Next Aussie test opener?

Next Aussie test opener

• Total voters
He's the best batsmen in the world, but all the combined NSW players beat Ponting by a mile.

Feelin Blue? added 2 Minutes and 52 Seconds later...

The people that voted Marsh are still yet to explain themselves properly. He's terrible. Why on earth would you want him for 2 of the biggest tours Australia will have for a while? South Africa away and England away are 2 are 2 tough combination's and we need someone that has proved themselves at domestic level consistently for a few years (Jaques) and has performed before (Jaques)

because i like shaun marsh he's my favourite player. I dont care if we win or not, i like watching the players that i like watching

Jaques or Hughes. In that order as well. Jaques and Katich also are a successful opening partnership for NSW and could bring the best out of both players, so for the benefit of the side, they would be the ideal openers.

This should be a shoe in for Phil Jaques, he's worked hard in the domestic scene for a number of years now and deserves his extended run. The next in line would probably be Phil Hughes the successor to Katich when he retires in maybe 3-5 years.

The other options on that list don't really rate a mention to be honest. At this stage in the Australian team we need to be picking either long termers (youngsters with heaps of talent/performance) or older 30+ with really massive performances at domestic level.

Starting with Chris Rogers who's far too old and not great enough even though he's had one decent season.

Brad Hodge isn't really a true opener and probably should have replaced Symonds during the last Ashes. Unfortunately the guy has missed the boat. Still could do a role in Twenty20s though.

Michael Hussey thrives in the middle order so leave him be, besides, putting him at the top is only a stop gap solution, because in 3-5 years he'll be gone too, not to mention a destabilised middle order.

Then finally we have Shaun Marsh, picked originally on IPL form which can be overlooked if he was only being considered for Twenty20 matches (which I must say he isn't doing too flash in), but now being considered for opening in test matches which is ridiculous. The guy can't even string together consecutive seasons of decent performance at first class level and yet he's seen as the saviour of our batting problems.

I know that Michael Clarke has opened the batting before, any chance from moving him up just to try something new out?

He opened in ODI much different to doing it in the Test arena. Plus hes such a good player of spin and hes found a spot in the middle order. Plus why move him when you have Hughes, Jaques and co in the wings.

Katich will move himself down the order for our next Shield match so the Phil's will go head to head.

Clarke opening will be one heck of a risk. He is very tentative against the moving ball early in the innings.

JAQUES
KATICH
ponting
hussey
CLARKE
mcDonald/hussey/hodge/symonds
HADDIN
johnson
HAURITZ
siddle
CLARK

6 of the 11 players will be Blues if that's the line-up for the next Test :D
yet both Katich and Hauritz have played more games for their original teams.

Hodge should be included without a question. This guys has the worst luck in the world.

I know that Michael Clarke has opened the batting before, any chance from moving him up just to try something new out?

Why take the risk when he's just had his best season ever and we have 2 very capable opening batsmen waiting on the wings? We need him at number 5 anyway, he's saved us a lot recently.

yet both Katich and Hauritz have played more games for their original teams.

Yeah but they are in the NSW squad.

Hodge is finished with the Australian test side.

DUSSMAN will get the nod sooner or later, surely.

I've been waiting for his call up ever since Australia decided Watson should be a permanent player in our First Team.

Has to be Jaques, he's been our best guy on the domestic circuit for the last 4 or 5 years and he's one of the most talented Aussie batsmen IMO. At his best, he's probably just behind Ponting and Clarke, maybe Hussey too.

Behind him it should be Rogers though, Hughes needs a couple of seasons under his belt before we throw him into the deep end. Too early and it could ruin his confidence and FC career.

Users who are viewing this thread