People who have already preordered the game

Went into EB Games in Wellington CBD yesterday and there was no sign of this. Several other games yet to be released had pre-order boxes on the shelf and even whole stands devoted to them. Not even so much as a poster for this. Seemed very odd 2 weeks out from release, especially as a pre-order from them includes the exclusive steel box.

I didn't bother asking as I'm not pre-ordering, and wouldn't from there anyway as they're more expensive than everywhere else but I wonder if the staff even knew of game. Seems very strange that 2 weeks from release the game is not known outside of this forum. You'd expect some sign of it in the store with an exclusive pre-order deal wouldn't you?

Went into a different EB Games in Wellington today, in my suburb rather than CBD and again no sign of the game and it doesn't even appear in their pre-order catalogue. Bet the staff wouldn't have a clue either if you asked for a pre-order. I understand the word of mouth thing of course but surely people need to know about the game to be able to give their word to others don't they? Seems a bit risky to be entirely relying on word of mouth of members of this forum. I don't think anyone is expecting TV commercials or billboards in city centres or bus stops or anything, but wouldn't you expect many games to at least have a some sort of presence in stores like a poster or a box saying "Out (insert date). Pre-order now?"

Last edited:
Do you seriously expect their to be signage in literally every EB store for a non AAA game?

No but I'd probably expect a box on the shelf advertising the exclusive pre-order deal, at least in the branch in the CBD of the capital. Can't imagine it would be an extremely large investment. How do they expect to sell any? Or do they expect sales to Planet Cricket members to be enough?

Being the capital of NZ, a city where cricket is pretty big (Boxing Day tests etc), I'd expect Wellington to be the major market in NZ along with Auckland. There are 2 EB Games stores in Wellington City and a 3rd one just outside Wellington City but in the wider Wellington region. None of the stores have any sign of this game's existence. Even in their pre-order catalogues which supposedly list every game available for pre-order. Just thought it seemed a bit odd when there's actually an exclusive bonus with a pre-order from them.

Last edited:
Do you seriously expect their to be signage in literally every EB store for a non AAA game?
Yes. Because Ross has mentioned in the past that they have to pay for it and that all the EB stores should have the same layout for that sort of thing.

No but I'd probably expect a box on the shelf advertising the exclusive pre-order deal. Can't imagine it would be an extremely large investment. How do they expect to sell any? Or do they expect sales to Planet Cricket members to be enough?

No way in hell are we enough, there are a lot of cricket fans out there that will get a lovely surprise next month. The younger kids will love it, asking there mothers for there pocket money early like I did as a kid.:thumbs

I guess my question is then, how will those younger kids know about the game assuming they don't post on here? Are Planet Cricket members expected to spread the word to enough people to make the game successful/profitable?

I bet they will go to the shops and see a new cricket game, maybe buy it right then or look the game up online.

I guess my question is then, how will those younger kids know about the game assuming they don't post on here? Are Planet Cricket members expected to spread the word to enough people to make the game successful/profitable?

Define Younger kids.

Whoever 79cricket meant I guess. Anyway I know nothing about the industry so I guess I can't question it although it does seem reasonable to expect that more (or in this case some) promotion of a pre-order deal probably results in more pre-orders. Was just surprised to see no sign of it in the store with an exclusive pre-order deal that's all. Anyway once it's out I guess people will see it on the shelf. Some promotion of it may get more people into the store to look for it though.

Last edited:
Yes. Because Ross has mentioned in the past that they have to pay for it and that all the EB stores should have the same layout for that sort of thing.

It's funny because they had this months ago last year. I can't remember when exactly, it may have been around the time the steel case deal with EB Games was announced. The CBD branch had an entire stand full of boxes for this advertising the pre-order and steel case. But now 2 weeks out from release the stores don't even seem to know it's releasing. Would have thought this would be exactly the time that display would be put out.

It's funny because they had this months ago last year.

As Ross said, there is costs for this. Not even my store in Australia has any advertising up. Ross has said one of his local ones does. However, he also said that the public marketing campaign is only running for 2 weeks prior to the release of the game.. so perhaps this stuff is to come back out of the back rooms next week.

As Ross said, there is costs for this. Not even my store in Australia has any advertising up. Ross has said one of his local ones does. However, he also said that the public marketing campaign is only running for 2 weeks prior to the release of the game.. so perhaps this stuff is to come back out of the back rooms next week.

But it's barely 11 days away from the day of release and with tomorrow being Sunday one less day. 10 days is sort of cutting it way too close for my liking. Would have loved for the PR and marketing to be kicked off along with World T20 kick off.

Users who are viewing this thread