Pakistan tour of West Indies Apr/May 2011

Did any of you guys listen to the interview Gayle just gave explaining himself?

Here's a brief transcript of the interview :

CaribbeanCricket.com - Gayle live on klas NOW!!!

Follow Admin's posts :
"No one called me and said anything" before or after the headlines that said "Gayle dropped".

"The only communication was the physio on my BBM, I messaged him. I said I'm feeling okay. THen he said he'll send me a program. He was to send from ever since, which I didn't get. I got the program long after the IPL opportunity presented itself."

"The only communication was on BBM message."

"No [fitness] program was sent! No program was sent."

"I was forced to make this decision based on what was happening around me. Based on what happened to Sarwan and Chanderpaul. I wanted to play. I wanted to represented West Indies. That was my ultimate goal. Based on what was happening, I had to make that decision. An opportunity presented itself... a T20 squad was named, an ODI squad was named... listen, I had no other choice but to take the IPL contract."

"As soon as I asked for NOC. Everything mashup! Email start coming in left and right."

"Listen meh, I was playing cricket under a lot of pressure. I wasn't supposed to be at that World Cup... over one little simple thing. The CEO threatened me. I was threatened by the CEO that I will get dropped over one simple bit of information."

"I got a note from CEO to sign the World CUp contract. I replied to CEO asking if WIPA approved of the contract. The reply from CEO, copied by all three selectors and coach and lawyer and CEO himself... stating that we have someone on standby, if you don't sign this contract, you will be replaced for the World Cup. That eat me out during the World Cup."

"All I asked... does WIPA approve this contract? ... that's all I asked. Then the man send a letter threatening me."

"I'm the perfect target for them. They want to get rid of me. They want to get rid of WIPA. That's all this is about... to get rid of WIPA."

"I called a meeting with the coach and team to ask if he said bad things about me... That was my last game as captain. He denied all this. I didn't know all these things were written about me b this coach. If there is one coach that got my all, it was Ottis Gibson."

"I don't know what they trying. They turn to Bravo now. They gave him the vice captain. They take away the captain from me and they take away the VC from Bravo... now they gone back to Bravo... I don't know what they trying."

"They say they have unproductive talk with Chris Gayle. I wrote to board, asked board for simple NOC for Big Bash and IPL. I never heard from there. Sri Lanka tour came up, I got a triple hundred in the Test match. THe CEO then called askign waht I wanted to do pertaining to IPL. I said I'd love to play full IPL. CEO said "no, that can't work..."

"In SL, when I got the triple century. I said to myself that I'll give Test cricket a break. I was going through a lot. I was going back and forth in my mind. Pressure was piling up. I didn't make any decision. I didn't know what CEO discussed with Bravo and Pollard. I didn't know their productive talk with 'the doctor'."

"Just before the IPL auction, I got an email from teh CEO if I'm retiring from Test cricket. I found that very strange. IT sounded like he wanted me to retire so he can continue to screw me over."

"They want to question me about my commitment to WI cricket. We bruk finger and bat. You know who is the most hardcore cricketer for West INdies?!?!? You know who that is.... Chris Gayle."

"The World Cup was a statement. If any player can come out publicly and say they were in the right frame of mind to play cricket... ah lie dem a tell"

"They threatening players. They're using the fitness thing to threaten players. You can make ten ducks in a row and still make the team... as long as you fit like a fiddle... That's the system they have now... Fitness, fitness, fitness..."

"every coach come with the same format... fitness, fitness, fitness... 24/7. Man to man, Australia team no fitter than we. You think India fitter than we?"

"Ah joke Coach Ottis Gibson ah mek!"

"Wavell played the T20 World Cup. He was 32 yrs. The coach look to him and say Wavell, you too old, yu not in my program. Two days later, Dale Richards came in .. and he's older than Wavell."

"My bat do my talking. You check the stats. That's how I survived for so long... You check the stats.."

"Chris Gayle don't interfere with people. I do things willingly from my heart. I sacrifice my work ethic to help other players. But I always get hte blame."

"I was called into a room in front of all the selectors... people in front of computers... asking why I didn't sign (retainer)contract. I told them it did not sound right. The contract covers everything from WI cricket to local club cricket. If Lucas want me to play, I can't go and play nowhere else. The contract ties me down to everything... to WI, to Jamaica, to club level..."

"The WICB can stop me from everything... they can determine every move I make."

"I didn't sign the retainer because I didn't want to be bogged down. They have someone on the computer taking minutes. They can publish it publicly and let people see what my explanation was."

"I wanted to go and captain the team at the World Cup. I was in a meeting and they begged me to take it. Before SA series, Ottis Gibson had jsut come on board. Gibson begged me to stay as captain."

"That's why I couldn't believe those things he (Gibson) said about me. He saying I lacked leadership. But he was the bwling coach of England and he knew he was getting the WI job. He *begged* me to stay as captain."

"He was saying "Stay Chris, I'm coming..."

"I wasn't officially appointed as captain for the WC. The same coach, when his back was against the wall, who did he turn to? He turned to Chris Gayle."

Gibson" "Chris what you think?"

"I played my role, I gave my input."

"The coach is a user. That's what he is. He is a user."

"I hope this interview is going all over the world. I'm clearing my name. Don't come putting me as a bad apple."

"Another thing... as much as people want to look at WIPA as bad. Current players and players to come in teh future, if there's no WIPA, y'all are going to suffer."

"Yall should thank WIPA. WIPA has done a lot for players locally, internationally, grassroots..."

"Players literally come to me..they don't know nothing about WIPA. They asking me about WIPA... saying that board members complain and saying they shouldn't get involved with WIPA."

"Ramnarine has done everything to educate the players. But the players listen to board members. Players should thank WIPA for everything."

"You think that if I didn't get an IPL contract.. you think I would get a layaway like Pollard and Bravo?... Them say they will side with those two... and show up Chris Gayle..."

"The CEO had a discussion with the players... he was cursing Pollard, saying he was money-hungry... He asked Pollard if 2020 was real cricket."

"Who the people want to come watch? Nuh Chris Gayle?" "Dem can't trick me"

"Me and Sarwan sit down and talk after the World Cup. Sarwan was messed up mentally. The coach messed up the man mentally. The players were not in the right frame of mind."

"Sarwan was batting without a free mind. Players told me they lost confidence. No confidence at all. A player speak his mind in team meeting openly... The player said his piece... After that, he never play a World Cup match. But me talk with my mouth and me talk with my bat."

"We won a couple of series in between. I beat him when he was coach (of England). I can't sleep properly. I need to get this off my chest. I want everybody to print what I said, I want to clear the air and I want them to ease up. WICB, back up offa my back."

"I'm available for selection for West Indies. I'm still the hardest fighting cricket for WI. Me willing fe dead out for WI cricket. Some things I do, nuff players never do yet."

"One leg, me tek injection, and still go mek runs. Tek catch with one hand. Nuff man sit down and cock up dem foot."

"I wasn't selected for IPL originally at auction because of email that was being sent that Chris Gayle won't be available..."

"I respect Sammy long time. But it was not the right time for him to be captain. He wasn't cemented in the team. It created animosity in the team within the final XI. We could never get the balance right. In the ODI format, it messed up the XI (to play Sammy)"

"why dem want cut my earning and dem a earn."

"Why do they want to stop my earning? I see things publish in the media..on the internet... about what they are "erning" LOL

"I cna't stop bigging up WIPA. WIPA mek we eat food... mek we contract in order. WIPA is 24/7 in the corner for WI players. Players need to understand that. If it wasn't for WIPA, you'd still be earning $2.00 for first class players."

"THey don't like Ramnarine because him talk the truth. They don't like the truth. The truth always hurts."

"I'm not boasting or anything. Whether I'm captain or not, I can still get the best out of players. The respect level is still high. Whether I am captain or not."

"Stop putting too much pressure on the players. Give them some leeway. Every particular coach come thru... focus on one thing only.. the physical part. I see it as a punishment. We lose test match, we get 20 laps. You have to do 20 laps around the field."

"You can't have people running up and down like dem a fool..."

"They making too much press release now. Nobody knows what Chris thinking. They going overboard now, putting out all kinds of releases. So I decided to clear the air."

----------

Yeah...safe to say, Gayle and WICB are done. :yes But kudos on Gayle to come clean like this. I'm cheering for BRC now.

He wasnt picked for the first two ODIs because he was on a WICB injury treatment program for an injury he picked up during the world cup. As far as the WI new he was still being treated for that injury and then decided to go to the IPL.

Without even thinking about what Galye said in that interview :

1. Why is WICB trying to play the victim card here? They have all the power in the world to stop Gayle from going to the IPL by not issuing the NOC. Why are they being drama queens in front of the press?

2. Where the other two senior players also injured? Why did they get dropped?

3. Why did Gayle decide to announce his IPL decision a week after it was announced he wasn't in the Windies squad?

These were the q's in my mind BEFORE Gayle gave his interview. They were all answered I think. God help WICB/West Indies cricket, seriously. Fire in ***ing BABYLON.

Disgraceful. I always knew something fishy was going on behind the scenes.

You guys should read WICB Expos?. We all know about the player disputes and sponsorship fiascos, but it makes you wonder what they manage to keep quiet. The level of corruption attributed to the directors is amazing.

Woah respect to Gayle to come out like that. Personally I had a feeling it was about the money for him, but the lack of communication from the board and the players is really appalling.

1. Why is WICB trying to play the victim card here? They have all the power in the world to stop Gayle from going to the IPL by not issuing the NOC. Why are they being drama queens in front of the press?

2. Where the other two senior players also injured? Why did they get dropped?

3. Why did Gayle decide to announce his IPL decision a week after it was announced he wasn't in the Windies squad?

These were the q's in my mind BEFORE Gayle gave his interview. They were all answered I think. God help WICB/West Indies cricket, seriously. Fire in ***ing BABYLON.

Well since you got your answers no need to answer.
All I have to say is that I don't support WICB, I am with the players so dont get the wrong idea. The WICB has been a joke for a while and has been a big reason behind the fall of WI cricket (some players also take the blame here too) and have been at war with the players for a while. Recently they did some good things with Caribbean cricket but they need to do way more to make up for lost time.
I will say that the WICB did come out and say that no players are dropped and that they are picking for the future. That senior players will be in consideration for selection.
Gayle is one of my favorite players but its not cool of him to talk bout Sammy like that, sure he speaks from the heart but it was no Sammys choice.

As for today it was a good performance for WI, Bravo and Simmons batted really well and Bishoo was brilliant. He has been doing this for Guyana for a while now and hopefully he keeps performing.
Would have liked to see Santokie in over Russell or Rampaul.

I think its crazy the countries are still scheduling series with only 1 T20 - thats utter madness.

For windies Bishoo, Simmons, Nurse are interesting looking players going forward. I could see them mxing well with the experienced players if only the chances of them playing again (Gayle especially) looks unlikely - which is just terrible.

Simmons was quite awesome, but his partnership with Bravo was so effortless as to suggest that 180 would be needed. Alas, apart from Hyatt and Barnwell, nobody else looked like they were meant to bat.

It was hard to say if Afridi's 'plan A' was flawed or if the top order batting was just too good, but the end result was that the two outfielders never seemed to be placed well enough in the opening six overs. Pakistan's ground fielding didn't do them too many favours either, but their catching and throwing was actually really good. It was Wahab Riaz' superb throw that got them their biggest breakthrough and it says a lot about their journey in the past year that this could be so.

Junaid Khan looked interesting in his first go, not quick but presented the novelty of a left armer who swings the ball across right handers. Fletcher certainly knew nothing about it.

When it was Pakistan's turn, they never really looked in it. While the Windies were missing a couple of senior players, class batsmen have simply not been in abundance for Pakistan of late. Even then, it seemed like a caricature of a more notable Pakistan innings.

The wicket of Asad Shafiq, who might well be Pakistan's classiest, was key. It was an excellent diving catch by Hyatt which stopped the one player who looked as though he might have won the game if allowed to prosper. Just as Pakistan held catches, hit the stumps and even experienced what might be called decent wicket-keeping, so too did the West Indies. Some teams don't necessarily gain fielding with their younger players, but the Windies clearly do have depth in terms of raw athleticism.

As it was, Pakistan scrapped their way quite close without any remarkable efforts. If there were more T20s, it would be a warning to the West Indies as much as anything, because it's a game where it's hard for a couple of guys to carry the side. The ODIs should be an interesting contest, as both sides are just a little lacking in firepower and might find themselves giving away good positions by not striking a killer blow.

Users who are viewing this thread