Next Aussie test opener?

Next Aussie test opener

• Total voters
How is Jaques in OD cricket? If he's even half of an aggressive batsman it might solve some of the slight issues they are facing in getting a good pair going at the top.

think he nearly got a century on debut for aus in a ODI
I would have him in both test an 1day teams.

But because he was abit of a slow scorer for Aus when he first started he got labelled slow an they dont select him.

After he got confidence in tests he was alot quicker scorer and def good enough for 1dayers.

Most Aussie fans know he can score quick, he just needs to settle into the opening role and then things should click for him.

yeah its a matter of the selecters noticing him too. He could very well be one of those players they refuse to pick for ODIs

Well they don't rate his fielding highly and in the ODI form of the game that is a valuable asset. TBH I can't see him being our ODI opener as Watson did a solid job when he was doing it.

Jaques is overated

Rogers is better in every form of the game.

Openers race update, Rogers out for 24, Jaques 9. Hughes is still not out and once again makes a 100 against Tassie. Surely the selectors have to take Hughes with the form hes in, also as Langer said in an article whichever opener can perform now with the selectors looking at them should be the opener.

Hughes is great. We surely have to take Jaques and him to South Africa. No one else is even close imo.

I remain sceptic about Hughesy's selection for SA ahead of Jaques. The guy has immense composure and talent for the longer version, but would like to wait for atleast one more season before making him debut against the Top team in the world at their home. It would mean immense pressure on the bloke, and might backfire like Tait.

Hughes has the big match temperament. Hes scored runs against International teams and this 100 comes backing up from the PM11 match also in front of the national selectors. Not to mention there was huge hype around him after his 1st season and yet hes still gunning it in his second season. If there is anyone that could make the step up then he is it. The only thing against him is it would be in a difference country and thus different conditions. Hence we did miss a good chance to bring him in during the 4th test.

Users who are viewing this thread