October: PlanetCricket FM Monthly Challenge

Yay Internationals! Always enjoy playing with a country and I've never tried France before. Should be good, I'm in.

Qualified for Euro 2008 with 1 game remaining.

Results:

1-1 vs Slovakia (N)
1-1 vs Italy (A)
1-1 vs Scotland (H) [terrible result]
3-0 vs Faroe Islands (A)
3-1 vs Lithuania (H)

Not the most convincing of starts but I'll take it.

I actually only had to restart the computer to install some updates to get the graphics card working so I'll start this now on FM09.

Well I have a lot of players out for my first friendly against Sweden. The players that are out are:

Franck Ribery
Patrick Vieira
Willy Sagnol
Samir Nasri
Olivier Dacourt
Karim Benzema
Anthony Reveillere
Louis Saha
Abou Diaby
Alou Diarra
Francois Clerc

I am doing this on FM2007 So will try to get to Euro 2012 if i don't i'll use my Euro 2008 results

So Far top the group after 4 games with 10 points resuts so far:

VS Georgia 0-0
VS Italy 2-0
VS Scotland 4-2
VS Faroe Islands 6-0

Last edited:
My group for Euro 2008 is a bit of a killer, but I'm still confident we'll get through:

Code:
France
Italy
Czech Republic
Turkey

By far the toughest of the four groups. Here's some background info on my squad for the tournament so far:

Goalkeepers:

S?bastien Frey - 6 starts under me - conceded 5 goals - 3 clean sheets - Stepped in when Hugo Lloris got injured before the Italy game. He will be the no.1 keeper for Euro 2008.

Hugo Lloris - 1 start under me - conceded 1 goal - 0 clean sheets - Got injured before the Italy game having played against Slovakia. Has been left out of the squad since but will be the likely back up to Frey for Euro 2008.

Mickael Landreau - 1 sub appearance under me - conceded 0 goals - 1 clean sheet - Back-up for Frey for the qualifying campaign, he will be our reserve keeper for the tournament.

Defenders:

Philippe Mex?s - 7 starts under me - 0 goals - 6.71 average rating - The skipper of the team and a vital part of our defence. Despite being the youngest player in defence he is one of our more experienced players at 13 caps.

Marc Planus - 3 sub appearances under me - 0 goals - 7.00 average rating - Has been impressive in Ligue 1 for Bordeux and subsequently has earned himself a spot for Euro 2008.

Lilian Thuram - 7 starts under me - 0 goals - 7.00 average rating - The oldest man in the team at 35. Has started every game and is an influencial part of the team set up.

Mikael Silvestre - 3 starts under me - 0 goals - 6.67 average rating - Was the no.1 left back but has since been replaced by Abidal or Clichy. He will be back up during Euro 2008.

William Gallas - 7 starts under me - 0 goals - 6.71 average rating - Played every game at centre back alongside Mex?s. Has performed well for Arsenal and is a certain starter if fit.

Gael Clichy - 2 starts under me, 1 sub appearance - 0 goals - 7.00 average rating - Has found his way into the starting line up after Abidal injured himself. He will have a chance to show his worth at left back for Euro 2008.

Midfielders:

Mathieu Bodmer - 3 starts under me, 1 sub appearance - 0 goals/1 assist - 7.25 average rating - Stood out with quality performances for Lyon and has since taken over Viera and Mak?l?l? in the defensive midfielder role. A certai nstarter for Euro 2008.

J?r?my Toulalan - 3 starts under me, 2 sub appearances - 0 goals - 6.80 average rating - After picking up a injury he lost his starting place and will have to sit most of the games on the bench with the likes of Bodmer and Nasri holding the midfield spots.

Mathieu Debuchy - 1 start under me, 2 sub appearances - 0 goals - 7.00 average rating - Has been drafted into the squad thanks to solid performances in Ligue 1. Will be back up for Sidney Govou on the right wing.

Sidney Govou - 5 starts under me, 1 sub appearance - 0 goals/2 assists - 6.67 average rating - Holds the right midfielder spot for now but needs some solid performances to keep Debuchy at bay.

Franck Rib?ry - 2 sub appearances under me - 0 goals - 6.00 average rating - Not featured in the team at all apart from friendlies. He is back up but will likely sit out all of Euro 2008.

Hatem Ben Arfa - 7 starts under me - 2 goals/1 assist - 7.14 average rating - A rising star at only 20, and repaid me for his first cap with a debut goal. He has since held the left midfield spot and his one of the first players on the teamsheet for Euro 2008.

Samir Nasri - 5 starts under me, 1 sub appearance - 2 goals/2 assists - 6.83 average rating - Currently holds the attacking midfielder role in the team and will be a certain starter. Has scored a couple of wonderful goals and is a real playmaker in the side.

Adel Taarabt - 1 start under me, 1 sub appearance - 0 goals - 7.00 average rating - Has been unlucky with injuries but at 18 he is still progressing. Despite not having a first team spot in Tottenham's team he will be travelling to Euro 2008.

Yoann Gouffran - 0 appearances under me - Has featured in the France squad several times but due to injuries he ahs not played a game. He will have to work hard or hope for a bit of luck to get a chance at Euro 2008.

Bruno Cheyrou - 0 appearances under me - Has played very wel for Stade Rennais this season and earns a palce on the Euro 2008 squad. He will most likely be watching the action however.

Forwards:

Karim Benzema - 1 sub appearance under me - 0 goals - 6.00 average rating - Picked up an injury before my first game in charge and has been kept out ever since. He has performed well for Lyon and will be on the plane to Euro 2008.

Florent Sinama-Pongolle - 1 start under me - 0 goals - 6.00 average rating - Drafted into the squad after a good start to the season with Recreativo in Spain. He will be back up but could well make an appearance at some point.

Nicolas Fauvergue - 1 sub appearance under me - 0 goals - 7.00 average rating - Caught my eye with plenty of goals for his club Lille and could find himself with a chance to shine during Euro 2008.

David Gigliotti - 6 starts under me - 5 goals/1 assist - 6.83 average rating - Has had a bright start to his international career after a blistering record with Saint-Etienne caught my eye. Score a hat-trick against Faroe Islands and will be a starter at Euro 2008.

David Trezeguet - 3 starts under me, 2 sub appearances - 3 goals/1 assist - After being left out of the squad against Slovakia and Italy he has come back and been in fine form. He will start alongside Gigliotti for Euro 2008.

Andr?-Pierre Gignac - 0 appearnces under me - Has a brilliant record for his club Toulouse and may well be a future star. For now he will have to wait for his chance.

We still have a couple of friendlies before Euro 2008 so this could change a little bit.

Last edited:
Benzema is amazing. I played him for 2 games and he got 2 goals in both. I still claim he got a hattrick in the first game even though it went down as an Own Goal.

My group is probably the easiest because it doesn't have any other big name teams, but all 3 teams are capable of beating me:
France
Sweeden
Switzerland
Greece

I got an easy World Cup qualifying group though;

Luxembourg
Bulgaria
Bosnia & Herz.
Sweeden
Lithuania

I really should win every game, except sweeden and bulgaria might pose a decent threat.

Ha. Just got offered the Everton job after they sacked Mark Hughes (Must've gone through two manager and I'm only in February). Just rejected it. Would've been fun but I'm really racing through this and thoroughly enjoying it.

flip me! I just won Euro 2008! I never dreamed of making it to the final let alone winning it. My team went into the Euro's ranked 15th having been 4th when I started. We came into the Euro's having lost 2-0 to Spain and 3-0 to Norway in friendlies. And yet we clicked straight away and brushed everyone aside.

Here's a few screenies for you lot:

euro2008group.png

The group stages

euro2008tree.png

Our passage through

euro2008final.png

What a final!

euro2008fixtures.png

Our 2008 fixtures

euro2008squad.png

The winning squad

You take a look at that squad and tell me how many players you recognise. Such an inexperienced squad and yet somehow we've managed to beat the best in Europe. Imagine what they'll be able to do in two years time! Oh and I bet Samir Nasri feels gutted. He has been our star player and he picked up a second yellow in the Semi Final meaning he would miss the final.

Here's the points I would have if Euro 2008 was counted:

Win The Euro 2008: 100 points
Every goal scored in Euro 2008: 13 points
Every goal conceded in Euro 2008: -4 points
Total: 109 points

Oh and we had 9 players in the Dream Team (Plus another 3 subs) and the best three players in the tournament were all French. Benzema won it followed by Trezeguet and Bodmer.

Last edited:
Haha nice work Trev! Not the most convincing of results in the group stages but you really clicked for the quarters and semis!

made a start to this today. haven't played a game yet but I'm hoping to bang through a few this weekend.

My god we suck at friendlies. I haven't won a single one as manager. Just lost to Sweden 1-0. We always dominated but never win. At least we make it count in the big games.

Users who are viewing this thread