Pitch sliders - Asked the question for C22, now onto initial tinkering and discussion

D

Dutch

That already crossed my mind. Wouldn't surprise me that a setting for a realistic bounce for a fast bowler is utterly unusable for a spinner.

That would be annoying, to say the least.
Well you could use two different difficulty settings and switch them when a spinner or fast bowler is on? Pain in the jacksy but a work around?

Wealey

ICC Board Member
Behave! :-D

i actually did what @Dutch suggested by having a spinner setting and pace bowler setting. Was a ball ache however.
I found that having the good length deliver trimming the bails on some pitch produced different dismissals and play and misses. But like you said to achieve that the spin bounce was all types of wrong!

keen to put some time into this though!
Post automatically merged:

I’m also.. praying after two years of bugging the devs during beta that pitches would of got some kind of love!

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
That already crossed my mind. Wouldn't surprise me that a setting for a realistic bounce for a fast bowler is utterly unusable for a spinner.

That would be annoying, to say the least.
I honestly think if the look of pitches, and subsequent deterioration, was better the majority of issues people have with pitches would disappear.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
But…but wasn’t DBC 14, 17 & Ashes the solid foundations? :eek:

Nice to see you around @zimrahil. To answer your question, DBC 14 yes, others no. DBC 17 and Ashes were a step back from DBC 14 and I found Cricket 19 as the best version since the original iteration. It still has a few challenges but I hope that's the baseline for any future iterations rather than reinventing the wheel.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
i actually did what @Dutch suggested by having a spinner setting and pace bowler setting. Was a ball ache however.
I found that having the good length deliver trimming the bails on some pitch produced different dismissals and play and misses. But like you said to achieve that the spin bounce was all types of wrong!

keen to put some time into this though!
Post automatically merged:

I’m also.. praying after two years of bugging the devs during beta that pitches would of got some kind of love!
My plan for now is to grab some data, maybe for a few pitches in England, Australia, India and West Indies, just as four parts of the world that should have some variety, and see what sort of delivery in terms of length and speed would clip the bails.

I'll probably do that for spinners and seamers, a few different bowlers for each. A Mark Wood/James Anderson type comparison, RF vs RMF, and then also a leg spin/off spin comparison perhaps.

Once I've got that data and it's fairly consistent, then it'll be time to port it into Cricket 22 and see how it's reflected.

In Ashes, from memory, there used to be a bowling speed slider. Is that still there? Was used to turn up or down the velocity of deliveries. It nearly always needed turning down as the game had a thing for as many guys as possible rocking 90+mph if you left it untouched.

That slider in relation to bounce may help to find a sweet spot for this. We shall see.

TemPSaad

Associate Captain
They can add vs PACE and vs SPIN option in the custom difficulty settings instead of just batting and bowling as of now. By that way we can use different sliders preset for pacers and spinners. will save alot of changing the sliders for pacers and spinners manually.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Yep day five was always easier than day one
This is partly what got me thinking about pitch sliders on Ashes cricket. I wanted conditions to deteriorate.

Granted some pitches do flatten out IRL, but most don't, and the game never seemed to able to account for that. It's kind of a massive part of test cricket IMO.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Quick question to anyone with Cricket 19....

Is there any way to see the length of a ball that has been bowled? Like this pitch map, which is from the ICC website:

1635504319753.png

I've seen that there is a pitch map in Big Ant games. Pretty sure there was a pitch map on Ashes anyway, but there's no lengths on it to show pitch length. Just wanted someone to confirm.

I did find this useful video on a bowling tutorial vid, and full credit to "Twistie3" for it (link here). I grabbed a screen from it when he was showing a pitch map with his own overlay:

1635503540521.png

As a bit of group think, what do we think that we can say a "good length" ball is in Big Ant games? Using X, on PS, with no shoulder button modifier. I would think that it would be 7m, give or take.

X+R1 would be more like 6-6.5m, and X+L1 would be closer to 7.5-8m. I would say 6-8m is a good length.

So long as it's generally agreed what a good length ball is, that then makes comparing Cricket 22 to a real life data much easier.

It would also comply with the general though IRL, and that 6-8m being a "good length":

1635504108843.png

Cheers guys!

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Quick question to anyone with Cricket 19....

Is there any way to see the length of a ball that has been bowled? Like this pitch map, which is from the ICC website:

View attachment 256743

I've seen that there is a pitch map in Big Ant games. Pretty sure there was a pitch map on Ashes anyway, but there's no lengths on it to show pitch length. Just wanted someone to confirm.

I did find this useful video on a bowling tutorial vid, and full credit to "Twistie3" for it (link here). I grabbed a screen from it when he was showing a pitch map with his own overlay:

View attachment 256741

As a bit of group think, what do we think that we can say a "good length" ball is in Big Ant games? Using X, on PS, with no shoulder button modifier. I would think that it would be 7m, give or take.

X+R1 would be more like 6-6.5m, and X+L1 would be closer to 7.5-8m. I would say 6-8m is a good length.

So long as it's generally agreed what a good length ball is, that then makes comparing Cricket 22 to a real life data much easier.

It would also comply with the general though IRL, and that 6-8m being a "good length":

View attachment 256742

Cheers guys!
The lengths are pretty much the same as you'd see in those images.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
My plan for now is to grab some data, maybe for a few pitches in England, Australia, India and West Indies, just as four parts of the world that should have some variety, and see what sort of delivery in terms of length and speed would clip the bails.

I'll probably do that for spinners and seamers, a few different bowlers for each. A Mark Wood/James Anderson type comparison, RF vs RMF, and then also a leg spin/off spin comparison perhaps.

Once I've got that data and it's fairly consistent, then it'll be time to port it into Cricket 22 and see how it's reflected.

In Ashes, from memory, there used to be a bowling speed slider. Is that still there? Was used to turn up or down the velocity of deliveries. It nearly always needed turning down as the game had a thing for as many guys as possible rocking 90+mph if you left it untouched.

That slider in relation to bounce may help to find a sweet spot for this. We shall see.
As an update, and some early progress after having a poke around with what is available, I've put something like this together:

1635519271789.png

Fairly rudimentary approach, but it gives some basic data to try and replicate directly in the game. It's far from an exact science, but I think it should provide what is required. There's so many variables to all this kind of stuff, how hard the ball is, what the weather has been like, what day the match is on, fatigue etc. Can't ever account for all that, but I still think getting some usable data is possible.

I've done English conditions for Mark Wood and for Jimmy Anderson, and I'll do spinners as well (likely Leach and Ali, given the number of appearances between them in recent years). Probably map out different lengths again, 3m/4m/5m/6m I reckon, see what the bounce is like.

It's a start at any rate. I should have this part closed off in the next week or two, fingers crossed!

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
I caught a Nets video posted in the main Cricket 22 thread earlier, this little nugget caught my eye.

Screenshot_20211103-215938.png

Mixed pitch types?!?

Pitch condition settings from day 1 to day 5?!?

Are these new additions for Cricket 22 or were they around for Cricket 19 as well??

Users who are viewing this thread