Patch#2 Notes - Patch is Live

Most things at the moment are :)

E3 has been great this year, I'm really excited about the Sony line-up coming, especially their Vita-TV and direct TV offerings with 1000+ titles from the psx/ps2 back catalogue available straight away along with most of the existing vita games (the ones that don't need touch like our Vita version of Jetpack Joyride). Later on Ps3 games will also stream direct to the Vita-TV and direct to Sony Tv's too.

I loved Mario Sunshine so it's cool to see that game mechanic return in Splatoon. In general Nintendo has some good software coming but I don't think they can save the Wii U, it's too far gone.

I haven't had enough time outside of meetings as yet, I'll do a round of the floor tomorrow and try to see as much as I can.

:thumbs GTA5 for PC :thumbs

the research on decision making to my knowledge has all gone down the same path of showing that it is related to availability and quality of service

As far as I have read, availability and QOS are both factors, but the predominate one is that stuff for free > stuff for money. And that's what I think too.

Ashes was never advertised as "Early Access" or anything other than a full release AFAIK (despite the RRP being 30% of a normal RRP, PLUS having an additional 30% discount at launch, which perhaps indicated something was odd).
Worth noting that MS and Sony (or Steam) might NOT have been a gatekeeper against that: the game wasn't "broken", it was just awful. Like the health and safety people exist, but McDonalds is still allowed to operate: Their food is "clean" per say... it's just poison. ;)

Finally on piracy, I'd say one thing about that paper: the notion that "piracy does not cannibalise sales in developing countries" may well be true. But that doesn't mean I feel OK about just letting them just have it for free on principle.

Having a look through it all, that was meant to be a full game release, not an "Early Access" of any sort. I have no idea why they even tried it, after so many delays. The quiet release was particularly odd, especially with the discount. It seems that the impression of it being "test" was that they had delayed the console releases and were still, at time of release, not in a position to completely cancel them.

As for piracy, I entirely agree that you shouldn't just let it happen, but I just dislike it being treated as this cure all excuse, particularly when it comes with massive intrusive DRM which in many cases is poorly justified. What I particularly hate is paying for a game only to be punished for doing so (i.e. Settlers 7 I think it was that was virtually unplayable on my internet connection, despite being single player), but that comes under quality of service.

Steam seem to go about it the right way, and have managed to offer that quality of service without being overly intrusive and protecting against piracy. They went about it the right way and are now a major force in the market for it. Valve's overall approach has worked wonders.

In terms of the "free > stuff for money", this is one of those odd discussions that tends to come up. The overall situation appears to be however that it's never really free, and when given a paid alternative people tend to use it. People tend to cite moving with piracy, and an odd thing that comes up is that pirating movies tends to actually have a positive effect on sales, i.e. This paper (this is a PDF download) is study of university students, which again finds that piracy tends to increase demand in the real product, and didn't decrease going to the theatre. An overall theme though is that people, when it is available will in general prefer the "legit" option, as long as the quality of service is there.

Hopefully the issue of piracy can be further dealt with, but again, it is frustrating to see it used as a cure all defence by many. Personally though, the way that Valve in particular tackled the problem is worth serious attention considering their success in the last decade or so.

----------

but I don't think they can save the Wii U, it's too far gone.

Don't think they're that far gone, and with the sales of the 3DS they'll probably turn it around if they can get some more hype like Mario Kart 8 going. It sold of the order of 1.2 million units in the first week apparently, so if they can have Smash Bros U perform similarly and get hype going for their Zelda game in the works, you never know what might happen. It's completely understandable to see third parties backing away at this point though.

On that matter though, if the Wii U does have a turn around, would Big Ant consider a Don Bradman Cricket version for the Wii U in the future?

Digital triggers on the Wii U gamepad would probably make it tough to port and keep it a similar experience.

Digital triggers on the Wii U gamepad would probably make it tough to port and keep it a similar experience.

Didn't think of that.

Speaking of that though, it might be worth including in future versions of the manual an explicit references of that, it appears that a lot of people don't realise that the defensive and aggressive shots are actually sensitive to how far down the trigger is pulled.

The "knife" comment was about kicking the Ashes 2014 game when they're down, you've won, you don't need to keep mentioning how poor it was.
Problem was releasing ashes 14 was a suicide bomber approach at the end, which affected everyone, good thing thanks to the vocal PC members and internet not much damage was done,so i hope you understand if ross is not sympathizing with it.

And did you manage to take a peek at rugby 15. Some guys suggesting big ant is developing next rugby game. (The rugby forum) mentioning how great the cricket academy is.

Ok, off-topic, but have to answer. :) That guy is me. I'm not suggesting Big Ant is developing the next Rugby game, (because I have absolutely no clue).

I'm saying that for all we know right now about Tru Blu's plans in relation to a follow up Rugby title (and with Sidhe no longer doing one according to them), that if Tru Blu do finance one, that either Big Ant or Wicked Witch would be likely potential candidates to make one. Of those I definitely hope Big Ant end up involved.

Problem was releasing ashes 14 was a suicide bomber approach at the end, which affected everyone, good thing thanks to the vocal PC members and internet not much damage was done,so i hope you understand if ross is not sympathizing with it.

He certainly shouldn't sympathise, it risked killing what little good will there was to work with in the cricket gaming market. As it stands they have taken on a mammoth project of trying to basically revive the genre.

There's little point continuing to attack it though, the damage was partly avoided and what's done is done.

It was only brought up because I mentioned it, not Ross. I could have named other games to demonstrate the general usefulness of barriers and testing requirements at a platform level, but Ashes is the only one I've played as opposed to just reading the coverage of it or watching gameplay footage.

It was only brought up because I mentioned it, not Ross. I could have named other games to demonstrate the general usefulness of barriers and testing requirements at a platform level, but Ashes is the only one I've played as opposed to just reading the coverage of it or watching gameplay footage.

This. It's a great and very relevant example of what happens when there is no content control in place by the platform holder.

----------

We have Wii U Dev kits and have no likelihood of ever making a game with them.

It's dead*

*the Gamecube was also dead but they changed the form factor and added a controller and renamed it Wii, the dead can rise, but really, can't see them doing that twice.

Again, I honestly don't think it does demonstrate that: there's a big difference between "fit for purpose" and "fit for sale" which I'm not convinced any platform provides sufficient barriers (nor should they).

Have you seen how many Fart Apps there are on the app store? Have you seen Pepsi/Coke products? Cigarettes?

Again, I honestly don't think it does demonstrate that: there's a big difference between "fit for purpose" and "fit for sale" which I'm not convinced any platform provides sufficient barriers (nor should they).

Have you seen how many Fart Apps there are on the app store? Have you seen Pepsi/Coke products? Cigarettes?

As I'm sure you've seen in your travels, Sony/MS will find the bugs to fail you if they don't want your game on there.... indeed they can fail it at the concept approval stage.

Nintendo/Steam/Apple - if its technically correct out it goes!

As I'm sure you've seen in your travels, Sony/MS will find the bugs to fail you if they don't want your game on there.... indeed they can fail it at the concept approval stage.

Nintendo/Steam/Apple - if its technically correct out it goes!

It's tricky though. How many run-out bugs and animation glitches constitute a fail?

Dangerous to have such analogue rules.

It is but I've seen it.... and then you go to japan and see what they let them get away with over there - totally non-compliant junk! (Especially in the ps2 days.)

If their attempts are anything like the PC version - I'd be shocked if they could maintain a decent frame rate and keep within the resource limits. That sort of thing wouldn't be subjective.

This. It's a great and very relevant example of what happens when there is no content control in place by the platform holder.

----------

We have Wii U Dev kits and have no likelihood of ever making a game with them.

It's dead*

*the Gamecube was also dead but they changed the form factor and added a controller and renamed it Wii, the dead can rise, but really, can't see them doing that twice.

Steam does have content controls in place from what I know. To be honest I have no idea what happened with Ashes in that regard though.

As for the Wii U, with the hype around Mario Kart 8 and many of their products at E3 I would be very cautious writing it off. To my knowledge there are still more Wii Us out there than Xbones, and just about as many as the PS4. With the lacking libraries of the Xbone and PS4 the situation could very quickly change. Not saying it will, but I wouldn't be so quick as to write it off.

Users who are viewing this thread