Patch#2 Notes - Patch is Live

The platform holders Sony & Xbox 360, do a fair bit of good when it comes to ensuring that content functions reasonably correctly. If things were similarily handled on PC and we on console had to wait in a similar fashion (thanks to our previous rampant piracy) then I'd say that we were reaping what we'd sewn and deserve to wait until things went through their processes.

Another thing that I hate hearing, as it simply does fit the research. Piracy is an issue of service quality and availability, not one of the price. There will always be a small minority who will pirate because that's what they do, but such issues exist on all distribution platforms, including modded consoles from what it seems. The issue that steam have solved magnificently was quality of service and availability, and they demonstrated and stuck to what they knew in that regard.

Ashes was cracked on Steam in minutes.

It's Ok to have opinions but some facts are also nice too :)

----------

Any citations to go with the word "research"?

You can't be serious...? Ashes was released as a complete game and I paid the complete price.

Really? The impression I was given was that it was still a work in progress. That's kind of interesting. Maybe it had something to do with how the contracts were drawn up.

Ashes was cracked on Steam in minutes.

It's Ok to have opinions but some facts are also nice too :)

----------

Any citations to go with the word "research"?

What do you mean "cracked on Steam in minutes"?

I'll dig up the papers if you really want.

Now I know you're not being serious.... thanks :rolleyes

Hey Ross. Off topic

You enjoying your time at e3. Best game you have seen?
And did you manage to take a peek at rugby 15. Some guys suggesting big ant is developing next rugby game. (The rugby forum) mentioning how great the cricket academy is.

Hey Ross. Off topic

You enjoying your time at e3. Best game you have seen?
And did you manage to take a peek at rugby 15. Some guys suggesting big ant is developing next rugby game. (The rugby forum) mentioning how great the cricket academy is.

Most things at the moment are :)

E3 has been great this year, I'm really excited about the Sony line-up coming, especially their Vita-TV and direct TV offerings with 1000+ titles from the psx/ps2 back catalogue available straight away along with most of the existing vita games (the ones that don't need touch like our Vita version of Jetpack Joyride). Later on Ps3 games will also stream direct to the Vita-TV and direct to Sony Tv's too.

I loved Mario Sunshine so it's cool to see that game mechanic return in Splatoon. In general Nintendo has some good software coming but I don't think they can save the Wii U, it's too far gone.

I haven't had enough time outside of meetings as yet, I'll do a round of the floor tomorrow and try to see as much as I can.

I think I have been reasonable in my answers. A little research and you would have known that Ashes was released as a finished game, but lets not let the facts get in the way of your story... I believe you were the one to introduce a "knife"?

There are many more papers that say the opposite to those you reference. Good Day.

I think I have been reasonable in my answers. A little research and you would have known that Ashes was released as a finished game, but lets not let the facts get in the way of your story... I believe you were the one to introduce a "knife"?

There are many more papers that say the opposite to those you reference. Good Day.

The "knife" comment was about kicking the Ashes 2014 game when they're down, you've won, you don't need to keep mentioning how poor it was. What I knew about it was in passing, and the impression I got after the release day fiasco (the original one) and what followed was that the steam release was a test one with the game not completely up to scratch, but I'll have to look further into that. If it was meant to be a complete and final version released, I must appologize, it was just what I got from the media releases at the time.

You haven't exactly been polite in terms of ideas that are against your own in terms of piracy, and you've been unwilling to discuss the issue properly. I'm more than happy for an in depth discussion of the literature if you want, but the simple point is that the recurring themes are that:
A: Availability and pricing are a key component
B: Piracy doesn't necessarily equate to loss in sales
C: In developing markets in particular piracy might actually increase profitability

Personally I don't like piracy, and I hope it's something that slowly disappears, but the key point is that using it as a cover all excuse doesn't make sense with the research. It's telling that two of the biggest firms, Google and Valve, have strikingly similar views on piracy, and that it's a case of producing a better product, and making it available, rather than hunting people down and crying foul. Valve in particular make the point, and have put their money where their mouth is, in that piracy is an issue of service, and has said on various occasions that the key to solving it is to offer a better service. Here's how he put it:

We think there is a fundamental misconception about piracy. Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem, If a pirate offers a product anywhere in the world, 24 x 7, purchasable from the convenience of your personal computer, and the legal provider says the product is region-locked, will come to your country 3 months after the US release, and can only be purchased at a brick and mortar store, then the pirate's service is more valuable.

Also:

Prior to entering the Russian market, we were told that Russia was a waste of time because everyone would pirate our products. Russia is now about to become [Steam's] largest market in Europe
- Gabe Newell on steam entering the Russian market

As for papers which say the opposite, which exactly? There are a lot of very outdated papers (from the 90s) which discuss piracy protection matters and ways of preventing it, but the research on decision making to my knowledge has all gone down the same path of showing that it is related to availability and quality of service, much as Gabe Newell suggests.

any news

any news on approval for patch 2? Will I be spending the weekend playing dbc

I am wondering why the last few comments have nothing to do with this topic take it else where :P

the research on decision making to my knowledge has all gone down the same path of showing that it is related to availability and quality of service
As far as I have read, availability and QOS are both factors, but the predominate one is that stuff for free > stuff for money. And that's what I think too.

Ashes was never advertised as "Early Access" or anything other than a full release AFAIK (despite the RRP being 30% of a normal RRP, PLUS having an additional 30% discount at launch, which perhaps indicated something was odd).
Worth noting that MS and Sony (or Steam) might NOT have been a gatekeeper against that: the game wasn't "broken", it was just awful. Like the health and safety people exist, but McDonalds is still allowed to operate: Their food is "clean" per say... it's just poison. ;)

Finally on piracy, I'd say one thing about that paper: the notion that "piracy does not cannibalise sales in developing countries" may well be true. But that doesn't mean I feel OK about just letting them just have it for free on principle.

any news on approval for patch 2? Will I be spending the weekend playing dbc

No news as yet.

I'll be off the air soon, it's after 1am here...

Users who are viewing this thread