Pakistan tour of West Indies Apr/May 2011

Well I come back home to see another poor batting performance by the West Indies team. Dropping the 3 best batsman and performing like this is backfiring on the WICB plan. There is no way that this group of bowlers can defend these kind of scores, actually there are few teams that can defend these scores and that would be against the West Indies.

What the hell is Samuels doing 29 of 74 balls? Is this real life?
For years now the West Indies middle order hasn't been able to score ones and twos in the middle overs.
Sammy is a backup bowler not an opening bowlers, the new ball is being wasted on him. There needs to be 2 proper fast bowlers in the team and hopefully the selectors realize that and change things up for the last 3 ODIs.

At least Bishoo is doing good and Brathwaite scored a century against Australia so I got something to hope for.

In the context of the two teams, the defining factor seems to be spin. On these pitches and with the batsmen these teams have, 30 overs of spin just does way more damage to the opposition's scoring rate than 10 or 20. It might not have been as good a pitch as for the first ODI, but when the batsmen wanted to accelerate, they could do it against the pace.

Simmons was the first and foremost exception, able to smash Shahid Afridi for a hefty six and ultimately score at better than a run a ball against the spinners. He eventually got out to Afridi, but it was perhaps just a rush of blood to the head. He has otherwise shown that he's a very potent player of spin, he just needs to get on top of a game for longer. Misbah was also very busy, but with more subtlety. His only boundary was a reverse sweep, but it was enough. He's comfortably the best batsman featuring in the series so far.

In contrast, Ahmed Shehzad scored a hundred without hitting any boundaries against Bishoo or Martin. He did not even score off most of the spin he faced. Perhaps with a Simmons hundred on the board, Pakistan would have been in trouble chasing 5 an over. The West Indies are not alone with their weaknesses, but they are not using Pakistan's weaknesses to advantage.

Nice to see Shehzad trying to stay at the wicket. I don't mind the extra balls he took to get to hundred. We need a player who can bat out the fifty overs more than we need a smasher. Ahmed Shahzad has shown the ability to be later kind of batsman as well. Kudos to selectors for sticking with him. Hammad Azam's pace was disappointing. I have seen him clock at 140KPH. I don't know who asked him to cut down on pace and bowl 78 MPH crap. :facepalm

azams pace was disappointing. but he did his job of containing in the middle. liked how junaid bowled a bit faster and hafeez and ajmal were just spot on as always

Nice to see Shehzad trying to stay at the wicket. I don't mind the extra balls he took to get to hundred. We need a player who can bat out the fifty overs more than we need a smasher. Ahmed Shahzad has shown the ability to be later kind of batsman as well. Kudos to selectors for sticking with him. Hammad Azam's pace was disappointing. I have seen him clock at 140KPH. I don't know who asked him to cut down on pace and bowl 78 MPH crap. :facepalm

Ye ive liked the look @ Shezad since the ODI series in New Zealand. Its early days still, but i reckon he could be the opener you guys have been looking for since the retirement of Anwar.

On Azam yea his pace was very disappointing, doesn't look like he was worth bringing in for Razzaq ATM.

West Indies have named an unchanged squad for the 3rd ODI. :facepalm

Either they know something I don't or they want to get whitewashed.

maybe. still gota see his batting. i think may be he was bowling within himself.

He was definitely bowling within himself or it could just be the butterflies in the stomach as it was his debut. I have seen him bowl a good 8 ks quicker that this.

Taqueer Zia (Former PCB Chairman) believes since the newzeland series that Ahmed Shahzad is the future Sehwag for us so we should not lose him. Surely the guy has talent.

Though Azam is lacking pace but still I see a spark in him which Razzaq has been lacking for so long. If you see Razzaq's recent performances though he performed in some matches but his body language was totally failed as if he never wanted to play in the side. Very lazy and loser attitude.

Its good that we have new blood in like Azam and he will learn over time.

Last edited:
Razzaq is an old story now we must find new player and Let me tell you Hammad Azam is better batsman than bowler,but we lost only 5 Wickets in 2 matches so he couldn't bat

Finish the series Tonight and then bring Usman Salahuddin in,i wanna see more new Batmen in the Middle order

I agree with rehan he is absolutely correct . the way ahmed shehzad plays it seems that he is going to be a future star. and i reccon that junaid can be much better then mohammad amir if he practice a lot.

uffff why the rain stop the match every time at barbados just like in 2007 WC

So Chanderpaul has also put his two cents in; this is an excerpt from a letter in which he is annoyed about basically being called a lazy jerk.
Shiv said:
"I am particularly concerned about the following statements: 1. There's no discipline, there's no application. 2. No one man is bigger than the team, no one man is such a superstar he can decide if he is training today, if he's going to have treatment tomorrow, if he's going to attend a team meeting.

I am of the opinion that anyone reading these comments in the specific context will conclude that:

1. I, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, am an indisciplined individual and during my tenure as a West Indies player over the past fifteen years have lacked discipline and contributed to the West Indies team losing.

2. I, Shivnarine Chanderpaul have not applied myself or demonstrated any real application to my role as a member of the West Indies team over the past 15 years and by so doing have contributed to the West Indies team losing.

3. I, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, consider myself to be bigger than the team.

4. I, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, while a member of the West Indies team during the past fifteen years, have decided when I was training or not training.

5. I, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, while a member of the West Indies team during the past fifteen years, have decided when I was going to attend or not attend team meetings.

6. (Based on the accusations above) I, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, while a member of the West Indies team during the past fifteen years, have disregarded the coaches and managerial staff or undermined team discipline by my actions and attitude."

Says it all, really. Comments like those from Hilaire can sound appealing in their ideology, but in the context that the West Indies are basically shelving their best players, this is actually what has been suggested. It's either that or an explanation for a situation which does not exist, in other words, blatant lying. The WICB frequently talk as though they have all the answers, but never is claiming responsibility one of them. They have not improved Caribbean cricket in the last 15 years (and you might well argue that Chanderpaul himself has), which begs the question, is it purely the fault of the players, or does the WICB focus too much on addressing situations which do not exist?

WICB needs to tell these players what their intentions are and leave it at that.
Stop going back and fort, its childish. I can see where the players are coming from because there are issues like this all the time in the WICB. Just end it and thats that.

Focus on the players you have in the team now or the ones for the future and stop arguing with the ones that arent in the team at the moment. Let them do their own thing.

----------

Simmons been batting really well since his return but he needs to convert these starts. Make a big 50 or a century.

The ICC needs to have a hard long look at the bowling actions of some these bowlers.

Users who are viewing this thread