Old games that you still play?

Not that old but I'm currently tucking into a Jill Valentine sandwich. ;)

Resident Evil

CM06 on the PS2, quality footy management. The players database may be out of date, but it is still not easy and there's plenty of variation within the game with plenty of self-set goals :

- Win all cups/leagues with Liverpool
- Win the Premiership with the weakest side
- Win promotion from the Championship with various sides then win the Premiership at the first attempt
- Win promotion from the conference through all the divisions then win the Premiership at the first attempt - never managed the last step, good because the players you know are good at the start of the first season won't necessarily be so/attainable when you reach the top
- Win SPL with weakest side, Falkirk - maybe even the European Cup in the second season although that isn't too hard as I've done it more than once with Rapid Vienna

Even within those set of principle goals I can set my own goals, whether or not I use "approach to sign", buy only players from 1-3 nations, sell the whole squad by the end of the transfer window (takes some doing) or try to achieve the goal with the squad in hand.

Why do I love the game so much? It plays quite quickly, is hard without being too hard (Chelsea normally take a LOT of beating to the Premiership and even with some of the best players, winning all the time isn't easy either), navigation round the screens is easy and results aren't unrealistic. Sure you can get the odd big margin, but you can just as easily lose unexpectedly at home to a side struggling. It's better than any other game I've played, like the original PSone Brian Lara is still better and more enjoyable than most subsequent cricket games I've played. If only it had more edit functions and better stats it could have been perfect, and of course that annoying function where lower order batsmen start hitting fours and sixes when you have their side 50/7 say. Still managed to win the World Cup as UAE once, not managed it with Ireland to date. Shame there weren't squads for the lesser nations (Holland, UAE, Ireland, Scotland, Kenya and Bangladesh) But at least you can't just bowl batsmen round their legs etc, although the difficulty of hitting spinners and the bug that is the field going defensive before 15 overs is also annoying.

Also enjoy PES3 for the PS2, go to the master league, buy the developing players like Piliniak, Van Gogh, Eliot, Byron, Dunant etc and if they score/play much then you get points to build up their attributes. Buy Piliniak, keep him on for say 60 mins, let him take penalties and build up his shooting, speed, dribbling and stamina and then he should get 45-60 points a game and be awesome by the time the season is over. Ifonly they'd worked on the basic principle, maybe lessened the points for success, made them more a "youth team" feature and so on then it would have been great. Players do develop on current PES versions, but so slowly it is painful. If they developed like some players do in CM06 and CM07 that would be better, some attributes improve every now and then, more so if they are playing, and sometimes a whole lot will improve at once.

If you ever play CM07, it isn't as good as CM06, but if you buy VandenBorre or Hangelaand then their attributes shoot up, as do they for Semjonovs (?15k) and Voronin. It's a definite to watch out for, Basturk starts off average and then after about three weeks of the game his attributes rocket and while his value goes up near double, you can still buy him for about ?3.6m. It's not a bad version of CM series, but the games and general day to day take sooooooooooooooooooo long to go through. And players ask why they're not playing (always say "tactical reasons") and criticise you for taking them off etc. Is it realistic or real-ly pointless?

And one game on the Megadrive was quality so worth a mention, "Chaos Engine" Kinda like Gauntlet but better, one of the few games I borrowed from Blockbuster while at uni and never regretted doing so, bought it off e-bay a few years ago. Syndicate was also good but a bit long-winded, not sure how anyone would ever finish that. If you can ever get Space Invaders 90 then that is good too, a few twists on normal space invaders. There is a website which I can't remember the name of, something like freeroms.com

And one game worthy of mention from the old ZX speccy is "Rebelstar" (and II), very strategic wargame type game, alternating turns but very very strategic. Rebelstar II features characters from the Alien movies including the aliens, queen and eggs. You have 26 moves to get across the swamp, into the building, kill as many aliens as you can, take the eggs to a spaceship (looks like one out of Space 1999 not Aliens) and get on board. I generally aim to do that by killing all the aliens, without losing a life and consider it a disaster if I don't manage that. Rebelstar is one I spent hours playing when I was younger, but there is no time limit and with it set in a moonbase there are walls and ways of making the task simpler - like waiting for the enemy to pile down the corridors, get in each other's way then pick them off with a photon (weapon). The droids in the original are generally stupid, you can go in through various airlocks and they move towards greater size forces so you can go in through one airlock, shoot them up until they get too close, retreat out the airlock, enter through another airlock, they move slowly to that one and you shoot them up and repeat until there are so few left they are easily wiped out by reinforcements. In Rebelstar II you don't have the time to do it, and nowhere to hide. Alien reinforcements appear among the positions you started at so you need to move by move 12 or they suddenly appear and you're fecked.

Anyone ever play these games on Sega Genesis (Mega Drive for you lot I guess)

Jurassic Park
Michael Jackson's Moonwalker
Aladin
NBA Jam

Those were my all time fav Sega Genesis games

Jurassic Park
Aladin
NBA Jam

SNES ROMS, NES ROMs, N64 ROMs, MAME ROMs, XBox 360 ROMs, Genesis ROMs, Gameboy Advance ROMs, Gameboy Color ROMS, GBC ROMS,GBA ROMS and Emulators - you can play them on your PC! ;)

EDIT : I didn't name that, my link was merely for a website and the words saying hmarka could play those four games, not the convaluted link name that either someone inserted or the web did

I played Aladdin, not overly impressed. I recommend (you try) the following for megadrive/whatever you want to call it :

Cannon Fodder - fun war type game

Lost Vikings - platform type adventure, complete tasks with three characters one has a shield that can block shots and be stood on, one a sword with the obvious intent and the other I think runs and bashes walls and might even be able to jump or some such ability

Premier Manager (97) - old pre-playstation football management game, ok but lacking much current management games have

Space Invaders 90 - Space Invaders with a twist, various levels and special weapons.

Immortal - Dungeons & Dragons adventure game I guess, a bit like Avalon was for the old ZX Spectrum

Fire Shark - much like 1941 (?), a shoot-em up like Flying Shark on ZX Spectrum

Chaos Engine - very much like Gauntlet, except better

Alien 3 - platform game, you have a time limit to complete levels killing aliens and completing whatever the task is.

Syndicate - strategy game, you have agents who have to "persuade" civilians to get them to follow you to a destination point, fighting or persuading enemy agents and so on. Pretty good but long winded

That's about the size of the ones I redownloaded when I got this new PC. There are plenty of decent other games, perhaps more famous. Some of the simpler golf games are quite good fun like PGA European Tour I think it is, old games like Risk, Tetris and columns, oh and Rambo III, I have a fair few on actual cartridge, would like Space Invaders 90 for the megadrive :( Oh and the Desert, Jungle and Urban strike series are good

Last edited:
Thanks for the info about emulation Owzat but my genesis still works! and I fire it up form time to time.

I have close to 100 genesis games, I still buy them everytime I go to a video game store, usually they cost between 50 cents to $5.

Jurassic Park
Aladin
NBA Jam

I think I played Michael Jackso's moonwalker and aladdin, can' remember them much as I didn't own them. I was only a little kid at the time

My favourites were streets of rage, golden axe, revenge of shinobi.

I had one of the madden games, I didn't understand american football but it was still good fun.

Anyone play a game called 'Wild Cup Soccer' (think it might have been on the Amiga, or maybe even the Commodore 64!!)

Anyway, it was a 'football' game, but you didn't have humans on your team, you had animals. Fighting was openly allowed on the pitch, you could pick up 'powerups/downs' to turn the ball into anything from burning hot, to a cannonball, and a 'header' involved shooting or knocking someone's head off! The overall object of the game was still to score goals and win the 'Wild Cup', but the collateral damage that was inevitable was hilarious! I wish someone would do a modern remake of a game like that.

MasterBlaster76 added 17 Minutes and 10 Seconds later...

Didn't they have a chance of something similar a while back - a new version of Speedball II, but they made an almighty cock up of it?

I just ordered 'UFO - Enemy Unknown' from Steam for ?3. Anyone remember that one? Still the best turn based strategy games, even after all this time. Look beyond the graphics and you'll find one of the most thrilling, tense, nerve shredding and challenging games ever made. Shame no one's been able to do a decent remake!

Users who are viewing this thread