Patch#2 Notes - Patch is Live

When starting out career as a 21, 26 or 31 year old will you still be able to achieve the same skills by the end of your career as when starting out as a 16 yr old? I think it would be good if you can achieve higher skills by starting younger just so that there is some reward for starting off with stats so much lower.

Yeah i know that but this is a game. 20 year career or 15 year doesn't make much difference, more when i tend to get the captaincy so easily. I ll just start at 21 so i will feel more realistic if i get the captaincy easily even.

We're waiting for one platform holder to tell us when, we have to have both.

No delay announced. ETA is still for tomorrow.

----------

We're waiting for one platform holder to tell us when, we have to have both.

What if you get approval from either one of MS/Sony? will you have to get approval of both or you can actually release the patch for platform for which it is approved.

Same happened with Patch 1, had to wait a while for both platforms to approve it - with us waiting on one to finish that process, though once it got 'approved' by both, it made it out on PS3 before Xbox.

@MattW/Others:

Is there a way to find strength/weakness of your own player?

I know R3 brings up that info for your opponent but couldn't figure out how to see it for your own player.

I can't wait for the age of consoles to come to an end. It seems to be already starting, but it will be nice when they no longer get to play the role of gatekeepers and disappear into history where they belong.

I am pushing as hard as I can on the one that is yet to approve.

I can't wait for the age of consoles to come to an end. It seems to be already starting, but it will be nice when they no longer get to play the role of gatekeepers and disappear into history where they belong.
I don't mind a gatekeeper - the current state of Steam shows quite well the job the console makers can do in stopping the floodgates.

Control of content has a place, we don't need 50,000 games a year and the lowest common denominator that this brings.

Even steam is very protected.

I don't mind a gatekeeper - the current state of Steam shows quite well the job the console makers can do in stopping the floodgates.

What is wrong with Steam? It's going great at this time. It also play the role of gatekeeper in a much more open fashion from what I've seen, in many cases with hotfixes coming out hours after a games release. Games like Football Manager, Civilization and Paradox's impressive collection of Grand Strategies have thrived on the platform, as well as the usual FPSes.

The only thing that the Xbone and PS4 offer over steam at this point is that they are they cheaper than a PC and standardized. Valve are looking to their steam machines to fill that niche though. Sony and Microsoft's exclusives at this time have been poor to mediocre at best, and Nintendo are the only ones justifying their existence with first party games at this time, but even they have struggled with sales.

What is wrong with Steam? It's going great at this time. It also play the role of gatekeeper in a much more open fashion from what I've seen, in many cases with hotfixes coming out hours after a games release. Games like Football Manager, Civilization and Paradox's impressive collection of Grand Strategies have thrived on the platform, as well as the usual FPSes.
The amount of awful games that simply don't function that are allowed on the Steam store - and that's ignoring the Greenlight stuff which you could forgive.

To use a relevant example - Ashes Cricket 2013 was prevented from being on consoles by the safeguards that Sony and Microsoft have in place, Steam let it on there and likely wouldn't have removed it if it weren't for 505 deciding to buckle to the media pressure.

Being able to patch at anytime on consoles would be of benefit - but even then, some basic pre-testing of patches at a platform level before they go out doesn't seem like a massive problem - in the case of patch 2, their processes caught a bug before it went out to users.

The amount of awful games that simply don't function that are allowed on the Steam store - and that's ignoring the Greenlight stuff which you could forgive.

To use a relevant example - Ashes Cricket 2013 was prevented from being on consoles by the safeguards that Sony and Microsoft have in place, Steam let it on there and likely wouldn't have removed it if it weren't for 505 deciding to buckle to the media pressure.

Being able to patch at anytime on consoles would be of benefit - but even then, some basic pre-testing of patches at a platform level before they go out doesn't seem like a massive problem - in the case of patch 2, their processes caught a bug before it went out to users.

Ashes is a good example of exactly why there needs to be independent testing.

My understanding it was people asking for refunds that caused the game to be pulled.

What a stance. I wonder what it's called when people decide that what they like and believe is best for everyone?

The platform holders Sony & Xbox 360, do a fair bit of good when it comes to ensuring that content functions reasonably correctly. If things were similarily handled on PC and we on console had to wait in a similar fashion (thanks to our previous rampant piracy) then I'd say that we were reaping what we'd sewn and deserve to wait until things went through their processes.

Last edited:
What a stance. I wonder what it's called when people decide that what they like and believe is best for everyone?

It's not what I like, I like console gaming, but the simply issue of the modern world is this odd middle ground between the days of a game once released being as is, and one where changes can be made, allowing games with serious issues to hit market, then get fixed as they go. In such a day and age ease and speed of patching should be considered a vital component of game development, yet consoles tend to make this harder, largely due to the standardized nature of them.

The observation is more based on the rapid decline of the consoles this generation, in particular in places like Japan where overall console sales seem to be far below what many expected. The overall effect is that systems like steam look set to replace the consoles in the coming gaming generation.

The only manufacturer who might survive long term in the console world seems to be Nintendo as they offer something slightly more tangible than just "cheap standardized PC", which is the only vibe being given off by the PS4 and Xbone from what I can tell. Yet even Nintendo have struggled with console sales.

Speaking of Ashes Cricket 2013 though, really, stick the knife in guys? My understanding was that it was released on steam as part of their "in development" releases, not as a full complete game.

With steam unless you're in the "Early Access" section I'm yet to come across what would be deemed a "broken game" beyond Ashes 2013, and I might look into the full story behind that in the future.

It'll be interesting to see what the future holds, but at this time it seems that console gaming is either going to need to modernize in how it deals with getting products to the customer, and the pace of updates and support, or it will soon be passed over and become somewhat of a historic relic.

Speaking of Ashes Cricket 2013 though, really, stick the knife in guys? My understanding was that it was released on steam as part of their "in development" releases, not as a full complete game.

You can't be serious...? Ashes was released as a complete game and I paid the complete price.

Users who are viewing this thread