Pakistan tour of West Indies Apr/May 2011

Don't know what others reckon but I think Afridi is too unreliable to bat at #6. I'd have him higher as a pinch hitter in the first 15 or bat him at #8. Definitely agree that Umar needs to step up and bat at #4 though.

agree that Afridis batting is not strong enough but the move to 6 is more to protect the inexperienced azam and salman.

agree that Afridis batting is not strong enough but the move to 6 is more to protect the inexperienced azam and salman.

I see the theory, but in his current crease occupying form, Afridi would only protect them for an extra over or 2 :D

Taking a better look at the world cup and the players named in the squad and the reports coming out of the Caribbean I agree with the squad that was named. The players that did well in the World Cup kept their spot and the ones that didn't got dropped.

As for them allowing Pollard to play in the IPL I am fine with that because he is a waste of space in the team and would just take a spot from someone that can offer more to the team.
Bravo would have been useful in tests but there is room for only one all rounder and Sammy happens to be one alongside being the captain which automatically gets him a spot.

First WI need to change their Skipper He doesn't even deserve a place in the team and yet he is captaining the side

coudnt agree more. sammy? why is he even in the team?? its a joke. bravo should be playing in tests. and i totally agree, afridi has no clue on how to occupy the crease and maybe im hoping against hope :facepalm

There would be one too many all rounders with Bravo and Sammy. I also prefer Bravo but Sammy is the captain so he gets the nod. Sammy will be that 3rd or 4th pace bowler but he doesn't really have that much use in tests. I would prefer Nash being named the test captain and Sammy being the ODI/T20 captain.
Anyways from the players in the squad it will probably look like this

Devon Smith
Kirk Edwards/Lendl Simmons
Darren Bravo
Marlon Samuels
Dwayne Bravo
Darren Sammy*
Devon Thomas+
Andre Russell
Devendra Bishoo
Anthony Martin
Kemar Roach

I would have prefered if only Chanderpaul was dropped with Gayle and Sarwan being in the squad.
Gayle would open with Smith and Sarwan would slot in at #4 instead of Anthony Martin. That would bring a much better balance to the squad.

Ye hopefully Nash becomes the test captain as Sammy continues to struggle in tests, since they certainly aint gonna give it back Gayle, Sarwan or consider Bravo for it.

----------

Agree - it's just as weird as saying that Keiron Pollard will get some long term benefit out of the IPL. Financial benefit maybe, but I don't see it helping his overall game at all. T20 is the one thing he's pretty good at already and bashing some young Indian kids around the park do much for his future. Playing here against a decent bowling attack and being a senior figure in the side and learning how to play an innings longer than 30 balls would have been WAY more beneficial.

So given those Bravo and Pollard decisions, it's pretty clear the WICB are trying to be nice to them, not 'forcing' them to play for the WI. It's a joke.

Ye its crazy they shouldn't be in the IPL at all until their home season of cricket ends.

----------

Bravo would have been useful in tests but there is room for only one all rounder and Sammy happens to be one alongside being the captain which automatically gets him a spot.

At test level its a bit of stretch to term Sammy as an all-rounder though. He is a bits a pieces waste in that format.

Bravo is test standard & enables Windies to play 5 bowlers, which with Taylor & Edwards always out - his experience will be key in supporting Roach.

He is over the hill IMHO. We must look to build for the future.

yes i would agree. have to look beyond yousuf now. with azhar ali, shahzad, shafiq, akmal, umar ameen, we have some good young batsmen coming through who are all a little bit more athletic too :D

Pakistan have beaten the University of West Indies Vice Chancellor's XI by 68 runs

Pakistan 287/8 in 50 overs, UWI 219/8 in 50 overs

Hafeez 101 retired out (also captain today)
Ahmed Shahzad 49
Umar Akmal 52 not out
Taufeeq Umar 44 (off 60 some balls)

Junaid Khan 1 wicket
Tanvir Ahmed 1 wicket
Abdur Rehman 4 wickets

Hafeez getting a century is a good sign. He is a good batsman but rarely gets over 30 or so in ODIs. His horrific shot in Semifinal will haunt me forever.

Pakistan didn't include any young spinner in the squad All our four spinners are 30 or 30+ so i think we should give chances to young spinners as well.I saw tahir Khan he plays from sindh He's quite good

Users who are viewing this thread