Patch Discussion - PS4 (1.08) & Xbox One (1.0.0.9)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jaffar the issues i see with the fields in the vid are
Long form fields cover region, square isnt protected much.

Long form fields i find the present presets pretty good apart from maybe too many slips in some.

Short form balance fields need to have 5 out

Medium form balance fields need 4 out.

The game right now is not intelligent to choose between 3-4-5 out fields.

Also regions like cover and on drive region could have some protection in limited overs.

This is just my opinion and not what ba are going to do.

I personally feel the present presets are plenty, yes there are quite a few bad ones in limited overs not covering square leg, quirky bad ones etc but if they can be weeded out and tweaked or replaced with some good ones from your list should be pretty good.
The rest go pretty well along with the game.
In my opinion one big problem is the issue of real life fields vs in game fields. By that I mean setting a field that looks like something you'd see in the real world isn't necessarily going to be effective in the game.

I frequently spread my slips out and usually don't bother with 1st or 2nd because the keeper will usually dive across. First thing I do is move fine leg to square because fine leg isn't necessary in my view on the game. There's often huge gaps if the field has a Point and no one behind square. I usually cover the gap with a 9th slip and Backward Point, something I'm sure the AI would not do.

The AI doesn't, to my knowledge, have the ability to move fielders individually, I think this is a huge advantage to the human player. I could understand it might be tough to implement the ability for the AI to make decisions involving moving one player but to simplify it perhaps there could be restrictions linked to zones/regions on the pitch; e.g. a fielder at Point may move to Forward Point or Backward Point but nowhere else unless the fields changes. So, the AI can make small adjustments but the player remains in the general area. That might be even more difficult to implement, but I do think the field settings give the human player a massive advantage.
I'd also say @zimrahil makes a good point about fields matching how a bowler bowls - ideally there should be some kind of bowling plan that goes hand in hand with the field.

Whether it's an issue of tweaks needing to be made to the positions of the fielders or just a bit more tweaking to fields themselves I'm not sure.

ideally there should be some kind of bowling plan that goes hand in hand with the field.

This is how it should be that kind of depth simply doesnt seem to be there with fielding selection, or dont think it can be expected this iteration.
What we have done this time is avoid major annoyances mostly like attacking fields popping up in limited overs after powerplay.
Mostly the general way it goes is attacking in Powerplays and then balance and then defense in death overs or if batsman is gung ho attacking.

Interms of realism vs gameplay i do agree with that for limited overs, though wrt tests i would say realistic looking fields are better as in tests anyway if you go over infield any 2-3 out field will fall apart so might as well have a better looking one. Though do agree in some test fields slips could be reduced a bit.

In my opinion one big problem is the issue of real life fields vs in game fields. By that I mean setting a field that looks like something you'd see in the real world isn't necessarily going to be effective in the game.

I frequently spread my slips out and usually don't bother with 1st or 2nd because the keeper will usually dive across. First thing I do is move fine leg to square because fine leg isn't necessary in my view on the game. There's often huge gaps if the field has a Point and no one behind square. I usually cover the gap with a 9th slip and Backward Point, something I'm sure the AI would not do.

The first paragraph is essential foundation to understanding how to create fields that hopefully give a challenging experience to human batting imo

The default fields must take into account batting/bowling/fielding mechanics, so things like

• How far wk dives for catches
  • AI bowling plans (or lack thereof )
  • ‘Go to’ shot areas when human batting
  • Respecting as much as possible the field types and match format (long format aggressive, short format defensive etc)

We are not quite at point of having international style field setups as the game obviously doesn’t 100% reflect real life yet in regards to pitch types, over head conditions, skill of players, match situations etc but from my experience a good set of default fields goes a long way towards making human batting a reasonable and fun challenge

/ramble

Testers would know better, do the field options have any metadata assigned to it, apart from the obvious Powerplay, Defensive, etc.?

I think we can solve the issue of AI not understanding fields enough to stop the Humans, by attaching enough relevant metadata to each field option.

AI is not using 5 fielders most of the times. Is there anyway it can be possible to use T20 fields in this powerplay?

Ya it should be possible, i think sometimes the AI gets stuck with a field and i think there are one or two odi def field with 4 out, if thats tweaked to 5 out should be good.

Yeah, spinners actually have something like 5 or 6 field options in power play, the issue is the program code is only choosing the same one
I just cross checked. For ODI (medium form) there is no field for spinners for powerplay (i.e. with two fielders outside). They always choose pace inner ring field.

Ya it should be possible, i think sometimes the AI gets stuck with a field and i think there are one or two odi def field with 4 out, if thats tweaked to 5 out should be good.
I think most of the T20 fields are having 5 fielders. So instead of using odi def fields, i hope logic can changed to use t20 fields in this final powerplay of ODIs.

The default fields must take into account batting/bowling/fielding mechanics, so things like

• How far wk dives for catches
  • AI bowling plans (or lack thereof )
  • ‘Go to’ shot areas when human batting
  • Respecting as much as possible the field types and match format (long format aggressive, short format defensive etc)

This is exactly how most of the fields presets are set mainly for limited overs after a lot of gameplay, its just in 250 fields a few bad ones got into it, once they are weeded out/tweaked should be pretty good.

For tests these rules still apply just that it edges a bit more to realism, as you are not going to set 4-3 out fields in tests just to contain gameplay, and any way if you are going with 1-3 out might as well make it look realistic.

Also from playing experience the attacking fields in tests are better as they really put pressure on you unless you go aerial at higher difficulties.

So instead of using odi def fields, i hope logic can changed to use t20 fields in this final powerplay of ODIs.

there are plenty of 5 out in odi too, but ya t20 def fields can be used too. Its just that AI has got into habit of using certain fields more and this happens to be a bad choice once they are sorted it would be fine, dont see any harm in adding the t20 fields too if there is space.

This is exactly how most of the fields presets are set mainly for limited overs after a lot of gameplay, its just in 250 fields a few bad ones got into it, once they are weeded out/tweaked should be pretty good.

For tests these rules still apply just that it edges a bit more to realism, as you are not going to set 4-3 out fields in tests just to contain gameplay, and any way if you are going with 1-3 out might as well make it look realistic.

Also from playing experience the attacking fields in tests are better as they really put pressure on you unless you go aerial at higher difficulties.

Would be great if the default fields are tuned. However, the current wicket keeper and slip fielder reach(coverage) kinda defeats the purpose of having 1st slip and adjacent slip fielders in place. Maybe it's a different topic altogether.

ya wk does cover one to two slips easily.I think from 3-4th slip onwards they do come into play in tests mainly against spin, and once we can get more varied edges of batting should definitely be a good option.

I guess that’s the beauty of opinions, we can all have different ones.....

I guess that’s the beauty of opinions, we can all have different ones.....
If only there was someone who had vast amounts of experience and knowledge in this field and would be willing to spend countless hours setting up appropriate fields for the game......:rolleyes:eek::wave:clap:cheers:D:facepalm:rolleyes:(:spy;)

I just cross checked. For ODI (medium form) there is no field for spinners for powerplay (i.e. with two fielders outside). They always choose pace inner ring field.

Hmm, I am sure ‘behind the scenes’ there is more than one option for PP overs but not in a position to check, or do you mean with current default fields there are literally no PP fields for spinners with two outfielders? (Again in no position to check)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread