky position to pick the incumbent opener in Jaques whose form could be as bad as Hayden since returning from injury or picking Rogers who is in form.

Difficult decision awaiting the selectors, I'd like to see Hughes tour and I want Jaques or Rogers opening for that first test, and while I lean towards Jaques leaving out Rogers would be unfair given his form.

I think Jaques is the better play overall. He has been making lot of runs in state cricket over the last few years and had success in test cricket as well. But I am worried about his form and fitness coz he had some time away from the game. We can't carry any players atm so Rogers or Hughes might be the better option. Between those 2 I prefer Hughes because he has 10+ years left in him.

Hughes is certainly convincing more and more, that my Jaques love is getting overcome by him. No doubt as to he should tour SA. And an excellent decision to skip the IPL and instead opt for county stint, which would prime him up superbly before the Ashes.

I like Jaques as well but geez it now is a risk. Just look at what happened to Hayden post injury, he was in the best form of his life then comes back from injury and hes in a major form slump that leads to his retirement. I certainly wouldn't be locking in Jaques for the opener spot, if they still want him he must make runs in the tour match as the whole point of people calling for Hayden to be dropped was his form, well if Jaques isn't doing much better than we have gone nowhere apart from switching from Hayden to Jaques.

Users who are viewing this thread