Pakistan tour of West Indies Apr/May 2011

Well i think you all guys need to forget about his batting and enjoy the Dream run of his bowling Honestly i don't even expect from him anything special now(with the bat)

Does anyone serioulsy care about ODI's straight after the WC?

When does the test series start?

Squad: Shahid Afridi (capt), Mohammad Hafeez, Ahmed Shehzad, Taufeeq Umar, Usman Salahuddin, Misbah-ul-Haq, Asad Shafiq, Umar Akmal, Abdur Rehman, Saeed Ajmal, Tanvir Ahmed, Wahab Riaz, Junaid Khan, Hammad Azam, Aizaz Cheema and Mohammad Salman (wk)

Reserves: Rameez Raja (jnr), Sadaf Hussain, Asif Zakir, Sohail Khan, Zulifqar Babar

This is the team I would play for my ODIs and T20s, taking into account the current squad:

1. M. Hafeez
2. T. Umar (don't really like him in the team but his in the squad and is more reliable than Shehzad so...)
3. A. Shafiq
4. U. Akmal (with YK out i think its time for Umar to step up)
5. M. Ul-Haq (don't like seeing him in the squad but what can we do?)
6. S. Afridi (C)
7. M. Salman (WK) (don't know much about this kid so will be fun watching him for the first time)
8. H. Azam (classy player from what I remember)
9. W. Riaz
10. S. Ajmal
11. J. Khan

I think the team is lacking something without Gul in the bowling line up and I believe Sohail Khan should be in squad. Will have to see how this lot play and then decide on a Test team.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got no idea what West Indies want. Three of their major players are not included in the first two ODI's. I am guessing they will come back when West Indies lose the first matches.

Gayle, Chanderpaul and Sarwan dropped
ESPNcricinfo staff
April 14, 2011
Pakistan in West Indies 2011: Gayle, Chanderpaul and Sarwan dropped from ODIs | Cricket News | West Indies v Pakistan | ESPN Cricinfo

Brave move, but not smart imo. The squad they are taking don't even look as if they could beat most domestic sides, let alone international sides.

quote said:
About Bravo, the release said: "Dwayne Bravo, who is also contracted to an IPL franchise, will play in the One Day Series v Pakistan but will miss the two Tests v Pakistan in order to participate in the IPL. Like Pollard, Bravo also remains committed to West Indies cricket and will be available for future selection to the West Indies team in all formats."

Why would they allow him to miss the tests?. He is very important to the balance of the test side in giving them 5 bowlers especially with Taylor & Edwards unavailable?. Weird..

I would have preferred a tough series for Pakistan. This is becoming lamer every minute.

Why would they allow him to miss the tests?. He is very important to the balance of the test side in giving them 5 bowlers especially with Taylor & Edwards unavailable?. Weird..

There would be one too many all rounders with Bravo and Sammy. I also prefer Bravo but Sammy is the captain so he gets the nod. Sammy will be that 3rd or 4th pace bowler but he doesn't really have that much use in tests. I would prefer Nash being named the test captain and Sammy being the ODI/T20 captain.
Anyways from the players in the squad it will probably look like this

Devon Smith
Kirk Edwards/Lendl Simmons
Darren Bravo
Marlon Samuels
Dwayne Bravo
Darren Sammy*
Devon Thomas+
Andre Russell
Devendra Bishoo
Anthony Martin
Kemar Roach

I would have prefered if only Chanderpaul was dropped with Gayle and Sarwan being in the squad.
Gayle would open with Smith and Sarwan would slot in at #4 instead of Anthony Martin. That would bring a much better balance to the squad.

Agree - it's just as weird as saying that Keiron Pollard will get some long term benefit out of the IPL. Financial benefit maybe, but I don't see it helping his overall game at all. T20 is the one thing he's pretty good at already and bashing some young Indian kids around the park do much for his future. Playing here against a decent bowling attack and being a senior figure in the side and learning how to play an innings longer than 30 balls would have been WAY more beneficial.

So given those Bravo and Pollard decisions, it's pretty clear the WICB are trying to be nice to them, not 'forcing' them to play for the WI. It's a joke.

Bravo

His allowed to play the ODIs but not the tests. he would rather miss Test cricket for a couple weeks in the IPL?? what is the WICB doing. get some pride and kick him and anyone else like him OUT :mad

WICB and their players need to get together here or cricket will die a few more deaths in the Carribean by the time India gets done whitewashing them.

Wow this series is going to be easy for Pakistan. WI just dropped their best players.

The best chance for Pakistanis to test their younger players and give them an international experience.

WICB and their players need to get together here or cricket will die a few more deaths in the Carribean by the time India gets done whitewashing them.

I completely agree.. Pakistan is a strong unit too they too can whitewash the carribean. Also decision to remove Gayle and others show a positive side of moving on

Squad: Shahid Afridi (capt), Mohammad Hafeez, Ahmed Shehzad, Taufeeq Umar, Usman Salahuddin, Misbah-ul-Haq, Asad Shafiq, Umar Akmal, Abdur Rehman, Saeed Ajmal, Tanvir Ahmed, Wahab Riaz, Junaid Khan, Hammad Azam, Aizaz Cheema and Mohammad Salman (wk)

Reserves: Rameez Raja (jnr), Sadaf Hussain, Asif Zakir, Sohail Khan, Zulifqar Babar

This is the team I would play for my ODIs and T20s, taking into account the current squad:

1. M. Hafeez
2. T. Umar (don't really like him in the team but his in the squad and is more reliable than Shehzad so...)
3. A. Shafiq
4. U. Akmal (with YK out i think its time for Umar to step up)
5. M. Ul-Haq (don't like seeing him in the squad but what can we do?)
6. S. Afridi (C)
7. M. Salman (WK) (don't know much about this kid so will be fun watching him for the first time)
8. H. Azam (classy player from what I remember)
9. W. Riaz
10. S. Ajmal
11. J. Khan

I think the team is lacking something without Gul in the bowling line up and I believe Sohail Khan should be in squad. Will have to see how this lot play and then decide on a Test team.

Don't know what others reckon but I think Afridi is too unreliable to bat at #6. I'd have him higher as a pinch hitter in the first 15 or bat him at #8. Definitely agree that Umar needs to step up and bat at #4 though.

Users who are viewing this thread