Patch#2 Notes - Patch is Live

Is this the english appreciation society? Sorry about the grammar you see im working class, went to school in glasgow when thatcher was destroying every ones lives and most teachers where as good as milk monitors.

that's really disappointing, actually. I played earlier today for the first time in a while, and the AI fields just jumped out at me immediately as horrible.

i'd forgotten how bad, to be honest, because in career mode they tend to use my own custom field against me. but this was a casual test match, veteran level, and they were using "their" field. they're shocking, they set fields that never have, and never will be seen on a cricket field. i'd love to know how they got this area so wrong. i really hope it's resolved.

if they were releasing DBC15 today, I wouldn't buy it until i heard that the field setting was fixed. it's utterly immersion breaking.

+1

I have not touched the game in 3 weeks, things like this really detracts me from playing, hence the reason why I was eagerly awaiting patch 2.

Saw a job advert today which required an "extremely high level of spelling and grammer".

Matt's post about the fielding bit is a big put off for me. I was looking forward to some matches against AI but it looks likely to be a lame exercise taking in view the idiotic field setting. Well I hope patch 3 focuses on this aspect.
Well the less extreme fielding helps make the field settings less of an issue, so matches will be improved.

There are tweaks that mean you get fewer 'idiotic' field settings, I've not seen cases of two fielders in basically the same spot, or things like that.

Is this the english appreciation society? Sorry about the grammar you see im working class, went to school in glasgow when thatcher was destroying every ones lives and most teachers where as good as milk monitors.

If anyone every insults your "English", you should just question their grasp on linguistics. If you are a native speaker, and you are understood by those around you, by the very definition of what a language is, you are not just right, but entirely right. If they can't understand you, then they can't correct you. If they can't correct you, they can't say you're wrong, as they don't know any better. If they can correct you, they understood what you said, and as such it is by definition correct.

So no, the English appreciation society would celebrate your type of English for the wonderful show of diversity of humanity it is.

This all said, please, please, don't be like some and just leave vowels out, or use "txt speak". That's not how you were taught, that is not how you learned from your relatives, that is laziness.

If anyone every insults your "English", you should just question their grasp on linguistics. If you are a native speaker, and you are understood by those around you, by the very definition of what a language is, you are not just right, but entirely right. If they can't understand you, then they can't correct you. If they can't correct you, they can't say you're wrong, as they don't know any better. If they can correct you, they understood what you said, and as such it is by definition correct.

So no, the English appreciation society would celebrate your type of English for the wonderful show of diversity of humanity it is.

This all said, please, please, don't be like some and just leave vowels out, or use "txt speak". That's not how you were taught, that is not how you learned from your relatives, that is laziness.

that is utter nonsense. every language has a "standard" form, as opposed to dialects, which are themselves further distinct from barely coherent though identifiable/intelligible use of either the dialect or the standard form.

the dialects and standard forms have rules, to enable the listener (or reader in this context) to understand the speaker (or writer) with the minimum of effort. this is obviously valuable in communication, and for a social animal. there is a generative grammar, with rules, that is innate in humans (not language specific, but common across languages at the neural level) - see the work of Chomsky/Pinker.

the fact of other people being able to, with work, understand what he said doesn't make him correct. i could, in certain contexts, make myself understood in french or russian, but my sentences would by no means be correct. by very virtue of the fact of the listener/reader having to do work to make his communication intelligible, he is actually by definition "wrong".

unless of course he was speaking in a dialect, but while there is a Scotch dialect, his post certainly wasn't written in that, and i am not aware of any dialect named "inchoherent sweaty, with a thatcher-shaped chip on their shoulder".

Last edited:
What! Can you dumb it down a bit for me. My point was its a cricket forum not an english lesson! I did not like thatcher for hammering the working class but the alternative was just as bad I trust politicians as much as I do police officers! So be cool

Last edited:
that is utter nonsense. every language has a "standard" form, as opposed to dialects, which are themselves further distinct from barely coherent though identifiable/intelligible use of either the dialect or the standard form.

the dialects and standard forms have rules, to enable the listener (or reader in this context) to understand the speaker (or writer) with the minimum of effort. this is obviously valuable in communication, and for a social animal. there is a generative grammar, with rules, that is innate in humans (not language specific, but common across languages at the neural level) - see the work of Chomsky/Pinker.

the fact of other people being able to, with work, understand what he said doesn't make him correct. i could, in certain contexts, make myself understood in french or russian, but my sentences would by no means be correct. by very virtue of the fact of the listener/reader having to do work to make his communication intelligible, he is actually by definition "wrong".

unless of course he was speaking in a dialect, but while there is a Scotch dialect, his post certainly wasn't written in that, and i am not aware of any dialect named "inchoherent sweaty, with a thatcher-shaped chip on their shoulder".

It's nice that you subscribe to the "I'm right" theory of linguistics. But the simple point is that the only part of that post that is worth talking about is the "standard form" of a language. Standard forms are used in some contexts, but in reality no native speakers actually speak them, and they are more learning tools than anything else (see "Modern Standard Arabic").

With the patch in limbo, what else is there to discuss though. Discussing "standard English" is a bit odd as it's based on false premises, wrong assumptions and rules that don't even apply to itself. It's comical to be honest. It's a "language" shaped by so called "enlightenment era" ideologies, including many things not discussed in polite conversation these days. They added bizarre spelling rules that never existed in the language to Latinise and Hellenise words with non Latin or Hellenic words. They chose an urban, upper class base for their rules, rather than that of the common folk, for reasons that are again, no discussed in polite conversation. Ultimately though we now get taught in writing a standard form of English that is intelligible but most speakers of the language, which has it benefits.

The key we must consider is what different regions teach though. In speech we are so diverse it's comical at time. Linguistically American and British English are quite separate, and only our bizarre, antiquated "spelling rules" keep them intelligible by writing (again, a standard form of spelling has it's uses). If I wrote: "Giv mii sum wader" you'd likely be quite confused, but that is the style writing in English took under standardised spelling was introduced. Many towns, and old words actually keep antiquated spellings that don't reflect modern pronunciation as well, but again, standards have uses. This all said, the lonely 'z' must cry itself to sleep.

Dialects are a fun concept, generally you can go through a region and see a nice spectrum of a language, including the phonemes (South East Asia is particularly fun, as are some regions in Africa). Ultimately though the boundaries of a language and a dialect are more to do with politics than they are to do with linguistic side of things. That's a whole other discussion though.

It really can become quite a fun discussion, not sure a cricket forum is the place though.

----------

What! Can you dumb it down a bit for me. My point was its a cricket forum not an english lesson! I did not like thatcher for hammering the working class but the alternative was just as bad I trust politicians as much as I do police officers! So be cool

If we can understand you, you are correct. That's the nuts and bolts of it.

It's like anything, don't use styles that can't be understood. That includes things like "txt speak", overly technical language and such.

I think we're wandering off the point a little. Bottom line if you take time over making your posts readable people are more likely to read them.
Thank you though for playing up to Wegie stereotypes.

Glad to be of service, im just one walking sterotype of glaswegian/ serbian heritage who loves cricket!
I think wegie is a derogatory term used by posh people from edinburgh to describe good hardworking people like myself!

Last edited:
This clearly is going to go downhill so let's move on and talk about something else - like patch 3 !

So I assume, that as you have the PC version of DB Cricket , patch 2 isn't up to much?

Actually haven't had chance to install, never mind play pc version yet so don't know

Patch 3 comment was my unfunny attempt to diffuse the grammar convo :p

Users who are viewing this thread