Nrl 2009

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...018993,00.html

Desperate New South Wales are searching for new halves, with halfback Peter Wallace and five-eighth Trent Barrett expected to be overlooked for State of Origin III against all-conquering Queensland.

The contenders are lining up with veterans Brett Kimmorley and Matt Orford vying for the No.7 jumper, while Jarrod Mullen and Jamie Lyon are closing in on No.6.

Kimmorley has lots of support. His form this season at the Bulldogs has been career-best, while Lyon was brilliant at five-eighth last year in Manly's premiership success.

If Lyon is switched from centre, Josh Morris and Michael Jennings could be the new three-quarter pairing, with Canberra's Joel Monaghan struggling to hold his spot for the Brisbane match.

Coach Craig Bellamy and the selectors will resist making wholesale changes to prevent a Maroons clean sweep.

It is expected utility Craig Wing will return to the side.

Kurt Gidley, Jarryd Hayne and David Williams will stay as the back three, Hayne missing out on a chance to play fullback.

The back-row of Paul Gallen, Luke O'Donnell and Ben Creagh is expected to be retained.

Prop Michael Weyman is unavailable through injury, his replacement to come from either Tom Learoyd-Lahrs, Josh Perry, Chris Houston or Brett White.

The battle between hookers Robbie Farah and Michael Ennis continues.

Farah did play with a rib injury in Origin I and perhaps deserves another chance, although some believe Ennis has the fire to be a success at Origin level.

Manly pair Glenn Stewart and Anthony Watmough will remain on the bench, alongside Wing, and St George Illawarra prop Justin Poore may now start for injured Weyman.

The Blues will name their side at half-time in the Monday night match between Manly and the Bulldogs at Brookvale Oval. Queensland will announce their squad on Tuesday

Why pick Kimmorely now, they should just stick to thier youth policy :rolleyes:

Shows how thin the NSW halfback depth is. Pearce is probably the best young halfback we have, Mullen seems to be considered more a 5/8 but he could full the spot.

I was calling for Kimmorely last match but isn't as much point going with him now. We may as well look to the future and go with Soward/Campo with Pearce/Mullen.

Well hasn't Campese benn injured most of the season, I still think he is there best option at 5/8. I don't know about Soward though. Until this year he was pretty poor, his form is probably due to the fact the Dragons are going so well. If he keeps it up till next year I wouldn't mind him in the team, but NSW don't need to pull a Pearce or Mullen on him.

I would go:

6.Campese
7.Mullen

1.Gidley
2.Hayne
3.Morris
4.Jennings
5.Morris

Wolfman was uselss.

Mullen has a great long ball both sides of him and his short kicking game is great. Pair him up with Sowards running and long kicking as well as his creativity and you've got yourselves a halves paring.

Mullen has a great long ball both sides of him and his short kicking game is great. Pair him up with Sowards running and long kicking as well as his creativity and you've got yourselves a halves paring.

A very flimsy halves pairing :(

Tbh I can't ever see Soward being a good Rep player.

Campese is the best defensive 5/8 for NSW and pretty dam good in attack. And he hasn't been injured at all this season.

Your backline is pretty much what I would go with, you could make a case for putting Hayne at fullback and Monas on the wing. Gidley hasn't had the same impact that he has for Newcastle.

Gidley has been good. I would consider him at hooker but then you lose Farahs defense.

Soward isn't that bad of a defender. He's not easy to get rid of and if you do he'll be back again in 10 seconds. Slows down the player so someone else can get there. Apart from round 1 and last week hes been brilliant in defense.

Campese is the best defensive 5/8 for NSW and pretty dam good in attack. And he hasn't been injured at all this season.

Your backline is pretty much what I would go with, you could make a case for putting Hayne at fullback and Monas on the wing. Gidley hasn't had the same impact that he has for Newcastle.

I was ment to say been playing with an injury doesn't he have a foot problem?

Btw FB are you a Dragons fan by any chance?

How would you feel about losing Daniel Vidot to us Syl :D

I wouldn't imagine they would let him get away, Vidot is going to be a star. Although if we could sign him our backline would look amazing next season.

He was playing with a foot injury but I believe he is over that now.

Would be absolutely gutted if we lost Vidot. He is our Inglis/Falou/Idris. We finally have one of these tall, athletic backs and to lose him would be heart breaking.

I'm surprised he hasn't been playing first-grade this season tbh. From what I've seen of him he could do better then Graham, who has been pretty poor this season.

I've been calling for him for quite sometime, he probably could be in over Croker as well who seems a bit off in terms of physique but he has been making some good breaks.

Graham has started to improve over the last couple of games but he is rumoured to be going to the Roosters so if he confirms I see no reason to keep him.

The Warriors to get up over the Nags tonight...please! :noway

I hope they do too. I don't mind the Warriors but I hate the Broncos.

I'm surprised NZ are playing on a Friday night over there though, that hasn't happened in a while.

Yeah, we haven't had a Friday night game over in Australia in a long time (well it feels like it anyways!).

Which team do you support Howsie?

Users who are viewing this thread